Hacking R4 SDHC error 81 & 83 - can brick?

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.RobotsAndComputers.com
XP
Country
United States
I just got an R4 SDHC have copied the latest menus system files to a formatted SD card (formatted a dozen times with the SD Formatter tool as directed as well as through the OS) as well as a few ROM files. The ROMs play fine, but when I enable RTS, the system will lock up on Creating Save File and I to exit back to the 3DS system to regain control. If I press Start on a game, it give me the error codes 81 and 83 telling me to format the card. I have done that too many times to count.I tried copying one only ROM with a short filename and got the same results. Can you please tell me what is wrong?

Also... is it possible for an R4 card to brick a 3DS? I've seen where the Gateway cards are known to, but I haven't seen any reports of this one doing so... Thanks.

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You did something wrong, try reformatting the card and see how it works.
An R4 card cannot brick your system, so you should be okay there.
(The only way i can think of is somehow if the MSET DS Profile Exploit installation went wonky, even then just relaunch the card and it gets rid of the exploit, so really it would save you there...)

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
After formatting, with nothing on the card except the menu system and on ROM file, I still get the fragment errors and then RTS freezing if I turn that on.

Glad to know the r4 is safe, though :)

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
OK... I have tried to reformat several times and I even tried a different 16gb SDHC microSD card and I still get the same errors. Like I said, I can still play games with it, but it bothers me that it is giving me the error codes and refuses to use RTS...

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did, yes.. I tried both versions 3 and 4... still get the same results. I have tried formatting with that, as well as the windows GUI formatter and the linux mkdosfs. Nothing makes a difference.
can you post pics of the front and back of the r4?

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
can you post pics of the front and back of the r4?

I checked the r4isdhc site before posting here... unless I am seeing this wrong, it looks like a real r4... It may be hard to see in the photos, but the card is white with a silver label. The text on the PCB reads www.R4iSDHC.COM

Attachments

• DSCF1313.JPG
    DSCF1313.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCF1312.JPG
    DSCF1312.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 605

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I checked the r4isdhc site before posting here... unless I am seeing this wrong, it looks like a real r4... It may be hard to see in the photos, but the card is white with a silver label. The text on the PCB reads www.R4iSDHC.COM
i don't see your card on thier site, and since they almost always use a red based card inside and yours is green... i have my doubts about the card being authentic. they alsy use an genuine sticker for double check i don't see so i'm not so sure as you are...

*edit* i did check some better, the print color could be genuine, but i really don't see your card in thier prodicts listed *edit*

Last edited by JaapDaniels, , Reason: taking back a part of my critics

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't see your card on thier site, and since they almost always use a red based card inside and yours is green... i have my doubts about the card being authentic. they alsy use an genuine sticker for double check i don't see so i'm not so sure as you are...
The 2014 and 2015 models use red based cards, 2016 model uses a different color. The card seems to look legit. Have you tried using a different SD card? What brand of memory card are you using?

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The 2014 and 2015 models use red based cards, 2016 model uses a different color. The card seems to look legit. Have you tried using a different SD card? What brand of memory card are you using?
look at http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-product/ and tell me which of these cards he uses? cause i don't see his card there, and i know this site since mine is thiers also... seems they changed the board color but the sticker is rare the dual core they have on thier site says r4i not r4, and is on silver printed (somtimes white)... they always come withe a sticker on thier back wich glitches when you move it under a lamp... i don't see it, and it should have a serial number printed somewhere...

*edit* see the new cards are no more R4i but R4 *edit*

Last edited by JaapDaniels, , Reason: rectivy

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
look at http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-product/ and tell me which of these cards he uses? cause i don't see his card there, and i know this site since mine is thiers also... seems they changed the board color but the sticker is rare the dual core they have on thier site says r4i not r4, and is on silver printed (somtimes white)... they always come withe a sticker on thier back wich glitches when you move it under a lamp... i don't see it, and it should have a serial number printed somewhere...

*edit* see the new cards are no more R4i but R4 *edit*
"It may be hard to see in the photos, but the card is white with a silver label. The text on the PCB reads www.R4iSDHC.COM" rebeltaz card is the dual core 2016 version. its on the second half of the product page. the problem is that the miscro sd card op is using is most likely a fake or corrupt beyond repair. @rebeltaz, try using a different brand SD card. Is yours the kingston that all companies ship with flash cards? If so, that memory card is a fake and garbage.

