Hacking Questions about BIOS hotswap...

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Which exactly is the BIOS chip??? I was looking for pics on SCDev I consistently found that the removable piece into which the black(wireless) wire is the BIOS. Is this really true?

dslite4bg.gif

Is THAT the Nintendo DS BIOS? I have a flashed DS I don't care about and want to sell and a non-flashed one that I want to keep but... don't really feel like installing FlashMe. Would opening up the DS and swapping the BIOS modules be a safer alternative to flashing? Also, will that reset my NDS ID for WiFi?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A minor distinction but:
The BIOS is a read only section containing various functions used by the DS.
The firmware is a writeable section distinct from the BIOS acting almost like a tiny flash cart storing programs (download play and pictochat) and operating system storage.

As it stands I can not recall any motherboard layout guides (I vaguely recall some from when the DS was first released (way prior to darkfader getting homebrew running) but as that is a lite....).

The way I see it is that if you are planning to swap chips you are going to have to pull the case apart, if you are doing that why not bridge the section properly (conductive pen or something) and have no problems with bridging the wrong section (the minor danger present if you do not follow the instructions when flashing your DS).

lurbi

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Searinox said:
I have a flashed DS I don't care about and want to sell and a non-flashed one that I want to keep but... don't really feel like installing FlashMe. Would opening up the DS and swapping the BIOS modules be a safer alternative to flashing? Also, will that reset my NDS ID for WiFi?

Are you asking that for real??? or is this some kind of bad joke.

You say that you want to open the case, desolder the wires, exchange the flashchip, solder, put everything back together instead of using flashme??

And BTW you only really need flashme if you want to use ancient slot2 cards.

a really, really strange post
smile.gif

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lurbi said:
Searinox said:
I have a flashed DS I don't care about and want to sell and a non-flashed one that I want to keep but... don't really feel like installing FlashMe. Would opening up the DS and swapping the BIOS modules be a safer alternative to flashing? Also, will that reset my NDS ID for WiFi?

Are you asking that for real??? or is this some kind of bad joke.

REMOVED by playallday

And BTW you only really need flashme if you want to use ancient slot2 cards.

a really, really strange post
smile.gif
You don't need to desolder you n00b! I bet you've haven't opened a DS Lite in your life! I have done this with 3 DS Lite's and all work.

P.S. I do want you to try flashing it, brick it then let me fix it
smile.gif
. lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 14d team? So 14 guys?