Hacking Question for devs

Which way should I use to load Custom IOS modules and plugins?

• Load them automatically when cIOS is loaded (built-in)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Load them from the application (not built-in)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

waninkoko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As you already know, Custom IOSX rev18 developing is currently in progress. Lots of changes have been done and lots of them are going to be done in these days, and I need to know the opinion of the developers about something (and why not the users).

So guys, please, vote
wink.gif

About the external modules option...

Advantages:

- No need to update cIOS everytime there's an update.
- Possibility of using different IOS versions as base.
- Devs can create and load their own modules without creating another Custom IOS.
- Devs can modify current custom modules and use them in their apps.

Disadvantages:

- Every application needs to include the custom modules it needs and load them (load code is too simple anyway).
- Old applications that use custom modules won't work.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i vote for the application to load the modules and not the IOS. it hurts compatibility but it gives people the chance to load their own modules and not wait for a new IOS release to add features that can be changed by just putting a different module in the program.

also as in hermes' IOS, people with a broken USB port can just load a different module which uses the other port and all is well.

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
i vote for the application to load the modules and not the IOS. it hurts compatibility but it gives people the chance to load their own modules and not wait for a new IOS release to add features that can be changed by just putting a different module in the program.

also as in hermes' IOS, people with a broken USB port can just load a different module which uses the other port and all is well.
I agree with this, it just makes sense. Might prove to have more hardware compatibility in the future.

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
giantpune said:

also, the average kiddy doesn't even know the differences of both methods. So making things for devs easier would be a good point.

Pakatus

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiShizzza said:
giantpune said:

also, the average kiddy doesn't even know the differences of both methods. So making things for devs easier would be a good point.

My toughts exactly.
I agree that this is mainly a question for Dev's.

kaligula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
over 700 people follow his contribution.

not even a handful of users taking the opportunity seriously.

Waninkoko just do your thing, eh afterward will scream no matter what you do.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know all the pros and cons but from what I think I voted the app to load the modules.

Maybe this will lead to a bit more diversity of ideas in the future.

Great stuff wanin
biggrin.gif

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
what about trial a release of both you could have a version where the ios handels the modules and plugins and a version that makes the loaders do the job or loading the modules and plugins

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
what about trial a release of both you could have a version where the ios handels the modules and plugins and a version that makes the loaders do the job or loading the modules and plugins
Can't agree more on this. If he wants only one release...maybe let user select the loading behavior of choice in the installer?

waninkoko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
techboy said:
QUOTE said:
Can't agree more on this. If he wants only one release...maybe let user select the loading behavior of choice in the installer?

Not an option. Making that is just wasting time I can use for more interesting stuff.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the modules were integrated, it would be important with what settings they are initiated on IOS Reload. An advantage of integrated modules could be keeping the nand emu enabled on IOS Reloading games from disc.

External modules allow easier development for yourself and others like oggzee is demonstrating with FAT and NTFS support on Hermes' cIOS.

And superior would be to have working modules already integrated with the possibilty to replace them on runtime, but it wouldn't be of too much use. I could construct something where it would be of advantage, but it would be constructed. I would prefer if you use your time for something else than this.

I vote for external modules.

Did you get my PM on irc, about bending everything the IOS launches on the ppc to a certain title on nand to fix IOS Reloading games?

waninkoko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
If the modules were integrated, it would be important with what settings they are initiated on IOS Reload. An advantage of integrated modules could be keeping the nand emu enabled on IOS Reloading games from disc.

External modules allow easier development for yourself and others like oggzee is demonstrating with FAT and NTFS support on Hermes' cIOS.

And superior would be to have working modules already integrated with the possibilty to replace them on runtime, but it wouldn't be of too much use. I could construct something where it would be of advantage, but it would be constructed. I would prefer if you use your time for something else than this.

I vote for external modules.

Did you get my PM on irc, about bending everything the IOS launches on the ppc to a certain title on nand to fix IOS Reloading games?

That advantage is not really an advantage as an IOS reloading 'resets' all the modules so the nand emulator gets disabled (and don't think in any way to 'fix' that).

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That was just an example, i don't really care about the nand emu. I care more about the IOS Reloading games, as that's the biggest group of games not working or not working properly from usb right now.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
waninkoko said:
Only proper way to fix that is blocking IOS reloading completely, and that "can" be done using both ways (builtin or no builtin modules).

To me it would also be proper to bend all IOS Reload calls to the cIOS. With saving the state(usb, game, nand emu...) before the IOS Reload and a reinit of everything afterwards.

Anyways, i think these 2 ways are complicated to write while my latest suggestion should be easier to write. And IF it would work, it would return the advantage of being able to patch the 2nd .dol in any way you want. You could do that from the cIOS too, but it would be complicated too.

I'm not demanding anything, i'm just telling you what i think.

waninkoko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's not something too easy to do, nor "proper". This is something to be analyzed very very carefully, cause it's hard to do and delicated.

Btw, right now I see the external modules option is winning but I don't know if it will achieve enough votes against the built-in modules options to consider its implementation in rev18.

I'm going to bed now so I'll check the poll tomorrow morning.

sk0ld

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vote for the application loading modules if even just for the fact it'd be less work for the end user, but am almost indifferent.
So, whichever way makes it easier to work with SNEEK. =)

Intranet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I voted for application loading because of what happened with the error 002 fix. When it was built-in (cIOS rev13) it was slow to load games & slightly broken so NeoGamma, et al. had to create an anti 002 option. But when the 002 fix was removed from cIOS (cIOS rev14), game loading with application 002 fix was a lot faster & always works (for me it has anyway). Also not all games require IOS reloading, the same as not all games require 002 fix - hence the application should do these things with the user choosing these options on a per game basis. But this type of thinking can't be the same for all features & some may perhaps have to be built in but I don't know any. As for cMIOS, I would vote for features built-in to MIOS as GC backup loader apps don't get regular updates like Wii backup loaders do.

Thanks Waninkoko for cIOS38 rev17, it saves me from switching inbetween cIOSrev13 (when I want to load DVD+DLs) & cIOSrev14 (for no 002 fix & hence faster loading games). Hehe, I noticed how you said cIOSX rev18, I wonder which IOS version you'll use for rev18.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