Gaming PSP 2000 Hacking Steps

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I'll most likely either get my friends psp dextar 2000 bundle tomorrow or monday. Problem is that there are two guides that are stickied in this sub forum. One being called Pandora/MMS guide for installing CFW and other being how to softmod psp. Both of them somewhat have different guidelines. Like I'll be hardmodding the batter, so do I just cut the light green line near 19 right?

Anyways, do I need Chicken to softmod psp 2000 (fully hackable mobo)

I was wondering if someone can give me a clear step by step guide. I know there is already two stickied ones but it's a bit confusing when it's not (hard to explain, like I get it but kinda hesitant as it's not really detailed)

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Also whats the big difference between CWCheat and Nite PR? Like which one is easier to use and edit as well as reliability?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can only use ChickHEN to do the mod if the original fimware on the PSP is v5.03. Anything else, and you'll be using the good old Pandora Battery/Magic Memory Stick combo. You'll want to use this guide for that. If any part of it is unclear, just say what you're not understanding and I (or another of our knowledgable PSP people) will help you through it. Spoiler: It's really, really easy.
smile.gif

As for which is better, (CWCheat/NitePR/CodePR/etc) it's hard to say and comes down to preference really. The first one I ever used was CWCheat, and it works for both PSP and PS1 games. I've never had a problem with it, so I've never switched from it! Some people will tell you CodePR is the best, others Nite PR and yet others CWCheat. I'd say try them all, see which one YOU like.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a lot supervisor
smile.gif
So if the firmware is lower or higher than 5.03 use psploader/pandora method? :s kinda confused, if other firmwares don't need chicken why does 5.03 do?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a Pandora battery, then no, you don't need ChickHEN

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the Pandora+MMS method works on the PSP, it will work on any firmware. Pandora batteries take effect and load up service mode before the firmware can load.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok I'm getting the psp tomorrow from a friend >_>(so long lol).To CLEARLY settle this cause I'm getting confused as I read more (I've never had problems modding/hacking stuff but there seems to be so many different ways for this that it's making me think like a whimp).

If I were to follow this guide 100% without doing other stuff thats not mentioned, it will hack my psp am I right? http://gbatemp.net/t206173-pandora-mms-gui...-installing-cfw

It doesn't say anything about original firmware, so if it's higher than 5.03 do I still just follow that guide? What if it's lower?

No Chicken or MHU I believe is mentioned either, so no need to worrry about using it?

Thanks and hopefully this will settle my confusin
wacko.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TwinBlades said:
ok I'm getting the psp tomorrow from a friend >_>(so long lol).To CLEARLY settle this cause I'm getting confused as I read more (I've never had problems modding/hacking stuff but there seems to be so many different ways for this that it's making me think like a whimp).

If I were to follow this guide 100% without doing other stuff thats not mentioned, it will hack my psp am I right? http://gbatemp.net/t206173-pandora-mms-gui...-installing-cfw

It doesn't say anything about original firmware, so if it's higher than 5.03 do I still just follow that guide? What if it's lower?

No Chicken or MHU I believe is mentioned either, so no need to worrry about using it?

Thanks and hopefully this will settle my confusin
wacko.gif
I believe following that guide will work, as before I moved to GEN, I updated my PSP from 5.51 to 6.20. Just follow that guide and you should be fine, if the PSP is pandora compatible. No ChickHEN necessary.
smile.gif
If you run into trouble, just let someone here know.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
ragingchaosgod said:
If it's lower than 5.03, you can upgrade it. If it's higher... well... just make sure it's not 5.50 or (heaven forbid) 6.20 or you're screwed.
Well, not really. PSP 2000 Daxter bundles are fully hackable IIRC.

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
Prowler485 said:
ragingchaosgod said:
If it's lower than 5.03, you can upgrade it. If it's higher... well... just make sure it's not 5.50 or (heaven forbid) 6.20 or you're screwed.
Well, not really. PSP 2000 Daxter bundles are fully hackable IIRC.
The old ones, only.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I just got it.
smile.gif
Unfortunatly it's firmware is 6.10. Is it hackable
frown.gif
? Also any tips of opening up the battery?

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I've put the 500.pbp into root of the memory stick (theres other folders as well and I formated b4). But when I open PSP Grader v008, I can't press the button Load 5.00 Official eBoot.(Instructions tell me to) Do I just click creat pandora stick ?

edit: I did it anyways, but before process it said "error in formating" "Continue Still" and I said yes. That ok?

EDIT2: I backed up my NAND but when it was done it said Error backing up Bad Block or something with 4 digit i believe numbers (started with 3). Once I backed it up to my PC, I can delete it from PSP am I correct?

EDIT3: I'm about to update to GEN D3. Do I still need the old 500.pbp or can I delete it?

Thanks A LOT GUYS! lol
wub.gif

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
You don't need to backup your NAND, ever. In most cases, it causes more problems than just using a pandora + MMS (which is the easiest way)

You can delete everything off your memory card when you're done.
Glad you got it working.

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
Prowler485 said:
You don't need to backup your NAND, ever. In most cases, it causes more problems than just using a pandora + MMS (which is the easiest way)
OBJECTION!
A nand backup is the safest form of backup you can have, so there's no reason why you shouldn't do it. Trust me, when reflashing your psp with pandora & MMS stops workin, you'll be glad you had that NAND backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)