HHNNNNNNGGGG
OP
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
I've had this R4 for a few months now; not more than 3. It was working perfectly when, while playing FF3, it crashed. when I reboot it now, it either says Loading... forever, or says CANNOT FIND DS_MENU.DAT

Has anyone else heard of this problem or know a solution?

K

kaoken

No, but maybe your card is fragmented. Go and reformat the card. If that doesn't work buy a new MicroSD and see if it is really the r4.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
No, but maybe your card is fragmented. Go and reformat the card. If that doesn't work buy a new MicroSD and see if it is really the r4.
you don't need to buy a new memory card, checking it via the pc will tell you if it is broken because the pc can't read it.
if the memory card gets really hot it is broken, if it has a fine link along it it's possibly broken. there are other signs but the first one will tell you.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
OP
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
its not a microSD problem, computer reads it fine, and it runs through HDtach fine (even though that doesnt really diagnose any problems). but it works on the other R4, so its got to be my R4....I'm wondering if the pins inside came loose?

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
open it up and check?! mine acts up every so often but i just put the card in and out a few times then slot it in and out of ds. Mabey urs is a similar lack of good contact

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yep, if you're so certain that the R4 is stuffed, open it up and search for any problems (you have your siblings R4 to compare with). If there are no problems - then I guess it's time to buy a new one.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It’s a seeding problem, there were some people complaining about it
with the first batch. But the fix used to be if your using the dark
cover switch to the white one. But now that the R4 only comes with
one card cover you can open it up to make sure it’s seeded correctly.
Or just swap R4’s with your Bro.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
OP
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the replies, ill search for a small screwdriver around the house and open it up.

@CatScam

How exactly did switching cases help the R4?
wtf.gif

Evilkoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would assume the case switching would have to do with a heat problem?
Also will the site/store you bought it from exchange it for a new/refurbed one?
and if so what site/store did you purchase it from?

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dirty contacts (I had a hair cause such problems before in a microSD to SD adapter, though it interruped a line which effectively disabled writes instead of power/card detect type lines) in the microSD slot, or other problems with those little pins that connect to the microSD could easily be the cause. A good bright light and a bit of magnification to look into the TF slot to see that they are all still level might tell you for sure if it is mechanical.

Of course, I used my iron and had my R4's microSD slot entirely apart to take out the spring loading mechanism and glue in the part that prevents the card from over-inserting, so I couldn't possibly have had similar problems while doing it
laugh.gif

BTW: to alleviate more of the same "it's the SD card" - does your brother's SD work in your R4 or is it more of the same?

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
OP
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
Dirty contacts (I had a hair cause such problems before in a microSD to SD adapter, though it interruped a line which effectively disabled writes instead of power/card detect type lines) in the microSD slot, or other problems with those little pins that connect to the microSD could easily be the cause. A good bright light and a bit of magnification to look into the TF slot to see that they are all still level might tell you for sure if it is mechanical.

Of course, I used my iron and had my R4's microSD slot entirely apart to take out the spring loading mechanism and glue in the part that prevents the card from over-inserting, so I couldn't possibly have had similar problems while doing itÂ
laugh.gif

BTW: to alleviate more of the same "it's the SD card" - does your brother's SD work in your R4 or is it more of the same?

His SD doesnt work on my R4 either =[

Man, I can't seem to find small enough screwdrivers
mad.gif

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
I too have noticed the same thing with a few friends R4. All of a sudden it gets stuck on the loading screen. Most have just bought replacements but im gonna try to take it apart and reseat it. Ill post my results if i can get any of them fixed. 4 total i think. All are the more recent batches.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man, I can't seem to find small enough screwdriversÂ
mad.gif
Then I'd say it's definitely the contacts. Either they are dirty or have crud on them (I have to clean my microSD's contacts wrather often), one may be bent out of whack, or something is funky with your spring causing over-insertion. If the "could not find SD" stuff is coming up ok, that tells me the R4 itself is at least functioning, it is just having problems dealing with the microSD.

retiredjerk: when that happens to me (happens a lot less since I did away with the spring mechanism and glued the stopper in place) I take out the SD, clean the contacts (shirt works) and stick it back in... problem is generally gone. I have to say though, they did not use very sturdy parts to construct these devices - the PCB itself is very thin and if any warping or flexing occurred to the R4 it could easily have damaged one of the contacts under the epoxy on the newer ones. For the price, and the fact I converted this one from chinese to english I'm certainly not going to complain.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
OP
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
i opened it up and i see nothing strange...the pins are all straight and seem to be straight. I tried cleaning it a bit (couldnt do much though), and it didnt change anything. i'll try to get pictures later today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up