Hardware PSP Max Memory Speed with adapter question..

Dan Bashur

Love my new SuperSlim!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to know if anyone knows the following:

With the dual Micro SD to Memory Stick Pro Duo adapter, do the Micro SD cards take a performance hit or does the adapter simply "pass through" , and if not what is the maximum memory speed that the PSP can physically handle?

To rephrase: What is the maximum read/write capacity of the PSP's Memory Stick Pro Duo Card Reader in general?

I want to put in 2x 32 GB Micro SD cards in a dual micro SD to Memory Stick Pro Duo adapter and wanted to see if there was a real benefit to going with the 30 MB/s Sandisk Ultra UHS-1 32 GB Class 10 cards or if the standard 10 MB/s Class 10 cards out there are adequate?

My rationing for all of this? Why waste the extra $ on the faster cards if you don't need to?

For those who may also be interested in this - Best Buy has the 32 GB Sandisk Ultra UHS-1 Class 10 30 MB/s cards on sale during Black Friday for $17.99. At roughly $40 to upgrade your PSP to 64 GB (59 GB formatted), it's a no-brainer..

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It only really makes a difference to write speeds on to the cards. In my experience the Micro SD Pro Duo adapter doesnt slow down the write or read speeds of the cards inserted into them.

What i will say though, is that with the really expensive micro SD cards and the lesser ones you WONT notice any difference when in use with the PSP. Games will play the same (you might get SLIGHT load time differences but they will hardly be noticeable)

Dan Bashur

Love my new SuperSlim!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch kristianity77! That's what I really needed to know. So, the adapter doesn't bottleneck anything and it seems that any class 10 card will do with little difference in performance between the best and the good cards.. I'm still going to probably get the Ultra Sandisk cards on the Black Friday deal at Best Buy since they are just $17.99, but if I see the standard class 10 32 GB cards that are $19.99 right now for $9.99 or so somewhere I'll do that instead. It seems that the 10 MB/s read/write is adequate and I won't lose any sleep over not being in line early to get those 30 MB/s cards..

Again, I really appreciate your response..

- Dan

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just done a quick test just to make sure. Bear in mind that when you use a dual micro SD adapter, you have to read and write through the PSP with a USB cable (you cannot put the card into a PC card reader as it wont work and risks corruption).

Anyway, i wrote a 1GB File from the PC to the PSP through USB in 2 minutes 3 seconds. I then put one of the cards into a USB Reader and it wrote the same file in 1 minute 57 seconds so there is small difference. But this could be down to the transfer going via a USB cable to a PSP instead of it being plugged straight into my laptop.
At the end of the day, the faster cards will enable SLIGHTLY faster write times, but they wont make any difference really in gameplay on a PSP. I use 128GB in my PSP now but prior to that i was using 64GB (2x 32 micro SD Class 4). The only difference now is slightly faster write speeds. Performance on the PSP is more or less identical (Very fast!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1