Questions about 2DS/3DS and DS roms on a card

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by WiiCube_2013, Oct 17, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    1) Do they use the entire screen (possible to stretch it?) of the 2DS/3DS or do they still have those black borders still?

2) Being that the 2DS uses one screen only it is touchscreen, so if the plastic was removed from the top screen would it be possible to use it as a touchscreen too?

2. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    1) on my 3DS XL it stretches DS roms to the size of the lower screen, leaving black borders on the bigger upper screen
    2) in theory yes, practically, probably not. no games or homebrew would support it, homebrew maybe with alot of work of someone skilled, I doubt we will see anything like that o.o

3. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    DS flashcarts operate within the TWL_FIRM mode of the 3DS and i beleive the areas outside of the NDS native resolution are not usable while operating in this mode.

And no, the top screen can not accept user input as this functionality requires special hardware in conjunction with the display to make what we know as a touchscreen.

4. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    the upper screen of the 2DS IS a touchscreen, because both 2DS screens are actually just 1 big screen, covered by the plastic cover to make it look like 2, so theoretically, removing the plastic layer on top of the upper screen results in having another touch screen, but like I said, someone would have to actually make this thing work with homebrew, as the 2DS system without modifications wouldn't even expect to get any kind of input from the upper screen

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Huntereb likes this.
  6. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    ah good to know, an old news release on some sites once mentioned, the whole thing would be a touch screen, guess that info was wrong then :-)

edit: here, a german site, very old news report about the 2ds stating, it would be 1 big touchscreen with the upper side just covered by a plastic layer preventing the touch screen from working as a touch screen lol
    http://www.areagames.de/games/news/nintendo-2ds-bildschirme-touchscreen-126364/
    just google translate it, if you really want to read it, but as it turns out to be wrong anyways, why bother ;P

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah tbh i think most people just think its the screen that makes it touchscreen, so then assume that if its 1 big screen the whole screen would be touch screen :D

WiiCube_2013 likes this.