[Question] Want update a9lh to Sd-less boot, which version of Sa9lhInstaller

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by nedron92, Oct 8, 2016.

1. nedron92
    OP

nedron92 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2016
    Germany
    Like the title says,
    I want update a other a9lh-3DS (my brothers one) to the sdless boot a9lh.
    But which version of Safea9lhInstaller should I use?
    The old 2.0.3 Version or 2.5.1?

I'm a bit in fear of the new version cause of the bricks during the otpless install.
    Or are both versions okay, if you only want to update a9lh itself?

2. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Beware, SDless A9LH build is still in experiment state.
    If you're booting the 3DS wihout SD or arm9loaderhax.bin file on the root of your SD, you will have problem with NDS games.

Now, for your question. Is your brothers 3DS:
    - O3DS? if yes, you have to use 2.0.3
    - N3DS? Then, next Question, Did his 3DS installed A9LH with OTP (downgrade to FW 2.1) Or OTPless (without downgrade to FW 2.1)
    - If OTP, you have to use 2.0.3
    - If OTPless, you have to use 2.5.1.
    Edit: Now 2.5.1 can check for SD problem before installing OTPless A9LH. You're now safe for using OTPless method.

Last edited by nechigawara, Oct 8, 2016
  3. nedron92
    OP

nedron92 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2016
    Germany
    We know that, but were both also developers ^^.
    We only want to have this feature (and maybe some experiment with it)
    I have it installed now with 2.0.3 (O3DS)

But why can't we use the newest version with an O3DS now?

4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I recommend ShadowNAND, which is installed with ShadowNAND_Installer. It's actually safer than Safe A9LH Installer since you can recover from a corrupt stage 2.

5. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    The o3ds doesn't have a method of using the otp-less method.
    shadownand is buggy as fuck. Luma3ds has sd-less boot now technically (although you should not use it without a hardmod)...

Quantumcat likes this.
  6. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    I'm not aware of ShadowNAND being any more or less buggy than AW's a9lh. And like UniqueGeek mentioned, the altstage2 functionality makes it a lot safer to experiment with on a console without a NAND mod.

7. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    Been using sn since it came out, no problems here. Have also installed sn to more than three dozen 3dses, no violent reports whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

8. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    It's the same code, and has he same issues... The AW fork is at least updated, maintained, and not a c/p of other code. if you want to continue using outdated code, go ahead. I don't get the appeal in using something that has one use (and is buggy and isn't even maintained) vs several uses (that is slightly less buggy, gets support from the dev, and has luma built in), but do whatever you want to your console.
    Have you actually used shadownand though? Or just had it around with it running luma.

Quantumcat likes this.
  9. Hyoretsu

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    So there's a sd-less a9lh? I was thinking to install ShadowNAND instead because I thought that it was sorta superior to a9lh, but after reading this thread, I don't know which one I'll use anymore.

10. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    LOL, please don't use shadownand. A9lh v3 is sdless, however it does not work unless you use a nightly build of luma (for now, that will change in the next stable luma build most likely). I suggest that you hold off on sdless (and shadownand) since it is basically pointless rn, and nightlies should not be used without knowing what you are doing and other precautions. Shadownand itself is kinda a bad option as well...

Psi-hate and Hyoretsu like this.
  11. GreaterDog

GreaterDog A True Warrior, A Warning 9 Warrior

Banned
    Nov 12, 2015
    Trying To Hide From Raulpica's Bans
    i got shadownand and like i experienced it the idea of a sdless a9lh is wack. its like ''yay i got a shadownand'' . nothing happen after that you can only boot your 3ds with no SD, but it can also help if you lost your sd card idk .

12. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Yeah... then you forget to put your sd card back in and you have to wait for it to fully boot up before you can do anything.

13. Hyoretsu

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    Back to my future-proof N3DS plan state before I knew about ShadowNAND or sd-less a9lh.

Are both a9lh installations (otp and otp-less) safe? I read somewhere (http://gbatemp.net/threads/otpless-a9lh-brick-strikes-again.446179/) about bricks when using otp-less method. Or even if both of them are safe I'm still recommended to go through the otp method because I'll have the chance to get my otp.bin, which sometimes will prove useful?

14. GreaterDog

Banned
    Nov 12, 2015
    by that quote i can confirmed you never used a sdless nand
    if im right ?
    (lmao and that problem never happen to me)

Last edited by GreaterDog, Oct 27, 2016
  15. ArmoredGuns1

ArmoredGuns1 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Why do you not recommend ShadowNAND?

16. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    I used one of the unstable builds from like june/july for screeninit+noscreeninit and a side effect of me being lazy was sdless booting :(

They are safe enough. The bricks almost always come from a user error, or something like a really bad sd card (if you buy from first party, then you should be safe. I think some later builds of arm9loaderhax check for anything that could pose a threat though).

Official code vs copy/pasted code from a very unstable point in time. It is pretty obvious which one was intelligently thought out. There were reasons for why sdless a9lh was never released until very recently. Why would you support someone who c/ps unsafe code, compiles it, then slaps a name and a "credit goes to..." sticker on it? Sure they copied more code over recently, but it isn't a great thing to be recommending to people.

17. GreaterDog

Banned
    Nov 12, 2015
    the thing is why will you keep on updating your sdless nand ? its useless . if it works , keep it at its state . it doesn't matter if one is on maintenance 24/7 and one isn't . if it works that's all it counts .
    and like you said , you used a early version of the shadownand of course it will have issues in plenty of areas.

18. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Keeping it at it's current state is a very bad idea. sdless requires you to put a luma payload in your ctrnand partition in order to work, leaving that untouched may lead to complications later down the road. Shadownand itself does work, yeah, but once again, you are not going to get every single logical update. I do not have shadownand installed, I have an "official" a9lh build which was made shortly after sdless and deemed "safe" enough for regular use.

19. GreaterDog

Banned
    Nov 12, 2015
    ok i agree with you for now. so where to get the ''better'' version of shadownand . do you got a link ?

ih8ih8sn0w likes this.
  20. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell