Hacking R4DS + 3in1 won't save

pamaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having quite a few problems with the saves on r4ds and the 3in1 and can't see what I'm missing. I've tried using both Rudolph's tools and NDStation. Here's what I've done.

Attempt 1:
1 - Patch the ROM with GBATA
2 - Create a GBA folder on the mem card and, inside it, a SAVE folder
3 - Load Rudolph's tools
Note: I always get a message saying something like "SRAM memory is empty - can't backup to sav"

Attempt 2:
1 - Patch the ROM with GBATA
2 - Patch the ROM with NDStation
3 - Load it normally

Attempt 3:
Same as attempt 2, but without step 1

I've tried this with Advance Wars, since it's quick to see whether or not the save is working (just do a quick mission and hit save). I can see .SAV files in the mem card, but, for some reason, the game always boots up as if there was no save.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I remember a detailed tutorial on r4ds.net, but sadly r4ds.net is gone and hasn't returned yet... so I'm following the readmes. But I must be missing something. :?

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You have to use the EZ4 Client to patch ROMs that won't save correctly.

Yes....and no.

You ONLY use the EZ4 Client to patch ROMS with a 1024Mbit FLASH .sav type, no more. ALL OTHER save types should be patched with GBATA. You use the client, load it to PSRAM, save, and see if it works.

But try the EZ4 client, by all means, and see if it works.
wink2.gif

pamaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tried with the EZ4 Client... same thing.

Am I missing any step?

The save files are in the card, but for some reason the loaders aren't reading them.

The actual error message I mentioned earlier is: "SRAM save data not found - Can't backup to SAV file". I get this everytime I try to run a game with Rudolph's.

pamaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried using a previous version of rudolph's tools, same error. I'm starting to think it could be a faulty unit... :S

pamaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've followed exactly those steps.
frown.gif

Interestingly enough, he also had the same error message I get when loading the rom... so I guess I'm supposed to get that too.

pamaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After researching a while more, I'm beginning to think this problem could be related to the battery. Is this a possibility? If yes, is the 3in1 battery rechargeable?

pamaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've read about battery replacement, but seems like I'd need to do some soldering and that isn't among my skills.

One note that I forgot to add: this is a new 3in1, just got it today.
frown.gif

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The EZ-Flash Client is EVIL. Only use where necessary. That is, 1Mb Flash save games. I pulled out quite a bit of hair trying to figure out why I was losing saves constantly.

That being said, initially, the save will not exist. So that message is probably okay. Find out after you get in-game, save, then reboot and load the same game. If you're still losing saves, something's up.

Try the ROM with your attempt #1 again. I'm pretty sure that message is okay the first time, if it's repetitive, then something's wrong.

pamaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's repetitive, unfortunately.
frown.gif

The saves are created, I can see them in the mem card... I just can't load'em afterwards. Wonder if the SRAM bit where saves are stored is damaged. :S

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like a bad battery. Here's a test to see if the SRAM/battery is not working:
I made an SRAM.BIN file that just has a repeating test pattern in it. Download it here: http://www.4shared.com/file/19372833/2a42f...st_pattern.html

Place that file in the "\GBA\Save" folder on your microSD card.

Start the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool and write that file to the SRAM by pressing Y in PSRAM mode. Do not start a game.

Turn the DS off, and delete SRAM.BIN from the microSD card.

After several minutes, turn the DS back on, start the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool, and back up the contents of the SRAM to a new SRAM.BIN file by pressing X.

Post the SRAM.BIN file here so I can see if it still has the test pattern in it. If you need a file host, http://zshare.net/ is a good one.

This should tell us for sure if the problem is with the SRAM/battery, or something else.
If you have a hex editor you can compare the files yourself (they should be the same except for an 8KB chunk near the middle), otherwise just post your SRAM.BIN and I'll look at it.

Those save files on the memory card are created when you load a game onto the 3-in-1. They don't have any data in them at first; the actual save isn't written to the file until you load a different game or back the save up manually.

scoozer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,

I have a general question:

Ive patched Zelda Minish Cap with GBATA ("SRAM Patcher") and now I can start it from Rudolphs 3in1 ExpPack 1.9 when I select the PSRAM. No error fine, I can start a new Game and can save the Game.

After that I close my DS and start it up. I have a R4 and when I select the 2ND Slot Bootload the game starts correctly but says that my Saves are corrupted. Ok, I restart my DS and start Rudolphs Tools again and when I select PSRAM again it works fine, my save is ok.

So my question is why does it say I have a corrupted save file when I start GBA Mode from the R4 Menu?

My second question is, Im only playing Minish Cap now, but what happens to my save etc. when I copy a new GBA Game to my card and select PSRAM etc from Rudolphs Tool. Could it be that my Saves from Zelda will deleted?

Thank you

JacobReaper

I Love You....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I have a general question:

Ive patched Zelda Minish Cap with GBATA ("SRAM Patcher") and now I can start it from Rudolphs 3in1 ExpPack 1.9 when I select the PSRAM. No error fine, I can start a new Game and can save the Game.

After that I close my DS and start it up. I have a R4 and when I select the 2ND Slot Bootload the game starts correctly but says that my Saves are corrupted. Ok, I restart my DS and start Rudolphs Tools again and when I select PSRAM again it works fine, my save is ok.

So my question is why does it say I have a corrupted save file when I start GBA Mode from the R4 Menu?

My second question is, Im only playing Minish Cap now, but what happens to my save etc. when I copy a new GBA Game to my card and select PSRAM etc from Rudolphs Tool. Could it be that my Saves from Zelda will deleted?

Thank you

just use NDStaion, its much easier, heres a vid

Click

scoozer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok it seems nice to have a .nds File and you are able to start it like a NintendoDS Game.
Ive tried it now with Minish Cap. The .nds File of the game has 16,2MB. Ive put it in my Games directory where NDS are also.
But when I start it the Errors comes again... "Savefile corrupted..." blah
Then made another .nds File but now with deselected PSRAM Option in NDStation1.1 ... but same Errormessage.

Any solution why this happpens?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc