[QUESTION] Is it possible for us to unlock the 3DS' "OS" core?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by flatasszone, Sep 11, 2016.

1. flatasszone
    OP

flatasszone Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    Angola
    Hi GBATemp, while this may be a stupid question, I couldn't find the answer, so I asked here.

Does anyone know if it would be possible for us to unlock the 3DS' core that is preserved for the OS? On the O3DS, there are 2 cores both clocked at 286 mhz, however, only one is usable for games and homebrew etc. Would it be possible to use them both? Or at least partially use that last core?

If we could then we may see some improvements in FPS for emulation and games, on both the O3DS and the N3DS. Maybe some more full speed PSX games on N3DS? And some playable games on O3DS? :)

With all these new tools coming out that give us so much more access on our 3DS' like A9LH and decrypt9 I thought this may be possible too.

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    It's only possible on an N3DS. You can do this with Luma.

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    for emulators, and homebrew maybe...
    for 3ds offical games no.

4. flatasszone
    OP

flatasszone Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    Angola
    Doesn't that only give access to 3 cores and not 4? There is still one core left for the OS, right? I was talking about that one, and if we could use it.

Well maybe, but it could still be useful for Retroarch PSX core for example.

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    It works for games that don't have locked frame rates and whatnot. The Pokemon games are a good example.

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    it depends if either games are designed to work with a single core or both cores...
    at least on pc, you can't force a program to run with several cores if it was made to use just one...

~Poke~ likes this.
  7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Yes, like I said said, it only works for games that don't have locked specs.

8. catlover007

catlover007 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    it is already possible to create a single thread on the syscore(but it may only run with limited speed)