Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
OK so I've finally stumbled upon a Dreamcast and for a very, very reasonable price of 20.00. It includes a few games, a couple of controllers, and blah blah blah...but what I was wondering is how easy is this thing to mod?

Now, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't even have to mod the Dreamcast but having no experience with the console, who knows? Here are my questions...or inquiries...

1. Am I looking for a particualar type of Dreamcast to be able to play back-ups on?
2. How are the back-ups created...just find the ISO burn to a CD or DVD and away we go?
3. Why doesn't it hurt when I pinch the flappy skin part on the bottom of my elbow? Am I some sort of freak? WHAT AM I?

Anyway, thanks in advance as always.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Am I looking for a particualar type of Dreamcast to be able to play back-ups on?

I'm not totally sure, but you just need a regular ol' DC. My cousin was part of the "DC Scene", and he used a Boot Disc.. Im not sure if you need a modded DC, he never told me.

2. How are the back-ups created...just find the ISO burn to a CD or DVD and away we go?

You burn a Boot Disc.iso or something like that to a CD, then you burn a game onto another CD, now put the Boot Disc in and it'll ask you to put another game in.. Do Street Fighter 3! Then it'll boot up.

3. Why doesn't it hurt when I pinch the flappy skin part on the bottom of my elbow? Am I some sort of freak? WHAT AM I?

Weeenus.

~Nero

JKR Firefox

Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the information.

I'm still looking into this ATM but any info is appreciated
smile.gif

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Mine didn't even need a boot disc for a single game. Nothing to mod, you just download the game, burn onto a CD-R, and it worked. Simple as that.
During the later parts of the DC scene, self-booting images (thus not needing boot discs) became the norm.
Earlier images required boot discs.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dreamscasts were so cool. i liked the games because they felt like arcade games instead of home console games. like Power Stone and Marvel V. Capcom 2.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
also the dreamcast cd laser can be very fussy on what media type you use, you just have to experiment, there is also a program out there called "bin 2 CDI" that converts .bin type images into .cdi you just drag and drop, very handy indeed.

oh and always burn at the lowest speed possible, no more than 8x at least.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
All Dreamcasts can run backups.

Really? I know the security was defeated because of a simple flaw - DreamCasts were able to run audioCDs with extra interactive content on them. This allowed people to make a CD which pretended to be an interactive audioCD wotsit and then execute code from burned CDs to get games up and running. I thought they removed multimedia CD compatibility from the last few DreamCast models to prevent backups running, although I guess someone could have worked out another way to make them boot on these models.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Just wanted to remind you that chankast works really well, if you can't find a Dc, or if your just died.
Plus, you get to play at higher resolutions, and you don't need a warmonster-PC.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you get this sorted out I'd like to recommend Bangai-O & Cannon Spike as games to get, not many people mention those games but they are awesome shooters.

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
1. Am I looking for a particualar type of Dreamcast to be able to play back-ups on?
There are some dreamcast that can play every region games. look for those { I think some EU and US models where region coded)
3. Why doesn't it hurt when I pinch the flappy skin part on the bottom of my elbow? Am I some sort of freak? WHAT AM I?
Its some sort of sewer's finger effect , some people has it (Sewer's finger effect is that the body grows a thick 'alligator skin' in an area to prevent damage to it after it repeatable being hurt thus somewhat limiting the feeling in that area )

JKR Firefox

Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1.  Am I looking for a particualar type of Dreamcast to be able to play back-ups on?
There are some dreamcast that can play every region games. look for those { I think some EU and US models where region coded)
3.  Why doesn't it hurt when I pinch the flappy skin part on the bottom of my elbow?  Am I some sort of freak?  WHAT AM I?
Its some sort of sewer's finger effect , some people has it (Sewer's finger effect is that the body grows a thick 'alligator skin' in an area to prevent damage to it after it repeatable being hurt thus somewhat limiting the feeling in that area )

OMG thank you...the more you know
tongue.gif

LOL anyway got it working fine. Burn and play! Thanks for all of the help and suggestions people!

@Hadrian: Playing Bangai-O as we speak...thanks for the heads-up
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr