OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quake2DS Prerelease 1
Oh yes
%5B1818%5Dquake2ds.jpg

Simon Hall has released his port of the infamous Quake II for the DS. To use this, you're going to need either the full or shareware version (found here) of Quake II, and a slot-2 flashcart that can be used as RAM (see compatibility list below, Quake2DS will not run without slot-2 RAM).

Depending on the slot-2 cart you have, theres a possibility it can be overclocked. This can yield up to a 40% performance increase in game. Download memtestARM below to see if you're able to do this.

[title:Installation Instructions] 1. You need Quake II's data files. If you own a copy, that's cool - you'll have full access to the game. If not, then you can download the shareware version of Quake II from id's site. This will only allow you to play the levels from the first episode. If you want to play the full game, buy a copy - don't ask me (or others) where you can get these files.
-- In the root of your flash card, make a directory named baseq2
-- If you're using the shareware version, copy the pak from that archive into the baseq2 directory that you just created
-- If you're using a commerical version, copy all the pak files into that directory

2. You need a config file to tell the game how buttons are set up, etc. I know that my config file works, so download that from the link above and save it into the baseq2 directory.

3. Visit Chishm's DLDI page (above) and download the DLDI driver file which corresponds to your NDS booting method.

4. Download the Quake2DS binary package above, and extract the NDS file into the root of your flash card

5. You now need to DLDI patch that program so that it will be able to access the files on your card

6. Put the card in your booting hardware and turn on your DS!
[title:Supported Carts for RAM]# 'Proper' SuperCards, eg the Lite, SD, MiniSD, and CF. The SuperCard Rumble and SuperCard One are not compatible.
# 'Perfect' M3s, eg the Lite Perfect, the Mini SD Perfect, and the SD Perfect. The Mini SD Pro, SD Pro, and Lite Pro are not compatible.
# EZ-Flash cards which have a slot-2 component and can play GBA games over 32MBit, eg EZ 3-in-1, EZ 4, EZ 5
# G6 Flash

download.gif
Download Quake2DS
download.gif
Download memtestARM
icon11.gif
Source

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
looks cool, I'll try this out when DX gets my EZ 3-in-1 to me

but by the time I get there will probably be another release, since it hasn't even been shipped yet, it keeps getting delayed since its taking some time for them to get all the things I ordered together

simonjhall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hear ya mate
laugh.gif

8 meg is a real squeeze I'm afraid. I MAY try and make it work for the next release, but I might have to cut out some stuff. The game needs roughly 4 + 12 meg of RAM...getting it into 4 + 8 would be a push!
For people interested in getting the best card, it's the EZ 3-in-1, then the M3 Perfect, then the worst card is the Supercard. Having a 32 meg card will do nothing extra over having a 16 meg card.

P

pasc

I played using the shareware wad and the graphics look great, although the touchscreen aiming is kinda slow.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
For people interested in getting the best card, it's the EZ 3-in-1, then the M3 Perfect, then the worst card is the Supercard.

Why is that? Is it faster, or what? I have both the 3in1 and the M3 Perfect, but to use the 3in1 I have to remove the case
rolleyes.gif
I have tried with both of them, but I didn't notice any difference.
Having a 32 meg card will do nothing extra over having a 16 meg card.
That's a shame. I reckon 16 MB of extra RAM will only help a lot... Will there be support in future versions?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Results:

EZ Flash 3 - Every now and then has a refresh lag but most of the time it runs fine.
EZ4 Lite Deluxe - Has lag every now and then no matter what speed.
EZ3in1 - Guru Meditation Error no matter what speed I choose.
tongue.gif

m3 Perfect miniSD - Runs very quickly with no problems even on the slowest speed!
biggrin.gif

The results seem to be exactly the same no matter what slot 1 cart I use (R4, EZV, AKRPG tested).

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
For people interested in getting the best card, it's the EZ 3-in-1, then the M3 Perfect, then the worst card is the Supercard.

Why is that? Is it faster, or what? I have both the 3in1 and the M3 Perfect, but to use the 3in1 I have to remove the case
rolleyes.gif
I have tried with both of them, but I didn't notice any difference.
simonjhall said:
@pas, the 3-in-1 is IMO the best card that you can play this game on. It's actually faster than the M3, and cheaper too! Also (in case anyone's wondering), there is no advantage to having a 32 meg card over a 16 meg card. If I had taken the time I could probably get the game working in 8 meg, to allow the Opera expansion to work with it...
So it's faster... Is it worth getting the 3in1 out of the case?
Also interesting:
simonjhall
Things coming in version 2:
- speed
- multiplayer
- video menu :-)
- maybe music
- bug fixes
- video playback
- better polygon limit solution
- HDR effects?
I can't wait