PSP GEN A Probaly not coming...

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Princess Rozalin, May 10, 2010.

May 10, 2010
  1. Princess Rozalin
    OP

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    Copy pasted from Another Forum...

Hopefully this news update will keep users from asking for PSP Custom Firmware 6.10 or 6.20 .

PSP Custom Firmware 6.20 – 6.10 Gen Here is a quick update for PSP Custom Firmware 6.20 or 6.10 from PSP Custom Firmware Develop PSP Gen . Currently there has not been any new news about the release of PSP Gen next Custom Firmware . No release date or any hints what so ever on when PSP CFW 6.20 or 6.10 will be release . PSPGen team on their site have stated that releasing a new PSP Custom Firmware to the homebrew community will require all PSP homebrew to be rewritten to work with the latest PSP Custom Firmware due to some changes on the PSP Firmware that is no longer available on the new firmware which is needed in order for PSP Homebrew to be able to run via Custom Firmware 6.10 or 6.20 according to the PSP CFW Developers .

Also releasing a PSP Custom Firmware will not let you play some of the latest ISO and or CSO as PSP Firmware 6.20 checks the PSP for any CFW installed on it . So releasing a new PSP CFW just for the ISO and CSO is just not worth it .

From PSPGen Site

Is it worth as much mayhem?

Also, be aware that since 6.00, Sony has structurally changed the firmware and removed a number of things “useless” to run the games, but needed to run some utilities and other homebrew. This has been remedied, in large part by our split of development but it would require a general update of all that exists in homebrew (games and utilities) and the themes and all that goes with it. Indeed, we came up with the 6.xx to a point that recalls the passage of homebrew 1.xx to 3.xx but one of the worst. Indeed, the 6.xx can no longer launch the ELF in the state and must repack all programs to make them compatible with the new Sony system. In addition, hacking tools as PSPlink and company are no longer compatible and must be adapted. This does not mean that it will not happen but it seems now that all this commotion is not worth the trouble for so little gain.

PSPGEN SITE: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...sl=fr&tl=en

Btw Dont go Flaming me im Posting this for the GBAtemp users who wondering about 6.10 or 6.20 GEN-A

2. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    /sigh, I am gonna get flamed here. Gen Ripped off M33. They have created NOTHING. Without someone else to give them the baseline like DA did in the past, they are floundering. They are a talented team, but to compare them to someone like DA who could write the custom firmwares for each new firmware as it came out is silly. The reason we have no CFW 6.xx is because they are incapable of writing it. No more, no less.

3. Princess Rozalin
    OP

United States
    Please dont Start with the M33 VS GEN ok its not Worth it...

4. GreatCrippler

United States
    Wasn't meant to start the argument. Was just meant to point out that we won't be seeing a Gen 6.xx because they aren't capable of creating it. M33 or Gen, doesn't matter. People are stuck at 5.xx for the time being, and will be for awhile.

5. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    PSP scene is almost dead.

=\

6. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Sorry. Old news. Also, M33 and GEN both have their advantages and disadvantages. Why is the debate about GEN > M33 or M33 > GEN still going on?

7. GreatCrippler

United States
    Wasn't a debate, I promise. Just pointing out that there isn't going to be a 6.xx Gen. No more, no less.

8. Princess Rozalin
    OP

United States
    this isnt Old News it was Updated but yeah it was Old anyways like i said this is for the GBAtemp users who wondering about 6.10 or 6.20 GEN-A

9. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    actually i read this a few months ago,but yeah to your last sentence i guess

10. fgghjjkll

Australia
    It wasn't directed at you entirely. 6.xx CFW would be a huge feat. Just like MaGiXeN said. It's just not worth it. There are hell lot more security implemented into the CFW and many modules required to run homebrew have been removed. Just because a few games don't work, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Wait for an anti-piracy patch or use EDecrypt.

11. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

I can see why the GEN team believes what they do, but I'm not convinced "let's just patch every game" is a viable long-term strategy. The rift between 6.xx based games and the 5.xx firmware can only grow, making the process more challenging and problematic, particularly as if features are outright added to 6.xx that would at some level need to be emulated in 5.xx firmware.

Turning the homebrew world upside down isn't a good thing, particularly when so many projects are closed-source, but at some point it's going to be easier to fix the homebrew than to write increasingly arcane patches.

12. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    which mean time to buy some of those games no? and a backup psp/pandora

13. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

Having 2 PSPs (or having to constantly switch firmwares) isn't a real solution.

14. benbop1992

Member benbop1992 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Personally, getting a 6.xx CFW would be a godsend, but making one would be a mission.

15. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    No doubt, but besides the few select titles that make OFW worth having, CFW is still 9/10 times the better solution considering the wide range of homebrew and customization available.

16. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    but it's a do everything solution

17. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

The material quoted by Princess Rozalin is correct. There already are 6.x branched CFWs in development, but everyone has encountered the same quoted issues. The GEN team is perfectly capable, but there are many issues outside of their control.

18. fgghjjkll

Australia
    GEN may have used DA's code but did DA bitch about it and complain as did Exophase and Takka? No. It was perfectly alright to use some of Team M33's code for their firmwares and Miriam and MaGiXeN are both highly respected people of the pspgen.com forums. They have made themselves a beta and i do trust those pictures. What does this tell us? 6.xx CFW is perfectly working for the purpose of loading backups without that CFW Check in the 6.xx OFWs. The problem is that homebrew will now have to go through yet ANOTHER generation as did 1.50 to 3.71. GEN is perfectly able to release the firmware anytime but why release it when only a few games are fixed and tons of homebrew are now defunct?

Team M33 fanboy, I now rest my case.

19. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Part of the reason it's not coming out is because it would provide MUCH LESS functionality than a 5.x CFW, so why bother?

The article states that very plainly multiple times.

Gogo gadget reading skills, plz.

20. Yanazake

Member Yanazake GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I can see their motive not to release a 6.xx CFW, but if this isn't fixed, or ignored, or it takes too long to be fixed, more games with that protection will come out and eventually people will press more for an release.

At least, that's what I think.