notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I bought a used PSP that didnt come with a battery or a charger and purchased both of those via dealextreme (2 week shipping D: ) and had a friend test it out after I had already bought it. He told me that it wouldn't turn on with a battery or the AC charger, but it would charge the battery. I also noticed something odd with the psp... With the exception of the screws under the warranty sticker, every screw is missing, in addition the wifi switch is nowhere to be found. Oh snap, I just realized the warranty sticker is in Japanese for some reason.... and it's a 1001... Is it possible one of the previous owners took a non-replaceable part that is preventing it from running? At the moment I do not have an easily accessible pandora's battery (would need to pull favors from two different people whom owe me none) so I would rather see if there's anything else I can check for.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
notnarb said:
So I bought a used PSP that didnt come with a battery or a charger and purchased both of those via dealextreme (2 week shipping D: ) and had a friend test it out after I had already bought it. He told me that it wouldn't turn on with a battery or the AC charger, but it would charge the battery. I also noticed something odd with the psp... With the exception of the screws under the warranty sticker, every screw is missing, in addition the wifi switch is nowhere to be found. Oh snap, I just realized the warranty sticker is in Japanese for some reason.... and it's a 1001... Is it possible one of the previous owners took a non-replaceable part that is preventing it from running? At the moment I do not have an easily accessible pandora's battery (would need to pull favors from two different people whom owe me none) so I would rather see if there's anything else I can check for.

Open it up and see if anything's missing. Also, the cable for the power board may be disconnected.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nothing appears to be missing, I'll upload a pic in a sec

edit:
2nqzkfs.jpg

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If it had a CFW on it, try to turn on the PSP while pressing R... It should come up a Configuration Menu (the one of the CFW).

If it doesn't come up anything, your last chance is the Pandora's Battery, that should work even when a PSP's Filesystem is completely wrecked.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
update: I tried the method described here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYRnaImG28E and I could get the green light to flicker on/off as well as the orange one, but I couldnt get it to fully turn on in my 15ish second attempt, I then left it for a few seconds and came back and was unable to get either light to come back, I'm hoping due to a dead battery (still don't have a charger, so I was using whatever charge my third party battery had out of the package). Does the lights turning on and off indicate anything or could it still be severe damage that is the main issue?

Another thing, despite the psp being old enough to have either 1.5 or 1.51 firmware originally, I noticed it was a sharp lcd rather then a Samsung.. I can't find any timeline of psp lcd's, but I do know the earlier ones had samsung ones. Could this problem have come from the previous owner replacing the screen unsuccessfully?

mice R nice ~(_&

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
HCPortals.tk
XP
Country
Basically you shouldn't really assume things until you have a charger and a battery, there's sooo many wierd things that happen with batteries. For example, I was hanging out with some friends and I spilled A LOT of water on my cell phone, I freaked out and got reallt frustrated. I went home and charged my battery but it still wouldn't turn on. Then my bro told me to let the battery dry, so after I dried it, it turned on and it works perfectly. I don't mean to tell a story but I just want you to know how crutial a battery is to a PSP's operation. Essentially it looks like you might have been $cammed, how much was it?

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
my friend tested it with a battery, with a charger, and both and it wouldn't turn on for any of those. Water can make electronics go pretty crazy, but the water detecting dots appear to be just fine (and unlike the warranty sticker, appears to be much harder to replace).

I only payed 50 dollars for it, and I can probably turn around and sell the screen for 30 and get around 10 for the rest of the parts and even make a slight profit if I sell the 2GB memory card and battery I bought from DX for twice what I bought them for
yaypsp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o