[Q][HANS] Merging update data with RomFS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Roxie Mika, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Roxie Mika
    OP

Roxie Mika YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT COMIIIIIN'

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    Is there a way to get the update data to merge it into a built RomFS for HANS? For example, for Smash Bros. It's annoying to have to choose either custom music or having all characters and stages unlocked...

2. Misledz

Misledz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2015
    There's not much that can be said about this because right now as of the moment HANS is a closed source project by smea, Unless he puts it up on his github it's only he who knows if that will or will not be possible.

3. Roxie Mika
    OP

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    Oh, I should clarify... I kinda misspoke by saying a "built RomFS". I meant like, integrate the update data into a RomFS that one is building to use with HANS. I've heard of people doing that with Pokemon on HANS, but I wasn't certain if doing so required kernel access or anything like that.

4. Misledz

Sep 3, 2015
    Well one of the things people used to complain about was Pokemon Neo Y didn't work if you didn't delete the 1.4 update data or do the proper 1000 byte header strip. But now the update a few weeks ago fixed that issue and so you don't have to do any of that, ironically I have my Pokemon 1.4 update data present and it still works. In the original game launch it shows in the lower right corner 1.4 but when launching it via HANS for Neo Y, it doesn't show any version number on the lower right, either it DOES work or it was hidden from the ROM Hack, that I don't know. But one thing I know is for sure, One of the patches was for making sure you could get all 720 pokemon, Hoopa and Volcanion included. What I don't know is if the Pokemon data was added to the original dump or the patch update works along side.

5. MissingNO123

MissingNO123 Jigglypuff

Nov 24, 2012
    Canada
    hell
    There's already a tutorial for this somewhere else on the site (in fact, I think it's on the home page right now under tutorials)

6. Misledz

Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by Misledz, Nov 13, 2015
  7. MissingNO123

MissingNO123 Jigglypuff

Nov 24, 2012
    Canada
    hell
    Extracting the update partition requires kernel hacks, but if you already have the decrypted files (from online or someone else) you can patch them in to a romfs for HANS

major_mew likes this.
  8. Roxie Mika
    OP

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    Okay, I'm seriously about to tear my hair out. So everything seems to have gone fine with RomFS. However, now that I try to extract the code.bin from the update ExeFS for HANS, it just isn't happening. Ctrtool says "unknown file" when I try to run the ExeFS through it to extract, and 3dstool says "ERROR: nothing to be extract". Trying to just rename the exefs file to 000EDF00.code and have HANS load it just results in "invalidated icache". Can someone help me out?

9. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    I'm having the same issue, it seems to be a problem for anyone who is trying to combine their own romfs with the update data, don't know why but hopefully there will be a fix soon.

10. RetroBitMig

RetroBitMig CEO of PixelRocket (returning soon) and Maagic Dev

Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    What's the command you're running to extract your ExeFS?

11. Roxie Mika
    OP

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Bronx, NY
    I figured out how to extract the exeFS later on. I used the hack pack linked to in this thread.

12. RetroBitMig

RetroBitMig CEO of PixelRocket (returning soon) and Maagic Dev

Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Ah, yes, I was going to use some info from there to help you. I'm glad you got it! :D