Question on Games

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well yes, but actually no.

If there are only a few bits you need translated, you can take a picture on a phone and get Google or DeepL to translate it - the app on my phone can translate input from the camera in real time. But this would get tedious if you wanted to do this for the whole game.
It's possible to machine-translate games where you have the script extracted. Extracting the script is moderately difficult - you need to be able to get individual files out of the game ROM. But re-injecting the translation is often going to be harder, as English and other alphabetic languages often take up more lines than the Japanese took using kanji where the symbols are whole words, and some text is likely to be in pictures as well.
I originally played EX Troopers with my phone in front of my 3DS, switched to RD2k3's machine-translation (for which they needed to work out how to edit the 3D videos as text was part of the image e.g. comic-book speech bubbles) when it was released, and most recently to Fan Translators International's human-translated one (which built on RD2k3's technical research about putting the text into the videos).

Reactions: binkinator

AliceWalsh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
View attachment 355031
If there are only a few bits you need translated, you can take a picture on a phone and get Google or DeepL to translate it - the app on my phone can translate input from the camera in real time. But this would get tedious if you wanted to do this for the whole game.
It's possible to machine-translate games where you have the script extracted. Extracting the script is moderately difficult - you need to be able to get individual files out of the game ROM. But re-injecting the translation is often going to be harder, as English and other alphabetic languages often take up more lines than the Japanese took using kanji where the symbols are whole words, and some text is likely to be in pictures as well.
I originally played EX Troopers with my phone in front of my 3DS, switched to RD2k3's machine-translation (for which they needed to work out how to edit the 3D videos as text was part of the image e.g. comic-book speech bubbles) when it was released, and most recently to Fan Translators International's human-translated one (which built on RD2k3's technical research about putting the text into the videos).
sounds horrible. Thank you of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDJhdhkd0w0