Gaming PSP - RPG choice

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got Persona 3 and I actualy decided to get FF VII even though I had made up my mind not to get an FF game. They are both good games but I think I prefer Persona. I just wish the interactive part of the game was a bit more dynamic.

I also got diablo running after a bit of a fight. It runs with no sound on the PSP go. :( Headphones work though. Damn POPs.

I'll have to refer back to this thread after I have finished these games. Thanks. :lol:

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's my must play list. It's missing the awesome ones I have played though!

breath of fire 3
ClaDun: This is an RPG
Crimson Gem Saga
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Crunch
Daxter
Dead Head Fred
Dissidia
Dissidia 012
Echochrome
Final Fantasy 2
Final fantasy IV complete
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Half-Minute Hero
Hexyz Force
What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord!? 2
Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier
Jeanne D'Arc
Kenka Bancho Badass Rumble
Kingdom of Paradise
Loco Roco 1 & 2
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
PaRappa the Rapper
Parasite Eve 3: The 3rd Birthday
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 1 & 2
Tales of Eternia
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
Meh. I started it years ago and wanted to finish it. I think the japanese seem to be so focused to making things look edgy and badass that they've lost most of the talent they ever had for making games. Square Enix have not clue n0.1 on where to go with Final Fantasy now. If they ever remade ff7, it would lose all its charm in its new looks and camera angles. They'd probably even make the amazing music sound like awful weeaboo fanboy covers.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have found Crisis Core ok. It seems a bit unbalanced at times with some fights labelled very hard that you can complete with your eyes closed while others that I have found nearly impossible while at the same level. It has also become very boring with very little exploration and discovery.
Persona 3 is very cool but can get a bit repetitive. It is something I keep going back to.

I'll probably try these next.
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Valkyria Chrionicles II
Ogre Tactics: Let us cling together.

Thanks again for the lists.

It's missing the awesome ones I have played though!

What are the awesome ones you have played?

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
That's gonna take some thought, kingdom hearts bbs, um... wow. I've owned several psps since 05 and I can't remember half the games I've enjoyed on it.

gonzab

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a decent RPG with a focus on exploration? Xenoblade Chronicles like.
If there are any I would be very interested in these too.

I've played 3 PSP RPG's so far, only had the console for a couple of months. Those were Birth by Sleep, Brave Story and Persona. Birth by Sleep was an awesome antry on the series and probably the most interesting, I'd definietly recommend it to anyone but fans of the series will absolutely take the most out of it. Brave Story is charming but it seems kinda lazy at spots which is a shame since the source material seems to have so much quality. Finally I'm playing Persona just for the sake of playing the games of the series in order. Like I said, it's the first game of the series and it shows even being a remake which had some changes, The gameplay is very unrefined and clunky at times but the idea was original at the time. Nonetheless it's bearable. The characters and story are the best part, it's the usual mindfuck, mystery and demon stuff MegaTen games usually deliver. I know there are lots of otehr great RPG's but I'll recommend these since these are the ones that I fully experienced.

Zio Name

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If i may throw my 2 cents into this discussion, i would strongly advise against Persona 3 Portable (but i think it is too late, since you already started playing it), since i found it more like a Visual Novel with RPG elements than a RPG with VN elements.

About your question on "Xenoblade-like" RPGs... I can't think of anything like that... Maybe Blade Dancer, but it's a lot more focused on item crafting than free exploration, in my opinion.

A really really nice jRPG is Mana Khemia Student Alliance, but if you can, buy the PSN version. The UMD version has ATROCIOUS load times even with data install.

And one last advice. If you intend to play Persona 2 Tsumi/Batsu, please, do yourself a favor and play the PS1 converted versions. The PSP ports are something orrible.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Eternal Punishment hasn't even been released on the PSP yet. And as for Innocent Sin -

1.Remixed Soundtrack -- Your choice between that, and the original.
2.You get to choose between the original opening, and the new one.
3.Battles have been upgraded and rebalanced, though the core is still the same.
4.New sidequests, via a Theatre.
5.You get to create your own quests.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/611279-shin-megami-tensei-persona-2-innocent-sin/59329248

Zio Name

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Interesting, why is that? Messed up translation?

Well, from a technical standpoint, the port is inferior if compared to the original PS1 version. Superior load times even when using Data Install (well, comparing the PS1 version to the PSP Data Install the difference is a matter of seconds, to be honest), the game was only stretched to 16:9 and not adapted properly, and talking about the port with Gemini (he's italian like me and we know each other), we discussed the translation and he noticed various errors in the translated PSP version; the difficulty (to be noted that the original version was not really hard) has been toned down, the PSP Hard Mode is easier than the original PS1 Version. And well, last but not least... The Censorship applied to the game.

@[member='xist']: That's just a bunch of extra content applied to surpass the infamous "port barrier" of SCEA about the 30% of extra content, no more, no less.

gonzab

Trophies
XP
Country
But Innocent Sin wasn't even released in the west for the PS1 so I'd say the PSP version is a pretty good way of playing it.

And I'm not playing Persona 3 Portable, I'm playing the first Persona but I'm not sure if you were talking to me. Nonetheless the only real downgrade I can tell was made to Persona 3 was that instead of controlling the MC throughout the city you just have a pointer. I think that hardly qualifies it as VN, but I don't know, I may be missing something.

But I'm curious about what kind of censorship was put into Innocent Sin since that's something that might put me off.

Zio Name

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
About Persona 3 i was talking to the TC, my bad that i did not quote.

About the VN stuff, i was referring to P3 in general, not only P3P. You spend actually more time going around the city talking to random people about totally extra random stuff (extra intended as: not related to the plot, e.g. Kenji or the old couple or the french transfer student) that has a relatively little impact on the gameplay, but that occupies a lot more time than doing "RPG stuff". The Tartarus is just a simple, plain randomly generated dungeon that exist for the sole purpose of grinding.

About the censorship in P2... It's just some "minor" stuff... but if you want fidelity to the original, it can tick you off a lot.

gonzab

Trophies
XP
Country
I see, now I'm not so sure if I should play the remake/port or play the original. If anyone else has any opinion on this it would be cool. Meanwhile I'll just continue playing the first Persona.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I see, now I'm not so sure if I should play the remake/port or play the original. If anyone else has any opinion on this it would be cool. Meanwhile I'll just continue playing the first Persona.
play the enhanced port, this guy doesnt know what he is going on about

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hitorikuroi @ hitorikuroi: @K3Nv2, the answer about life is that it sucks