i-GR5RD9j-XL.jpg

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vigilante said:
Um aren't most of the good games just remakes?
MVC3 and tales of the innocence are examples.

Well, more like ports than anything else, and it seems to have a good mix between the ports and the original games tailor made for the system.

And UMvC3 on the go? I am so there...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some news on this: Vita will have external battery option.

Seems like there's a battery add-on peripheral by Sony themselves, which kinda seems to be shooting themselves in the foot.

Also, why are people so up in arms over this when I swore the 3DS was said to have the same estimated battery life upon its announcement and such?

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice amount of information, still wondering about the memory card..... what type of card is it exactly?

As for the battery life, it's a portable people 3-5 hours is more than enough and if it's not enough for you or you're going on a longer journey then buy a spare battery and charge it up.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the battery-life is OK. I mean when you see what it is capable of I think it is totally fine, especially since these gadget have to be quite thin!

Also 3DS has the same battery-life, so....

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Guild McCommunist said:
Seems like there's a battery add-on peripheral by Sony themselves, which kinda seems to be shooting themselves in the foot.Only if the peripheral mounts over the rear touchpad
nyanya.gif

QUOTEAlso, why are people so up in arms over this when I swore the 3DS was said to have the same estimated battery life upon its announcement and such?
So? That just means that both consoles have a short battery life. Read through the 3DS announcement threads, there were plenty people criticizing the (announced) battery life there too.

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

Seems like there's a battery add-on peripheral by Sony themselves, which kinda seems to be shooting themselves in the foot.

Also, why are people so up in arms over this when I swore the 3DS was said to have the same estimated battery life upon its announcement and such?

If the battery add-on provides anywhere close to what the PSP's extended battery does, then I'll be super happy- I rarely have to worry about recharging, and can Definitely take it on trips without a problem.

I think people are up in arms about it when compared to the 3DS because they (for whatever reason) expected to get a better deal- maybe they thought that the lack of 3D would provide a boost in estimated battery life (despite everything else it's packing)? I know I was upset because I'm really dissatisfied with the 3DS' battery life- I was really looking forward to Nyko's new power grip thing (I think it's still unreleased). Unfortunately, I feel like I have to wait on either a new iteration of the 3DS, or spend money on both the slide pad expansion, and an external battery...and then, not use them in conjunction, or wait for Another 3rd party solution.

I understand that, by providing an external battery, it seems like Sony is saying, "Yes- we Know there should be more battery life, and the design is flawed." However, as with the PSP, I'm happier that there is a 1st party solution to it at all, instead of having to shop around for 3rd party solutions that may not be of the greatest quality, you know? I really wish Nintendo provided a external battery + slide pad expansion. If they did that, they could have resolved what many people (i.e., consumers of the product they are selling) consider a problem, as well as introduce the slide pad/buttons, without having to admit there was a battery problem to begin with ("No! We just want to provide enough power for the expansion to insure an optimal gaming experience, blah blah blah").

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
manobon said:
I understand that, by providing an external battery, it seems like Sony is saying, "Yes- we Know there should be more battery life, and the design is flawed."
While I consider the announced battery life way too short, I don't think the external battery will be seen as admitting a mistake.

A lot of portable electronics have a first party extended battery pack available, and it's usually not seen as a flaw in the design. Cameras, laptops; even mobile phones used to have that option. The device comes with a standard battery, and there's an extra power pack available if you need more battery life. Having a first party external battery isn't generally viewed as admitting a flaw in design, but merely a (welcome) optional extra.

Speaking of that Nyko Power Grip thing; if the slider expansion thing catches on, I bet Nyko will release a version with the extra controls built in. That way you could have the slider expansion and the extra battery.

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Speaking of that Nyko Power Grip thing; if the slider expansion thing catches on, I bet Nyko will release a version with the extra controls built in. That way you could have the slider expansion and the extra battery.

I hope so- and I also hope that Nintendo firmware updates don't then render it invalid, etc.!

