Homebrew [Question] Cracking the BOOTROM?

survive9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is already theoretically possible, it would require someone to actually build it out though, which isn't trivial. Nintendo's built in OS isn't THAT bad, is it?
No I actually like it, but I also like something fresh.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A bootROM vulnerability exploitable by the end-user would be both a full system-control exploit and an entrypoint, hardcoded in hardware.
If such a flaw exists, it would literally kill the 3DS's security, in fact the 3DS as a whole.

What about Linux?
I have a 2ds so I don't think it would run that well

Last edited by survive9,

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually i think that a VERY limited linux version would run pretty well.

The point is why should i run a so limited linux version?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually i think that a VERY limited linux version would run pretty well.

The point is why should i run a so limited linux version?
I agree. Something like Tiny Core Linux or TTYLinux (distributions roughly around 6 - 11 mb in size) would be optimal for the 3DS, but why even bother? There'd have to be a way to use the 3DS's peripherals, and even if that were developed, I still don't understand why anyone would want it other than just to say they have it.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someday Citra will be able to play encrypted ROMs.. Just look at previous no$gba that decrypted NDS games only. Now the encrypted NDS ROMs are playable with No$GBA.

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you do know that the signing keys are no where on the 3ds, right ? the keys available are only for decryption, all signature would be invalid without the private signing keys in some nintendo bunker

If we can get control early enough it won't matter.
Think of signatures as a key to the lock of Nintendo's sign checks.

If we get control early enough we can just take off the whole door.

Reactions: FenrirWolf

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I agree. Something like Tiny Core Linux or TTYLinux (distributions roughly around 6 - 11 mb in size) would be optimal for the 3DS, but why even bother? There'd have to be a way to use the 3DS's peripherals, and even if that were developed, I still don't understand why anyone would want it other than just to say they have it.
The PS2 can run Debian 5.0 + X.Org perfectly and it only had 32MB of RAM, and a slower (IMO) CPU. A properly optimized distro with a hardware accelerated TinyX + FLTK + lightweight tools would be quite speedy. Not to mention it's a portable ofc, with WiFi and all that fancy stuff that the PS2 didn't have.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The PS2 can run Debian 5.0 + X.Org perfectly and it only had 32MB of RAM, and a slower (IMO) CPU. A properly optimized distro with a hardware accelerated TinyX + FLTK + lightweight tools would be quite speedy. Not to mention it's a portable ofc, with WiFi and all that fancy stuff that the PS2 didn't have.
The reason I mentioned those distributions is because I don't particularly see Debian fitting on the 3DS NAND.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Just throwing this out there for fun: isn't a9lh a bootROM exploit itself?

I mean, the bootROM code is responsible for the FIRMX verification. a9lh exploits a flaw in this verification and tricks the bootROM into jumping to the attacker's unsigned code.

Not all bootROM exploits need to be code-takeover within the bootROM code itself, right?
(I know I'm probably mistaken somewhere. Probably the flaw is in a9loader and it jumps to the code)

Last edited by zoogie,

Bkool999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Disregard this, someone already asked that question...... Whoops...

Wouldn't we be able to theoretically boot up something like linux on 3ds without the system running in the background, allowing us to have more memory to work with? (And of course, I imagine that homebrew would need to be made specifically for this type of environment)

Last edited by Bkool999,

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just throwing this out there for fun: isn't a9lh a bootROM exploit itself?

I mean, the bootROM code is responsible for the FIRMX verification. a9lh exploits a flaw in this verification and tricks the bootROM into jumping to the attacker's unsigned code.

Not all bootROM exploits need to be code-takeover within the bootROM code itself, right?
(I know I'm probably mistaken somewhere. Probably the flaw is in a9loader and it jumps to the code)
Loading code out to RAM at boot is a bootrom flaw, not a bootrom exploit though.

Also I just feel like clarifying some things, all bootrom would give is:
  • Most if not all encryption keys, meaning the ability to encrypt/decrypt on PC. Also would mean being able to possibly decrypt/encrypt NAND partitions without xorpads, among other console-specific stuff.
  • No signing keys, you can't sign stuff even given bootrom.
  • More answers about console init and where things come from, ie what makes a console specific to itself and what ties it to it's NAND
  • Possible bootrom-level exploits, which could make getting OTP easier, but no guarantees.
For the end user, it's not all that interesting, might make things a bit more painless but it mostly benefits emulation users and developers. A bootrom exploit vs k9lhax probably wouldn't be all that noticable in terms of speed.

Reactions: klear and zoogie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: y