Last edited by nero99,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
"It may be hard to see in the photos, but the card is white with a silver label. The text on the PCB reads www.R4iSDHC.COM" rebeltaz card is the dual core 2016 version. its on the second half of the product page. the problem is that the miscro sd card op is using is most likely a fake or corrupt beyond repair. @rebeltaz, try using a different brand SD card. Is yours the kingston that all companies ship with flash cards? If so, that memory card is a fake and garbage.
it looks like its written on wood style background but hey just trying to double check, since he used a second micro sd it seems like there's something else wrong.. could it be he formatted it NTFS or something? formatting it fat(16) or fat32 could just be what's wrond, and ehm i hope he didn't try starting 3ds roms renamed to nds roms since that would make it fail for sure.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it looks like its written on wood style background but hey just trying to double check, since he used a second micro sd it seems like there's something else wrong.. could it be he formatted it NTFS or something? formatting it fat(16) or fat32 could just be what's wrond, and ehm i hope he didn't try starting 3ds roms renamed to nds roms since that would make it fail for sure.
There may be a chip missing on the inside that was supposed to be soldered in. I have saw that happen to a users dstwo+ on here not too long ago.

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
This is the card (from their site) that I have:
http://www.r4isdhc.com/wp-content/themes/nds9/images/w/31.jpg
http://www.r4isdhc.com/wp-content/themes/nds9/images/w/41.jpg

They are the same as mine, no?

No... I didn't format NTFS or ext4. I was sure to format FAT and/or FAT32.

lol... no, I didn't try to run 3ds roms. That thought never even occurred to me.

The first card I tried to use was a Sandisk 2gb MicroSD card. The second card I tried was a Sandisk 16gb MicroSDHC card.

@nero99 said something about "the problem is that the miscro sd card op is using is most likely a fake or corrupt beyond repair" ... micro sd card op?

I am trying to get an answer from the company from whom I purchased this - r43ds.org (very unresponsive) - so I don't want to open the card just yet to look for missing chips...

Last edited by rebeltaz,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the card (from their site) that I have:
http://www.r4isdhc.com/wp-content/themes/nds9/images/w/31.jpg
http://www.r4isdhc.com/wp-content/themes/nds9/images/w/41.jpg

They are the same as mine, no?

No... I didn't format NTFS or ext4. I was sure to format FAT and/or FAT32.

lol... no, I didn't try to run 3ds roms. That thought never even occurred to me.

The first card I tried to use was a Sandisk 2gb MicroSD card. The second card I tried was a Sandisk 16gb MicroSDHC card.

@nero99 said something about "the problem is that the miscro sd card op is using is most likely a fake or corrupt beyond repair" ... micro sd card op?

I am trying to get an answer from the company from whom I purchased this - r4ds.org (very unresponsive) - so I don't want to open the card just yet to look for missing chips...
OP stands for "original poster", which is you. If the company doesn't respond to you with in a week, have your bank do a charge back since they sold you a faulty card. I see they offer paypal payments on the website. That's a huge sign at them being a fake since payapl has blocked every known flash cart seller from using paypal. You my friend have been scammed.

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
OP stands for "original poster", which is you. If the company doesn't respond to you with in a week, have your bank do a charge back since they sold you a faulty card. I see they offer paypal payments on the website. That's a huge sign at them being a fake since payapl has blocked every known flash cart seller from using paypal. You my friend have been scammed.

:( Well that's no good. Yeah... after I ordered this, I did see reports online about this company. meh... live and learn.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:( Well that's no good. Yeah... after I ordered this, I did see reports online about this company. meh... live and learn.
How much did you have to pay for your card? May I suggest using r4depot.com or dsflashcard.com next time? they are the ones I always use since I had a horrible experience with modchipcenteral :/

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
How much did you have to pay for your card? May I suggest using r4depot.com or dsflashcard.com next time? they are the ones I always use since I had a horrible experience with modchipcenteral :/

It was only $24 and they sent two cards, so it's not that big a loss... It's more the principle of the matter, you know.

And. the card does work to play games... it just doesn't work fully.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was only $24 and they sent two cards, so it's not that big a loss... It's more the principle of the matter, you know.

And. the card does work to play games... it just doesn't work fully.
$24? I bought the same card for $16..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [louder cricket sounds]