R4DS + 3in1 won't save

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by pamaro, Jul 24, 2007.

Jul 24, 2007

R4DS + 3in1 won't save by pamaro at 3:35 PM (2,702 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
    I'm having quite a few problems with the saves on r4ds and the 3in1 and can't see what I'm missing. I've tried using both Rudolph's tools and NDStation. Here's what I've done.

Attempt 1:
    1 - Patch the ROM with GBATA
    2 - Create a GBA folder on the mem card and, inside it, a SAVE folder
    3 - Load Rudolph's tools
    Note: I always get a message saying something like "SRAM memory is empty - can't backup to sav"

Attempt 2:
    1 - Patch the ROM with GBATA
    2 - Patch the ROM with NDStation
    3 - Load it normally

Attempt 3:
    Same as attempt 2, but without step 1

I've tried this with Advance Wars, since it's quick to see whether or not the save is working (just do a quick mission and hit save). I can see .SAV files in the mem card, but, for some reason, the game always boots up as if there was no save.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I remember a detailed tutorial on r4ds.net, but sadly r4ds.net is gone and hasn't returned yet... so I'm following the readmes. But I must be missing something. :?

2. zoharmodifier

Member zoharmodifier GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You have to use the EZ4 Client to patch ROMs that won't save correctly.

3. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Yes....and no.

You ONLY use the EZ4 Client to patch ROMS with a 1024Mbit FLASH .sav type, no more. ALL OTHER save types should be patched with GBATA. You use the client, load it to PSRAM, save, and see if it works.

But try the EZ4 client, by all means, and see if it works. [​IMG]

4. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
    Tried with the EZ4 Client... same thing.

Am I missing any step?

The save files are in the card, but for some reason the loaders aren't reading them.

The actual error message I mentioned earlier is: "SRAM save data not found - Can't backup to SAV file". I get this everytime I try to run a game with Rudolph's.

5. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
    Just tried using a previous version of rudolph's tools, same error. I'm starting to think it could be a faulty unit... :S

6. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
  7. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
    I've followed exactly those steps. [​IMG]

Interestingly enough, he also had the same error message I get when loading the rom... so I guess I'm supposed to get that too.

8. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
    After researching a while more, I'm beginning to think this problem could be related to the battery. Is this a possibility? If yes, is the 3in1 battery rechargeable?

9. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    If your logic is correct, it seems that the battery is perfectly replaceable:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
    I've read about battery replacement, but seems like I'd need to do some soldering and that isn't among my skills.

One note that I forgot to add: this is a new 3in1, just got it today. [​IMG]

11. SargeSmash

Member SargeSmash GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The EZ-Flash Client is EVIL. Only use where necessary. That is, 1Mb Flash save games. I pulled out quite a bit of hair trying to figure out why I was losing saves constantly.

That being said, initially, the save will not exist. So that message is probably okay. Find out after you get in-game, save, then reboot and load the same game. If you're still losing saves, something's up.

Try the ROM with your attempt #1 again. I'm pretty sure that message is okay the first time, if it's repetitive, then something's wrong.

12. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
    It's repetitive, unfortunately. [​IMG]

The saves are created, I can see them in the mem card... I just can't load'em afterwards. Wonder if the SRAM bit where saves are stored is damaged. :S

13. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It sounds like a bad battery. Here's a test to see if the SRAM/battery is not working:
    If you have a hex editor you can compare the files yourself (they should be the same except for an 8KB chunk near the middle), otherwise just post your SRAM.BIN and I'll look at it.

Those save files on the memory card are created when you load a game onto the 3-in-1. They don't have any data in them at first; the actual save isn't written to the file until you load a different game or back the save up manually.

14. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
  15. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The test pattern is gone, replaced with garbage data. Your SRAM is not retaining data, probably because of a bad battery.

16. pamaro
    OP

Newcomer pamaro Member

Portugal
    I'll contact the store, then... [​IMG]

17. JacobReaper

United States

you must have really used it if it doesnt save .. in ONE DAY.. lol [​IMG]

18. scoozer

Member scoozer GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Hello,

I have a general question:

Ive patched Zelda Minish Cap with GBATA ("SRAM Patcher") and now I can start it from Rudolphs 3in1 ExpPack 1.9 when I select the PSRAM. No error fine, I can start a new Game and can save the Game.

After that I close my DS and start it up. I have a R4 and when I select the 2ND Slot Bootload the game starts correctly but says that my Saves are corrupted. Ok, I restart my DS and start Rudolphs Tools again and when I select PSRAM again it works fine, my save is ok.

So my question is why does it say I have a corrupted save file when I start GBA Mode from the R4 Menu?

My second question is, Im only playing Minish Cap now, but what happens to my save etc. when I copy a new GBA Game to my card and select PSRAM etc from Rudolphs Tool. Could it be that my Saves from Zelda will deleted?

Thank you

19. JacobReaper

United States
    just use NDStaion, its much easier, heres a vid

Click

20. scoozer

Member scoozer GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Ok it seems nice to have a .nds File and you are able to start it like a NintendoDS Game.
    Ive tried it now with Minish Cap. The .nds File of the game has 16,2MB. Ive put it in my Games directory where NDS are also.
    But when I start it the Errors comes again... "Savefile corrupted..." blah
    Then made another .nds File but now with deselected PSRAM Option in NDStation1.1 ... but same Errormessage.

Any solution why this happpens?