But yeah- you're right about Sony not "making a mistake", and how external/bigger batteries have been considered extra accessories for a long time (still wish Nintendo made one, though). I was just addressing Guild McCommunist's perspective.

justin05

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:

One peripheral i would get. But since we're on the peripheral topic, can't wait for Nintendo to
make a cup holder for the 3DS

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I mean they're shooting themselves in the foot by basically pointing out a flaw of the system.

When people were saying that the 3DS should have a Nintendo battery extender, I said it wouldn't happen because Nintendo would just be making themselves look like incompetent fools. They'd be saying "Hey, we could've had this add-on as part of the actual system and have no complaints on battery life, but instead we're gonna make you pay extra for our mistakes!" Sony is currently doing that right now. I guess they didn't want to make the Vita a lot fatter since apparently electronics being paper thin is the hip new trend today, but making people pay extra for an add-on you designed to compensate for a problem they know damn well you can solve is just a slap in the face to consumers. And before you think I'm going all traitor with Sony, yes, Nintendo is doing the same thing with the slide pad add-on, so don't go "YEAH FUCK SONY NINTENDO WOULD NEVER DO THAT!"

All that being said, I'm content with the Vita battery, I'm one of those people who actually charges my shit instead of just throwing it on the counter and leaving it without charge for days. And I'm also one of those people who do more than drool over their handheld 24/7 so I can't see myself playing it for more than 3-5 hours without a charger in the area. I also keep everything on low when I'm on the go (backlight and various other settings) as a habit. Only time I even remember turning up my PSP backlight to the max when on-the-go was on a bus ride to DC (Gahars knows what I'm talking about) and the sunlight was blaring through the window and giving me the worst glare.

Will I buy the add-on? Probably not unless the battery craps out on my Vita or I have enough cash to not buy another game (unlikely since I can buy PSP games and such from the store for a lot cheaper than Vita games) but enough to buy the add-on. Do I think it's stupid? Yes, yes I do. Still, I don't have many complaints about the system outside of the rear touchpad, which honestly is big case of "Why?" and this, but this is completely optional. Maybe the 3G too but that again is completely optional.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Well, each company to their own, I say. Both of them are taking their consoles in somewhat different directions, and despite what people may think, the 3DS has a potential head start over PSV.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ace Faith said:
Well, each company to their own, I say. Both of them are taking their consoles in somewhat different directions, and despite what people may think, the 3DS has a potential head start over PSV.
The 3DS wasn't marketed correctly. If it was, I'm pretty sure it'll be more successful than now and that slide pad expansion won't even exist.

On topic: The Vita storage cards look like M2 cards (with the words PS VITA on it). Hopefully Sony markets it right for this one, they have been doing a decent job so far.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Guild McCommunist said:
Well, I mean they're shooting themselves in the foot by basically pointing out a flaw of the system.

[...] "Hey, we could've had this add-on as part of the actual system and have no complaints on battery life, but instead we're gonna make you pay extra for our mistakes!" Sony is currently doing that right now. I guess they didn't want to make the Vita a lot fatter since apparently electronics being paper thin is the hip new trend today, but making people pay extra for an add-on you designed to compensate for a problem they know damn well you can solve is just a slap in the face to consumers.

If you insist on seeing the battery pack as highlighting a flaw in their own design, you might as well say the other accessories are pointing out other design shortcomings as well. The official screen protector compensates for a crappy screen that scratches easily. The official carry case compensates for a crappy build quality. The memory cards... okay, no built-in memory is a flaw, but even if it had some built-in memory, having memory cards would be admitting the existing amount is not enough.

And so on and so forth.

Portable devices, and Sony's are no exception, have always had first party extended life batteries, and it was never seen as compensating for any sort of mistake. The device came with a standard battery, and if that wasn't enough you had the option to upgrade to a long life one. Both Sony and Nintendo should have had an extended life battery pack on offer from day one, the lazy bastards.

I'm not saying the battery life is good or decent or even enough. I'm just saying that the extra battery isn't "admitting" a flaw, and won't be seen as such.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks