Question about Gamecube moddingI have an old GC lying around a

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by tech3475, Jun 1, 2010.

1. tech3475
    OP

Member tech3475 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have an old GC lying around at my grandparents doing nothing so I am thinking about modifying it to run backups of my games.

Now, I know it's possible to run GCOS using AR and files installed onto an official 59 but I need some help here:

1. Can I install these files using my hacked/chipped Wii and where can I download these files because all the links are dead?
    2. What are good discs to use? Can I use RWs or get a cheap case mod for standard DVDs?
    3. What is a good up to date guide on this?
    4. Or am I better just getting a modchip? In which what is a good UK supplier?
    5. What other good mods are there?

I am sorry about some of these questions, but I only just heard about these mods since I started getting into hacking (by which point I was into the Wii,PS2, Xbox, etc.).

Thank you.

2. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    1. You can't install them using a hacked Wii, no. Here's a guide on how to get\use SDLoad (and here's SDLoad), which you will need to run GC .dol files. You can use an AR with an SD Gecko or you can buy Datel's SD Launcher.
    2. There are certain mini DVDs that work very well (can't remember them right now). There used to be places (divineo I think was one of them) where you could get cases that could support full-sized discs. Either way you may still have to adjust your GCs laser with a potentiometer to be able to read the discs without any Disc Read Errors.
    3. Apart from the one I listed above I can't seem to find any. This doesn't mean there aren't any out there though...
    4. Modchips are easier (once their installed) mostly because you don't have to go through any kind of humdrum to get things working.
    5. Just modships and 'softmods'.

3. tech3475
    OP

United Kingdom
  4. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    Ritek 1.3gb discs worked almost perfectly for me in the GCN, every other brand was hit & miss and prone to DREs.

No idea about using anything but a chip, didn't it have very low support/compatibility with games?

5. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Yes. Those are the ones I couldn't remember.

6. tech3475
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thank you again. The reason why I thought the Wii was suitable was because I thought MIOS was near perfect recreation of the GC minus the obvious expansion ports.

I thought that if I found a single execution Dol which copies itself to memory or a works on the Wii would work. Ok thank you.

Also, I don't know so much about compatibility, I use GCOS on my Wii and it works fine with the latest version for most games. But then I still have a chip.

I would get a chip if it wasn't for my lack of skill and the fact that I can't purchase a chip locally.

Like I said, I am not as experienced with GC softmodding and I was just seeing if it was possible to do this on the cheap/easiest way possible.

7. George Dawes

Trinidad and Tobago
    Even with a chip for your GCN, unless you can find Ritek G04 1.3gb 8cm discs I wouldn't bother.

The GCN was a bastard for DREs

8. lukands

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    Would Ritek 1.46gb work I can`t find no 1.3gb discs

9. tech3475
    OP

United Kingdom
    Are you sure Riteks are the only ones? Would something like this work:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TDK-DVD-R-1-4GB-ca...3075&sr=8-1

I ask because on the 360, they always use to say "use Verbatim" but having switched to another cheaper brand there is virtually no difference other than the lack of a spindle.

10. George Dawes

Trinidad and Tobago
    Try it. You may have a better drive than 98% of other GCN owners.

Ritek G04 were the only discs that worked reliably. TDK used to use the Ritek G04 dye, dunno if they still do (doubtful, it hasn't been produced for a good few years).

Also there is a massive difference between made in Singapore verbs and pretty much any other MID. Quality scan those discs, check out the difference for yourself. And if you have a samsung drive in your 360, don't figure on the drive lasting that long using cheap DL discs.

Yeah sorry the discs are 1.46gb, GCN isos were 1.35gb.

11. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I had bought a Xeno 2.0 modchip for my GameCube along with some what I thought were G04 Riteks from meritline. Once my discs arrived I found they were G05, not one of them work for crap. I can use my full disc DVD's just fine but don't like having the case off my cube [​IMG]

This was using a 16x Sony burner (really a LG drive). I now also have a 18x Samsung burner but haven't tried with that one on the G05 discs.

Anyone know where you can pickup some real G04's anymore?

12. lukands

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    Looking for Ritek discs, but the ads I see don`t say anything about them being G04 or G05, whats that? How do you tell them apart.

EDIT....is Ritek and Ridata the same?

13. tech3475
    OP

United Kingdom
    How good are regular dvds on GCs compared to mini dvds?

14. sanoblue

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    LIES!!! i modded my gamecube using my wii

check my profile.

was a pain but once i got it going was easy

15. tech3475
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for the guide, however, can you please link me to the files because the host is gone.

edit:

Nevermind I found them.

I managed to get the mod working (kind of, see below), however, I couldnt use the method mentioned in the guide because the apps either wouldn't load or froze. Instead I did this:
    1. I used GCbootGUI to turn the dols into seperate, bootable, isos.
    2. I use the multi-game utility to allow me to turn the four seperate dols into a single iso
    3. I booted the game and selected the app from GCOS which ran flawlessly only needing to reboot when I wanted to switch apps.

Now the only issue is that I need to try to tweak the lens to get the game I am testing (TOS, which was a pain even with a wiikey) to work properly.

Can anyone recommend a good guide?

edit 2:

Just tried LOZ:wind waker and so far it seems to work.