Hacking R4 Ultra / Acekard Clones

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
There are 2 firmware updates for the R4i Ultra, just like there is with the Acekard. If you use the other one, it should be almost risk free. Good luck finding it though...

What's the 2nd update for? I'm only aware of the one that makes the cart functional on the DSi v1.4...

QUOTESeeing that the Acekard firmware update is able to determine if it is indeed an Acekard, it's more than likely there is a very minor hardware difference between them like there is between the R4DS and M3 Simply.

That's why I want to edit it. So the update just assumes it's being put on an AK not anything else. It needs looking into but I think it's possible...

EDIT: As I have an AK2 and an R4ultra that are in use, (AK for ROMs, R4 for homebrew) I'm not prepared to actually test my modified flash files when they're done as it's highly likely the file will break my R4 beyond repair if it fails. I ordered a DSTWO recently which I'm waiting to be delivered, so when it arrives, I can test files.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What you are trying to do still won't work, as I said i expect there is a very tiny hardware difference on the PCB. Either that, or the update doesn't contain 100% of the Flashcart's firmware, they could be holding a small amount back to prevent cloning.

There are two types of R4 ultra's just like with the Acekard 2i, HW44 and HW81. I believe you can actually run the Acekard update on HWID 44 R4i Ultra's, doesn't turn it into an Acekard.

I can run the R4i update on my Acekard, and it's still an Acekard after.

There are two updates, just like there is on the Acekard. One with 'DSL' in the filename, and one with 'DSi' in the filename. The DSL file can be used to unbrick. Both were in one archive r4ifw_update_14_2939_20090817', the DSi file you see on sites is from that archive.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
What you are trying to do still won't work, as I said i expect there is a very tiny hardware difference on the PCB. Either that, or the update doesn't contain 100% of the Flashcart's firmware, they could be holding a small amount back to prevent cloning.

There are two types of R4 ultra's just like with the Acekard 2i, HW44 and HW81. I believe you can actually run the Acekard update on HWID 44 R4i Ultra's, doesn't turn it into an Acekard.

I can run the R4i update on my Acekard, and it's still an Acekard after.

There are two updates, just like there is on the Acekard. One with 'DSL' in the filename, and one with 'DSi' in the filename. The DSL file can be used to unbrick. Both were in one archive r4ifw_update_14_2939_20090817', the DSi file you see on sites is from that archive.

I'm not trying to magically turn the R4 into an Acekard, I know enough to know that isn't possible. I just want to tell the R4 that it's more Acekard than R4 and that it's ok to load alternative kernels but I'm trying to simplify it when it isn't simple at all. It's been a while since I reverse engineered anything so it will be a challenge for sure.

I'm going looking for this 'r4ifw_update_14_2939_20090817' archive to see what goodies that contains! Thanks for that info.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
kiafazool said:
so how is it going sixty

No progress really. And even when I'm in a position to test a firmware file, I have to wait. I will post results, if any but this isn't a process that will be done quickly. It requires work beyond my skills so I need to do a bit more research too. At the very least, this will be educational..

EDIT: I've sent an email to the R4 Ultra/R4i team. Has anyone ever had any dealings with these people? Or at least had any replies form them? I want to get hold of these people so bad!

kiafazool

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
looks like ur really into it
any help needed post on this thread
i will try my best to help you

sixty
will the new akaio run on the ultra
maybe normatt took that acekard only thing off???

EDIT: whoops posted instead of editing

EDIT2: Guess what its not a akloader.nds
it has __aio and akmenu4.nds
i will try to run it later on because i have to go to school today (MAYBE I HAVE TO GO because my school flooded

kiafazool

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
trolley but it doesn't have akloader.nds anymore
its straight on akmenu4.nds
and im going to stop this conversation right now because i dont want him to change it

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kiafazool said:
trolley but it doesn't have akloader.nds anymore
its straight on akmenu4.nds
and im going to stop this conversation right now because i dont want him to change it

yes it does, it's in a subfolder of __aio

kiafazool

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
ill try and post my result

edit : lol guess what
i got it to work
i cant really post it up here because normatt might fix it
so i will only give it to the people who i can trust
like sixty, trolley, tk, elixir, and others who i can trust
if u guys want to know how i got it to work just ask and ill pm it to u

and i know it worked because on the top screen it says akaio release 1.7

so now i have a working acekard W0000t

Edit 2: ok never mind what i said
it only shows the firmware running but nothing else works
i am going to compare the 1.7 to 1.5.1 and try to do something privately

sixty how are you editing the acekard 1.4 dsi update to the r4 update???
if i can compare the 1.5.1 to 1.7 i might be able to get it to work

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
kiafazool said:
ill try and post my result

edit : lol guess what
i got it to work
i cant really post it up here because normatt might fix it
so i will only give it to the people who i can trust
like sixty, trolley, tk, elixir, and others who i can trust
if u guys want to know how i got it to work just ask and ill pm it to u

and i know it worked because on the top screen it says akaio release 1.7

so now i have a working acekard W0000t

Edit 2: ok never mind what i said
it only shows the firmware running but nothing else works
i am going to compare the 1.7 to 1.5.1 and try to do something privately

sixty how are you editing the acekard 1.4 dsi update to the r4 update???
if i can compare the 1.5.1 to 1.7 i might be able to get it to work

I'm not sure Noramntt will like the fact you got AKAIO 1.7 working... I think it's pretty funny
laugh.gif

As for updating the R4i Ultra, I believe I may have sorted something, it's a bit hard for me to word here but I should have my DSTWO by monday and I can test then when my R4 becomes surplus to requirements...

