lum

Hunter lvl
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey, haven't been in the hacking scene for nearly half a year (as i didn't even have a wii until now) so i'm REALLY behind. I looked at all the treads in the first 10 pages and didn't find anything useful to answer my questions, so if anyone can point me towards a good twilight hack faq or Wads faq and what the homebrew scene is like right now, it'd be really helpful (sorta surprised nothing of the sort is stickied yet!)
if not, here are some of the questions I'm wondering about.

Will the hombrew or twilight hack potentially ban me from wifi?
Will the hack potentially brick my wii?
Would updating my wii to the latest firmware limit my ability to do these soft mods?
After the first time installing the homebrew channel, from then on, all additional hacks are installed through that hence the zelda is no longer needed? (comfirming)
Does one DLC game require one channel? or is it more similar to a DS flash card where the channel allows you access multiple games?
I know there's a SNES emulator out, is it a simple drag and drop then select game to play from the snes emu channel?
Can Pal consoles run games from other regions (DLC, wiiware, snes/n64 roms?)
N64 emulator?
Do games have to be transferred into the wii or do they run straight from sd cards?
Again, do any of these applications potentially brick the wii or ban me from wifi?

thankyou, again, any faqs (i even googled 5 pages) would be useful too!

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha, I guess you missed the stickies. You'll find a comprehensive Twilight Hack FAQ in the stickies, and a couple of other useful bits of info.

- The hack will most likely not cause a Wi-Fi ban or bricking in the future (DEFINITELY not at the moment).
- The newest firmware is actually needed to play a lot of WiiWare titles, and won't limit anything at all.
- Yeah, once you've installed the homebrew launcher channel through a bootable WAD installer (.elf file) you won't need to use TP again unless you uninstall it.
- WiiWare titles need seperate channels, and so do legitimate VC downloads, but if you use emulators and ROMs (you'll have to look into them), you won't need seperate channels.
- PAL consoles can play other regions games (with a few exceptions), but you need to patch them with freethwads.exe (you'll find a guide in the forum's dead pages somewhere).
- N64 emulator doesn't work properly at the mo', and won't be for a while, so I'd just stick with VC downloads.
- VC games run on the Wii, not sure about emulators and ROMs.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lum said:
Will the hombrew or twilight hack potentially ban me from wifi? No, not yet
Will the hack potentially brick my wii? No.
Would updating my wii to the latest firmware limit my ability to do these soft mods? No.
After the first time installing the homebrew channel, from then on, all additional hacks are installed through that hence the zelda is no longer needed? (comfirming) yes
Again, do any of these applications potentially brick the wii or ban me from wifi? No

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heeeey, I already answered those.
tongue.gif

lum

Hunter lvl
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks guys, also looked up some youtube vids, seems like the snes emulator's really good? i'm guessing compatibility around 100% with earthbound, rockman and super mario rpg working. Also saw SMS and a few other emus working so that should be good. I'm sure it'd be easy to find those wads that install the Virtual console games, so that should be no prob.

lum

Hunter lvl
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
-x1_0_nt- said:
Already been posted

jalaneme said:
how does it work exactly? and i will wait for more people to test it, this also means we don't need twilight princess in the Wii anymore? and we don't need the elf files on the SD card anymore?

edit: can you use this channel to uninstall wads too? (i guess not according to the readme)

This is a channel with a banner that lets you install wads that are on your sd card, you still need twilight princess (unless your using a loader channel), no you need the wad on your sd card for it to get installed.

you can not use this channel to uninstall wads because this is a wad INSTALLER. Clue is in the name ;)

ok, so you have the wad installer which installs wads, and you have the homebrew channel that you installed with twilighlight hack, I'm guessing all applications are installed by wads? So why would you still need the twilight hack if it's on it already? i'm confused
frown.gif

basically i wanna know difference between the twilight hack installation and the wad installer
or maybe a better question would be, what exactly are wads (i know you use it to install vc games and additional channels?)

if i was to do the hack, would this order make sense?
Do the twilight hack to install homebrew channel (twilight no longer needed)
using homebrew channel to install wad installer and other apps
wad installer to install VC and wiiware games(homebrew channel still needed?)

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lum said:
-x1_0_nt- said:
Already been posted

jalaneme said:
how does it work exactly? and i will wait for more people to test it, this also means we don't need twilight princess in the Wii anymore? and we don't need the elf files on the SD card anymore?

edit: can you use this channel to uninstall wads too? (i guess not according to the readme)

This is a channel with a banner that lets you install wads that are on your sd card, you still need twilight princess (unless your using a loader channel), no you need the wad on your sd card for it to get installed.

you can not use this channel to uninstall wads because this is a wad INSTALLER. Clue is in the name ;)

ok, so you have the wad installer which installs wads, and you have the homebrew channel that you installed with twilighlight hack, I'm guessing all applications are installed by wads? So why would you still need the twilight hack if it's on it already? i'm confused
frown.gif

basically i wanna know difference between the twilight hack installation and the wad installer
or maybe a better question would be, what exactly are wads (i know you use it to install vc games and additional channels?)

you have posted this is the wrong topic.

All apps which are in .wad install via the wad installer.

The wad installer installs .wad from the sd card as a channel in the main menu of the wii, the twilight hack boots "boot.elf" from the sd card.

lum

Hunter lvl
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ooh i sorta get it now, so basically everything is installed by the wad installer (whether it's on sd card or on channel), but to activate the wad installer it requires the twilight hack (which the wad installer channel uses from the homebrew channel?)
i THink i've got it..

edit: and with IOS37, i'm guessing right now this is not a problem with the latest update with mario kart as it hasn't been activated yet?

edit2: and also, with the new emulator channels coming out, is there a point of having a homebrew channel when you've already got the wad installer and wad uninstaller channels?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things