GCN Question about Gamecube moddingI have an old GC lying around a

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an old GC lying around at my grandparents doing nothing so I am thinking about modifying it to run backups of my games.

Now, I know it's possible to run GCOS using AR and files installed onto an official 59 but I need some help here:

1. Can I install these files using my hacked/chipped Wii and where can I download these files because all the links are dead?
2. What are good discs to use? Can I use RWs or get a cheap case mod for standard DVDs?
3. What is a good up to date guide on this?
4. Or am I better just getting a modchip? In which what is a good UK supplier?
5. What other good mods are there?

I am sorry about some of these questions, but I only just heard about these mods since I started getting into hacking (by which point I was into the Wii,PS2, Xbox, etc.).

Thank you.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1. You can't install them using a hacked Wii, no. Here's a guide on how to get\use SDLoad (and here's SDLoad), which you will need to run GC .dol files. You can use an AR with an SD Gecko or you can buy Datel's SD Launcher.
2. There are certain mini DVDs that work very well (can't remember them right now). There used to be places (divineo I think was one of them) where you could get cases that could support full-sized discs. Either way you may still have to adjust your GCs laser with a potentiometer to be able to read the discs without any Disc Read Errors.
3. Apart from the one I listed above I can't seem to find any. This doesn't mean there aren't any out there though...
4. Modchips are easier (once their installed) mostly because you don't have to go through any kind of humdrum to get things working.
5. Just modships and 'softmods'.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tech3475 said:
Out of interest, does anyone know why I can't install the files using the Wii? I understand the basics of the Wii e.g. MIOS, etc.
I'm now realizing that I don't think I'm clear on what you mean. Wiis can run Gamecube homebrew (aka .dol files) through the Homebrew channel. A Wii cannot aid in softmodding a Gamecube (which is what I thought you were asking in my first response).
tech3475 said:
Thanks for the response. Would something like this work: http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/GCN/Wii...__EF000580.aspx
That is exactly what you need. It won't work on a Wii with newer firmware though, despite what it says (not that you need it for the Wii).

EDIT:
QUOTE(George Dawes @ Jun 2 2010, 02:17 PM)
Ritek 1.3gb discs
Yes. Those are the ones I couldn't remember.

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you again. The reason why I thought the Wii was suitable was because I thought MIOS was near perfect recreation of the GC minus the obvious expansion ports.

I thought that if I found a single execution Dol which copies itself to memory or a works on the Wii would work. Ok thank you.

Also, I don't know so much about compatibility, I use GCOS on my Wii and it works fine with the latest version for most games. But then I still have a chip.

I would get a chip if it wasn't for my lack of skill and the fact that I can't purchase a chip locally.

Like I said, I am not as experienced with GC softmodding and I was just seeing if it was possible to do this on the cheap/easiest way possible.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Try it. You may have a better drive than 98% of other GCN owners.

Ritek G04 were the only discs that worked reliably. TDK used to use the Ritek G04 dye, dunno if they still do (doubtful, it hasn't been produced for a good few years).

Also there is a massive difference between made in Singapore verbs and pretty much any other MID. Quality scan those discs, check out the difference for yourself. And if you have a samsung drive in your 360, don't figure on the drive lasting that long using cheap DL discs.

lukands said:
Would Ritek 1.46gb work I can`t find no 1.3gb discs
Yeah sorry the discs are 1.46gb, GCN isos were 1.35gb.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had bought a Xeno 2.0 modchip for my GameCube along with some what I thought were G04 Riteks from meritline. Once my discs arrived I found they were G05, not one of them work for crap. I can use my full disc DVD's just fine but don't like having the case off my cube
frown.gif

This was using a 16x Sony burner (really a LG drive). I now also have a 18x Samsung burner but haven't tried with that one on the G05 discs.

Anyone know where you can pickup some real G04's anymore?

lukands

I took the little bus here
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Looking for Ritek discs, but the ads I see don`t say anything about them being G04 or G05, whats that? How do you tell them apart.

EDIT....is Ritek and Ridata the same?

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thaddius said:
1. You can't install them using a hacked Wii, no. Here's a guide on how to get\use SDLoad (and here's SDLoad), which you will need to run GC .dol files. You can use an AR with an SD Gecko or you can buy Datel's SD Launcher.
2. There are certain mini DVDs that work very well (can't remember them right now). There used to be places (divineo I think was one of them) where you could get cases that could support full-sized discs. Either way you may still have to adjust your GCs laser with a potentiometer to be able to read the discs without any Disc Read Errors.
3. Apart from the one I listed above I can't seem to find any. This doesn't mean there aren't any out there though...
4. Modchips are easier (once their installed) mostly because you don't have to go through any kind of humdrum to get things working.
LIES!!! i modded my gamecube using my wii

check my profile.

was a pain but once i got it going was easy

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
sanoblue said:
thaddius said:
LIES!!! i modded my gamecube using my wii

check my profile.

was a pain but once i got it going was easy

thanks for the guide, however, can you please link me to the files because the host is gone.

edit:

Nevermind I found them.

I managed to get the mod working (kind of, see below), however, I couldnt use the method mentioned in the guide because the apps either wouldn't load or froze. Instead I did this:
1. I used GCbootGUI to turn the dols into seperate, bootable, isos.
2. I use the multi-game utility to allow me to turn the four seperate dols into a single iso
3. I booted the game and selected the app from GCOS which ran flawlessly only needing to reboot when I wanted to switch apps.

Now the only issue is that I need to try to tweak the lens to get the game I am testing (TOS, which was a pain even with a wiikey) to work properly.

Can anyone recommend a good guide?

edit 2:

Just tried LOZ:wind waker and so far it seems to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1