Hacking Questions and concerns with GateWay 3DS

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah I see. But it's much easier through system settings in emunand, no? Don't have to mess with title IDs? Or does BBM actually display game names now?

No it doesn't display game names (yet?) but in my opinion the games names are very easy to find online anyways via the title IDs.

I've just realised that I haven't exactly shown him how to unlink sysnand and emunand, just getting it installed correctly.
As such, they're not completely unlinked and he should avoid going into Data Management for now.

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No it doesn't display game names (yet?) but in my opinion the games names are very easy to find online anyways via the title IDs.

I've just realised that I haven't exactly shown him how to unlink sysnand and emunand, just getting it installed correctly.
As such, they're not completely unlinked and he should avoid going into Data Management for now.

How does one unlink them, then?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does one unlink them, then?
iViperz advise is sound and you seem to like his replies better so if he has a different plan follow that.

To unlink and keep your eshop titles on emunand. Remove the SD card from the 3DS and go into settings on sysnand. Format system and then run through the setup (date, time, Internet etc). Insert SD reboot and off you go.

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
iViperz advise is sound and you seem to like his replies better so if he has a different plan follow that.

To unlink and keep your eshop titles on emunand. Remove the SD card from the 3DS and go into settings on sysnand. Format system and then run through the setup (date, time, Internet etc). Insert SD reboot and off you go.

And I don't have to worry about losing my saves, NNID, games, etc?

Also, while I'm in the new emuNAND, if I just log into eShop, I can buy/download stuff like normal, including title updates for the retail games? (I know Smash and Pokemon AS are gonna be getting updates at some point in the near future)

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country

Also, while I'm in the new emuNAND, if I just log into eShop, I can buy/download stuff like normal, including title updates for the retail games? (I know Smash and Pokemon AS are gonna be getting updates at some point in the near future)

What thorasgar said is right, and this will work. Your saves, NNID, games, etc will "kind of" be deleted.
You'll no longer see them on sysnand but they'll remain on emunand as you removed you SD card BEFORE formatting.

While you're in emunand, you can buy, download all games and updates as normal yes.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have backuped up both your sysnand and your emunand you should be fine. The only thing I seem to have lost is a few Miis in Mii Maker. Still can't figure out where they went.

After format sysnand will not have your NNID. You can renter it if you wish, I have not done so as the need for it in sysnad has not arisen.

I cannot stress enough to make backuos of everything before you make any changes.

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, from what it sounds like, my sysNAND will more or less be useless or not necessary anymore because of emuNAND more or less "taking over". :3

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, from what it sounds like, my sysNAND will more or less be useless or not necessary anymore because of emuNAND more or less "taking over". :3

That is correct.

While I did say you'll be able to play eShop games WITHOUT having to do anything, after unlinking your sysnand and emunand, you'll need to run the exploit everytime if you want to play eShop games. I avoided this step intentionally while you were getting started but it should be fairly straightforward from here on

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. This is crucial :)

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That is correct.

While I did say you'll be able to play eShop games WITHOUT having to do anything, after unlinking your sysnand and emunand, you'll need to run the exploit everytime if you want to play eShop games. I avoided this step intentionally while you were getting started but it should be fairly straightforward from here on

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. This is crucial :)

As long as they keep all my saves and all that stuff, then I have no problem with going into Gateway Mode or Classic mode everytime to run the stuff on emuNAND. My 3DS has my iPhone's Personal Hotspot as a saved access point, so even when I'm outside of home, I can always just turn on the hotspot and do the exploit there. The only times I'll have to be worried is if I'm overseas, to which, then I guess its just leaving it on Sleep Mode eternally and making sure it's charged when needed. XD

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
As long as they keep all my saves and all that stuff, then I have no problem with going into Gateway Mode or Classic mode everytime to run the stuff on emuNAND. My 3DS has my iPhone's Personal Hotspot as a saved access point, so even when I'm outside of home, I can always just turn on the hotspot and do the exploit there. The only times I'll have to be worried is if I'm overseas, to which, then I guess its just leaving it on Sleep Mode eternally and making sure it's charged when needed. XD

Yeah, in this case, everything mentioned above should cause you no problems at all!

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you format sysnand to unlink make sure everything is working properly in emunand. (Saves, etc). There really is no rush do do it. Just make sure you do not enter data management on sysnand before the unlinking or it will mess up your emunand.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There's a way to use an android phone without actually needing a working internet connection, but I don't know if there's one for iPhone..

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a way to use an android phone without actually needing a working internet connection, but I don't know if there's one for iPhone..

At this moment, not there isn't. I've got both an android and an iPhone and would love to have a way to use the exploit offline on my iPhone too

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a step-by-step process on how to do this, to allow me to use my actual carts and downloaded stuff, as well as what Gateway/CIAs let me do? (And written in laymen's terms...)

Okay just to be clear,

You just want to copy stuff from one SD to a bigger SD, with usage on the same 3DS right?

1. backup the files on the smaller SD card onto your computer.
2. backup emunand partition from smaller SD card onto your computer. (it's the emunand tool 1.0.1 I think) (A)
3. use Gateway to create backup nand, then create emunand partition on the bigger SD sd. (B)
4. Use emnuand tool to place the (A) emunand into (B)
5. now places all the files you backed up onto your bigger SD card.

by doing this, your eshop saves should still be there.

As for cartridge saves, it shouldn't be gone by a simply shifting operation?

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill man. Yes this can all be very daunting at first, but the operation you want to perform is very simple and Queno138 gave you exactly what you need here. Best thing to do is jump in feet first and start doing things. You won't brick your DS, just make sure you have all of your backups and you're golden. The only scary moment in all of this is if you want to unlink your sys and emuNAND's which I would recommend. Once you go down the CIA path the giftbox bug can be very annoying.

I'd also recommend reading up on how to handle CIA's in releation to the SD card you have in your system. I'd link the site with guides to how to handle them but Google will show you the way, and linking is not allowed here. I'd recommend two different SD cards - one for eShop only stuff and one for your installed CIA's.

Reactions: Queno138

SaitoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, I got my Gateway finally and more or less set up everything except unlinking sysNAND from emuNAND.

I even updated emuNAND to 9.4.

I noticed that I could play my eShop stuff while in Gateway Mode, with saves and all. But not retail carts. Is this normal?

And also, my final question:

When Nintendo eventually makes 9.5, do I just update on emuNAND like normal without a care? Or do I gotta wait for stuff?

And when I have imported a CIA, I can delete it off the SD? Or how does this work?

Thank you so much, to everyone who helped.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I got my Gateway finally and more or less set up everything except unlinking sysNAND from emuNAND.

I noticed that I could play my eShop stuff while in Gateway Mode, with saves and all. But not retail carts. Is this normal?

When Nintendo eventually makes 9.5, do I just update on emuNAND like normal without a care? Or do I gotta wait for stuff?

And when I have imported a CIA, I can delete it off the SD? Or how does this work?

You need to go read the newbie thread. It will save you and everyone else time.

I'll just give you some hints in order of your questions, but this will probably generate more that you can answer on your own by reading the newbie thread:
Gateway Classic Mode
Wait unless you want to lose your emuNAND
CIA can be deleted

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah go read all 6000 replies in the noob thread. Lol.

Retail carts must be played in classic mode.

Do not update emunand until gateway releases a update,miso eshop access can be lost for a short period of time but you can still play online.

Make sure you keep backuos of your nand and emumand. Use emunand tool (there is a support thread). And not just the files on the SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BETA215 @ BETA215: Fighting downhill is proper of traitors, sometimes you do what you have to do...