Hacking R4 flash card running on 2ds xl.

mats07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi guys,

I ordered new 2ds xl, because of huge library of games. I'm not really into piracy and I want to buy all my 3ds games but there is so many DS and GBA games which I want to play too, but DS games I'm interested in are overpriced in my opinion, and used copies costs almost the same like some used copies of 3ds games in my country, buying it from amazon or ebay is totally unprofitable cuz shipping costs... (I don't want to hack console for better GBA emulator cuz warranty, later I will probably do this, so please don't write this solution. I don't care about glitchy music or some graphic glitches on r4 GBA emulator, I know that hacking console is best solution but not at this moment for me). I've read a lot of threads and articles about using r4 on 3ds and getting brick/ban/updating and disabling updates... I'm totally confused now because of inconsistance of informations.. so that's why I'm writing this post to point all my questions and dilemmas. I hopy that you will help me guys :).

1) I know that r4 doesn't change anything in 2ds firmware so possibility of brick is nearly 0%. But still I'd like to get clear information about it - is it possible to damage console by using r4? If it is, what could cause this (beside trying to hack console)?

2) What about ban? I want to use online features on my 3ds games (which will be all oryginal copies). I won't use online features playing DS games or emulating GBA, but I read something about logs stored in 3ds which are accesable for nintendo what kind of cards I used etc. I don't want to disable updates but as I read, going online after playing on r4 could give me ban for all online features with new update. Is there really log which stores this kind of info, does r4 cheat on this log in any way and does it work with emulators? ( I mean, running DS games could be showed as real copy of this game but what about DS homebrew GBA emulator launched from r4?)

To be honest, I mostly care about GBA emulator on r4, I have also DS lite with acekard so I can also play DS games on DSlite (I'd like to run it on 2ds only for comfort of having it all in one and it would be nice to have this feature but not as much necessary as GBA).

Thanks in advance.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
an r4 card does not play 3ds games

online services for DS games had been shutted down, you won't be able to play ds games online unless you use the custom servers.

3ds online is not affected by ds, ds and 3ds mode are 2 separate things basically

mats07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't even want to use online for DS so it doesn't matter for me, I just wonder if I can get ban on 3ds online features for running GBA emulator on r4 or other DS roms, and if r4 can brick my console by itself (not messing with cfw). I read about logs which store information about what cardridges I use on 3ds and I'm curious if nintendo can see that I launched GBA emulator on r4 (which is DS homebrew, not 3DS homebrew and doesn't require cfw). R4 doesn't make any changes in 3ds firmware but i don't know what info are shared with nintendo servers when I connect to wifi on my console. I just saw a lot of inconsistent informations about getting ban on 3ds online and eshop, other was about not getting ban but only blocking compability with flashcard and other was about bricking console by update after nintendo see that I was using r4, so I'm really really confused and don't know what is true or just rumors.

It's clear for me that it's possible to get ban on hacked console with cfw and playing online, but I don't know it about r4.

(By the way, nice avatar :D)

mats07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So it means that I can play DS roms, emulators on r4 and still have official firmware updates for my 2ds without any risk of "punishment" for using flashcard?

Last edited by mats07,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
So it means that I can play DS roms, emulators on r4 and still have official firmware updates for my 2ds without any risk of "punishment" for using flashcard?
like i said, they are 2 different things.
using a ds flashcart, the console will launch the card in ds mode. this will have no impact and has nothing to do with the 3ds part.
the only effect is in your play log it will show you played a specific DS game, depending in your cart, for example for a dstwo cart it will show up as alex stormrider game
but that has no impact in anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny