PSX multi bin audio titles

placebo_yue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I've reciently noticed that a game i have on my collection (monster rancher hop-a-bout) didn't have music.
I found a different version online that comes with 20 bins, with the missing tracks. If i run the cue with all those in the folder i have music, but i need (for FRONTEND reasons) to have all those in a single bin.

Problem is, when i merge those into a single bin (and modify the cue accordingly, be it manually or with softwares that do it for me) i still don't get music. Is it an emulator issue? or perhaps i'm doing something wrong with the merging?
I'm using EPSXE, i know you'll suggest medafen or something else, but besides this little issue im 100% okay with EPSXE and i don't wanna go thru the hassle of installing and configurating a new emulator, since as i said before i have a frontend and everything already set up to my liking.

I used "PSXVCD" to merge the BIN files. I currently don't have any CD burning software to try some other way, but i can get one if you recommend a solid way to do this.
Hope some of you have a solution for this

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think epsxe will load multi bin or wav files. I have it for mega man x3. I don't think a normal psx or ps2 will run wav files, so I have a separate version that's just all bin files (works on both psx classic and ps2 as a burned disc):

upload_2021-1-17_14-23-20.png

Reactions: Alexander1970

placebo_yue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think epsxe will load multi bin or wav files. I have it for mega man x3. I don't think a normal psx or ps2 will run wav files, so I have a separate version that's just all bin files (works on both psx classic and ps2 as a burned disc):

View attachment 242220

it does! but i need it in a single bin so my frontend doesn't have 19 entries for the same game (one for each bin audio track)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can make one bin/cue if you use daemon tools, alcohol 120%, or something like ultraiso to mount the game, then use imgburn to create a disc image of that virtual drive, but it's been so long that I'm just not sure entirely.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

windows 10 has a virtual disc drive emulator, but afaik, it only works for iso files, so you need something like daemon tools or alcohol 120%. be careful with alcohol, it tries to install a lot of bull shit on your computer during install.

placebo_yue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I used imgBurn to create a new bin/cue from the multibin/cue and as long as i keep the SLUS_11222 filename, the music works. But if i change it to something like "monster rancher hop about", even if the cue file also has the correct BIN name, it doesn't work.
I'm so confused. At least now i found a way to have music, but having to keep the slus filename is kinda crappy

ReigningSemtex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can't you just convert to pbp that's what I use for my ps1 emulation and it's just the one file so I don't have to delete multiple entries of the same game on my frontend. It compresses the data too. I would suggest converting to chd but I don't think epsxe works with chd files.

Reactions: placebo_yue

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one of the psx emulators converts to cdz from what I remember, but I don't know if that will help or if that's even epsxe. I've only used two psx emulators, so it's either that or psxfin I think.

placebo_yue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can't you just convert to pbp that's what I use for my ps1 emulation and it's just the one file so I don't have to delete multiple entries of the same game on my frontend. It compresses the data too. I would suggest converting to chd but I don't think epsxe works with chd files.

I just found people talking about pbp somewhere else so i'm seriously considering that.
I found out that the audio works (after the ripping with imgburn and all) if and only if, i open the cue file. And for some reason my frontend seems to insist on opening the bin file. If i can get around that i won't have to do the pbp thing (which i did when i used my now dusty PSP, so it wouldn't be much trouble).

i also found out PBP is multidisc, so it would make the multidisc games like FF7 easier for my frontend too. (although i have no clue on how the disc selection would go then)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

since the cue file is needed for the emulator to make use of the music in the bin, and the conversion to PBP (as far as i know) completely ignores cue files and only converts bin, i still have no audio. Too bad..

ReigningSemtex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
since the cue file is needed for the emulator to make use of the music in the bin, and the conversion to PBP (as far as i know) completely ignores cue files and only converts bin, i still have no audio. Too bad..

Did you create a pbp and the audio wasn't working then? Yes it puts multi disc games into 1 file, I am not sure how you swap discs with the standalone epsxe emulator but with retroarch there's an option to swap discs. I have converted games with multiple cue files into pbp's with no audio issues. Just download PSX2PSP and check out a tutorial on YouTube and you'll be playing your game in no time.

placebo_yue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Did you create a pbp and the audio wasn't working then? Yes it puts multi disc games into 1 file, I am not sure how you swap discs with the standalone epsxe emulator but with retroarch there's an option to swap discs. I have converted games with multiple cue files into pbp's with no audio issues. Just download PSX2PSP and check out a tutorial on YouTube and you'll be playing your game in no time.

PSX2PSP did the trick.
anyways, it seems impossible to change discs when opening the game from frontend, but from the emulator a popup with "select disc" comes up when opening the rom, so i guess i'll have to play multidisc games outside frontend after disc 1. But it's still a good way to have them in a single compressed file. And the audio issues have been fixed!

ReigningSemtex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What frontend are you using? I use launchbox/bigbox if I remember correctly you can make that frontend see multi disc games while only displaying 1 game if you name the files right. I think you could also swap discs using your emulator of choice then save the state and load up the pbp file through your frontend then just load the save state and carry on gaming, I could be wrong but worth a try. Happy gaming.

placebo_yue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What frontend are you using? I use launchbox/bigbox if I remember correctly you can make that frontend see multi disc games while only displaying 1 game if you name the files right. I think you could also swap discs using your emulator of choice then save the state and load up the pbp file through your frontend then just load the save state and carry on gaming, I could be wrong but worth a try. Happy gaming.
I use Attract Mode, and i have no clue if there's a way to handle multi disk. But its okay, i won't be playing A LOT of those. There's FF7, metal gear solid, FF9.. and.. i think that's it. If there's any other multidisk game worth playing out there im not aware of it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also