Question In Regards To Mario Maker

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by VeXX12, Mar 26, 2017.

1. VeXX12
    OP

VeXX12 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2010
    United States
    I'm not sure if I can post this here (can't really get any help anywhere else), but a few members in the community have been scratching their heads over how to do "wall jumps" in Mario Maker consistently. I overheard a conversation that in the original Super Mario World it required x position, sub pixel position and velocity to perform. (I am not a game dev which is why I am asking for help) Thanks!

Last edited by VeXX12, Mar 26, 2017
  2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Can't say much on how faithful the Mario Maker engine is to the original games, but basically:

Each level is made of 16x16 blocks (look at the gray stones or at the munchers)

Now look at the stones: their top left corner is missing, suggesting that you could wedge your feet in there (in reality the whole 16x16 block is equally solid; but it makes for a great visual explaination)

If you were to stand normally on a block, you would obviously be touching the row of pixels that make up the top of the block, right?

Due to how speed works in the game, if you jump toward a solid structure, you actually go one pixel inside the object before you stop moving horizontally - then the engine pushes you out; if you were at the correct height too (multiple of 16 = top of a block), for that instant as far as the game knows you're standing, with that single pixel, on a solid floor; and you bet Mario should be able to jump while standing on a floor! :)