EDIT: D'oh, didn't read the whole post correctly... It's the loaders that won't work so try running a ROM or two first and you wont make me make stupid mistakes
laugh.gif

EDIT 2: I appear to have made some sort of breakthrough! Usually, when trying to load a new menu binary, the R4i Ultra gets stuck at the 'Loading' screen.... NOT ANY MORE!!!! I've been playing with HBMenu source most of today and so far, I can get it to boot into a red screen as soon as I turn my DS on, I'll upload a video to show you what I mean! This is a major breakthrough as I can now go ahead and play with Wood RPG source so that'll load as soon as I boot my DS...

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm kinda smart today despite being sleep-deprived. I've got the R4i Ultra to boot straight into HBMenu!! I know HBMenu isn't what we had in mind when starting this project, but it's most certainly a giant leap forward! No flashing is involved at all so there's no danger of killing your cards...

So... What now? Well I am going to look at other DS binaries to see if I can get those to work, then I'm going to get the AKAIO files to boot directly just to p*ss the AKAIO team off! I have no intention of making those files public though, they're just for me! I may then start work on a completely new custom firmware for the R4i Ultra! That will take time so do not hassle me about it as my skills are limited! For now, you can enjoy a piracy-free kernel on your R4i Ultra!!!!!

You can download the files here if you wish!...

EDIT: I'm sick of it already! The secret is, this is just a BootStrap for the R4i Ultra. It enables you to load any DS binary you like as long as you rename it '_BOOT_DS.NDS' and place it on the root of your flashcart along with my '_DS_MENU.DAT' file! I'm currently using AKAIO 1.5.1 as my default kernel and will upload a video in a moment as proof. Well, I say 'a moment'... I'm having dinner now so I'll edit this post again with a vid when I'm done....

I hope you all like what I did!!!!!!

Vid of my R4i Ultra loading AKAIO as default menu. I loaded GTA: Chinatown Wars as proof it boots ROMs...

EDIT: New topic created for this as it's now nearly done.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kiafazool said:
sixty try to find out how to edit the akloaders (akloader.nds, ak2loader.nds)
kiafazool,
telling him what to do won't change his priorities; he is approaching the solution from his own direction, and he has expressed that he's not actually an expert, so it'll be a process you should be patient with.

he does want to solve the problem of supporting newer games for this clone, but he still has a lot of research to do.
SixtySixHundred In time, I will use this bootstrap to load a firmware all of my own so users of the R4i Ultra can enjoy decent compatibility again...

just because you created this thread and "wanted to make your own firmware" does not make you his boss nor a contributor to his research and progress
QUOTE(kiafazool @ Jun 4 2010, 03:12 PM) yes i helped u get inspired and get the idea from my thread

It's just annoying
glare.gif
that you really don't understand how flash carts work, and haven't done independent research.
So then you asked for help step by step, and want to be credited for his inspiration and the idea?
The BootStrap solution he created was not even discussed/suggested in this thread at all until he announced his progress because he was researching similar work and actually working on the solution..

eggsample

punahussy
Trophies
Website
eggsample.pl
XP
Country
Poland
My R4i Ultra works with cracked AKAIO (dunno which akaio files are used in this firmware mix)
and some roms works and the other don't.
Works: GTA, Fifa 11, Ivy the kiwi
Just use super useful tool called (its top secret) Google.
Seek for r4uys.rar and U'll found some on the web or torrent.
Still nothig?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=r4uys.rar

Seek, Download, unrar, upload to SD.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Weirdly enough, I have been working on this. I'm not going to be editing AKAIO loaders. If anything, I will be building my own loaders using Wood R.P.G. Source as a starting point. Ideally, I would like a Wood-esque kernel for all AceKard clones.

I was looking at that horrible 'Galaxy Eagle' (http://ge.ndsi.in/index.html) which is an AK2i clone but has a heavily modified version of AKAIO 1.6 in it. I've looked at the files and they do load on my R4i Ultra, except the AKAIO 1.6 loaders included have been (re)encrypted so they don't load any games on 'clones of this clone of a clone'. (Well, Sonic Classics Collection (E) didn't boot).

The 'Galaxy Eagle' has pissed me off in a way I can't put into words and as a result, I have got more respect for the AKAIO team's work, (well, that and YWG's Wood, that guy rules) so the only way to do this is to do the right thing and start my own.

I still have my Bootstrap project on the go, as that was fun working out how flashcarts boot. If anyone wants it, I'm sure I can find it. I'm hoping someone with more coding skills than me will get involved with the loaders as I'm not great.

You've also got to understand that I've now got an AK2i, R4 (with wood) and an SCDSTwo as well as the R4i (not working very well), so my attention is elsewhere... (OT: NGPC Emulator and DSTwo plugins and skins).

ceteksretek said:
My R4i Ultra works with cracked AKAIO (dunno which akaio files are used in this firmware mix)
and some roms works and the other don't.
Works: GTA, Fifa 11, Ivy the kiwi
Just use super useful tool called (its top secret) Google.
Seek for r4uys.rar and U'll found some on the web or torrent.
Still nothig?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=r4uys.rar

Seek, Download, unrar, upload to SD.

All that fond was the R4i Ultra kernel. Nobody wants that! There's more interesting things to do with the R4i Ultra!

Sorry for the wall of text...

EDIT: Thank you exangel. I wanted to say something similar but whenever I try, it comes out all sweary and angry.
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.