Hardware PSP 1001 charging issue - fuses good, works on new battery

alphamule

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PSP 1001 (Serial number SU1847***) with 5.5 FW. I think it's OFW but I can't be sure. It's one that my brother got used several years ago.

Here's what happens:
1) I put the new battery in it and it boots to the menu screen like it's supposed to.
2) I hooked it upto a USB charger cable on a hub with an AC adapter which tests as good (cheapo meter says 5.1V and it runs 2.5" drives).
3) It won't charge.
4) It won't run off of the cable. Yes, it's the kind of cable with both the USB and barrel connector ends.
5) The system menu shows when I unplug or plug in the charger. It is detecting it so it's not a bad fuse or plug/socket.
6) Broke it down and checked all the fuses and the backlight+usb+power fuses (FD/LD/UD? hard to read) mentioned on Llama's site are all good.
7) Tried WIFI switch since someone told me that they won't charge with WIFI enabled. (True?)
8) If no battery is in, it'll light up the power LED green for about 1 second then shut down.
9) If turned off with the battery and charger cable plugged in, it'll show an orange/amber color on the LED.
10) The LED turns off if the charger cable is unplugged. As I have a PSP 1001 without the USB-charging mod, the USB port makes 0 difference.
11) Removed the Magic Gate card and got no difference in response.

I'm not sure what else to do since this covers what I've seen elsewhere. Is there some power transistor/IC that is known to go bad? Some kind of firmware glitch? I've already searched and none of the 23 related topics here seem to cover it although a couple came close.

I'd very much appreciate any help in getting this thing to play games!

alphamule

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's quite possible that even my powered-hub running on a 2.5A adapter isn't delivering even as much as 1A, yet alone 1.5A. The official USB specs say 500mA but most hubs will give 1A+ because of issues with external hard drives if they don't. *Conflicting standards* Yeah, it's breaking the USB standard to support more mechanical ATA drives but they usually get away with it.

Thanks, I'll try that with directly connecting 5V from an adapter for 3.5" drives. I'd hope that it can deliver 1.5 Amperes since it runs big drives that take over 2 amps off that rail! It sounds like it might be just be the hub.

I already have an unofficial cable that has the right barrel connector. The circuit is dead simple - just 2 wires to ground and power. Can't get much simpler. If I have to, I'll get the game shop to let me leave it plugged in for a while on theirs. I might just have to spend more money on the official adapter, sigh...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: btw my updated location I listed isn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's very close to...