Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Do you like having a usable gentoo/lfs system without having to spend years fixing every single warning in hundreds of packages? Or just being able to use homebrew without having to spend hours/days/weeks per program fixing everything. Why don't you try setting up a gentoo system where everything has been compiled with -Wall -Werror (i.e. no warnings allowed) sometime? Let me know when you finally get a usable system.

Or even just let me know when you have reverse engineered the 3ds system menu and coded a full replacement, or at least patched everything properly (which is the proper way to fix the arm11 exceptions).
Hi there, Mr. Strawman.

Reactions: GerbilSoft
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your statements are self contradictory. You clearly state it's Luma's fault but then you go on to say the app developer should fix it, doesn't make any sense. Besides TuxSh himself mentioned the handler is quite buggy.
No, they aren't. I'm saying that Luma just catches errors that would happen anyways, but are just suppressed on OFW. Not Luma's fault. The app dev just relied on the fact that nothing ever caught the error.
EDIT: Let me clarify here. If you build a program that relies on undefined behavior (up to the compiler on what to do with it), and it works when compiled with GCC, is it Clang's fault if it doesn't work when compiled with Clang?
So I assume you compile everything with -Wall -Werror , right? Because that is essentially what is happening with Luma with the exception handlers.
Actually, yes I do.

Last edited by MassExplosion213,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just observation from what I've seen since Bootstrap came out, but to me it seems like regular users/members/educated users are experiencing far less "exception" crashes than those that have either come from a very outdated setup or are new altogether. While some of the errors in specific cases can be replicated, a lot of them cannot such as "XX amount of games crash no matter what!" when they run perfectly fine on numerous other setups that are the "same". I think it's obvious that there are too many variables in consideration to the nature of these crashes like, what was your prior setup? How did you hack it? Did you come from a frakenfirm? Have you ever installed patched system titles? Have you messed with SDK apps? Have you edited your home menu? Are you loading conflicting software? Do you use a bootloader? etc, etc. And then you have those that bought systems hacked already with no history or real time troubleshooting and couldn't tell you what was done to it if they wanted to.

Personally, the only error crashes I get from arm 11 exception handlers is from DS games, and it's usually a bug as a restart of the game loads it just fine. It's just one man's opinion but I honestly feel like these issues are mountains formed from molehills. As far as I'm concerned, Luma+Rosalina work as they are intended.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just observation from what I've seen since Bootstrap came out, but to me it seems like regular users/members/educated users are experiencing far less "exception" crashes than those that have either come from a very outdated setup or are new altogether. While some of the errors in specific cases can be replicated, a lot of them cannot such as "XX amount of games crash no matter what!" when they run perfectly fine on numerous other setups that are the "same". I think it's obvious that there are too many variables in consideration to the nature of these crashes like, what was your prior setup? How did you hack it? Did you come from a frakenfirm? Have you ever installed patched system titles? Have you messed with SDK apps? Have you edited your home menu? Are you loading conflicting software? Do you use a bootloader? etc, etc. And then you have those that bought systems hacked already with no history or real time troubleshooting and couldn't tell you what was done to it if they wanted to.

Personally, the only error crashes I get from arm 11 exception handlers is from DS games, and it's usually a bug as a restart of the game loads it just fine. It's just one man's opinion but I honestly feel like these issues are mountains formed from molehills. As far as I'm concerned, Luma+Rosalina work as they are intended.

I'm personally not experienced a single crash, but I'm very careful. I have my sd card backed up on 3 hdds along with NAND backups. I wouldn't say I'm an advanced or educated user really, just someone who's extra careful. I've played around with some games, some homebrew as well, and no issues to report.

ItsYogSothoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey. Can anyone mirror that Luma legacy boot.firm file? The github link throws 404...

Edit: Never mind. I've found out Luma3DS repo has "legacy" branch which I managed to compile.

Last edited by ItsYogSothoth,

q_q

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Help Me Where is Luma3ds Legacy Branch i am not good withj computer i am only 13 where i the legacy oranch i have devkitppc and devkitarm and devkit all the devkits please help

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help Me Where is Luma3ds Legacy Branch i am not good withj computer i am only 13 where i the legacy oranch i have devkitppc and devkitarm and devkit all the devkits please help
Tell me why you need the legacy version in the first place. The reason it was removed was because it was no longer necessary since luma 8.1.1 is much more stable than the initial 8.0 release.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I never heard or a seen a thread about Boot9strap bricking, is that even a thing? b/c it so simple to install w/wo BootNTR
The only time my N3DS crashes is b/c of the bootCTR9 for the bootanim9 (Custom 3DS Boot Animation)I wonder if there's a proper fix to prevent this

Paperjin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I never heard or a seen a thread about Boot9strap bricking, is that even a thing? b/c it so simple to install w/wo BootNTR
The only time my N3DS crashes is b/c of the bootCTR9 for the bootanim9 (Custom 3DS Boot Animation)I wonder if there's a proper fix to prevent this
i'd have to 2nd this. i only recently installed CFW on my n2ds so that may be a factor. (meaning i didn't have previous cfw, just b9s and luma 8.1.1)

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently, I've seen a lot of threads about "B9S crashes" and "B9S boot problems", and even some users ranting about B9S being the cause of every single problem on Earth. I created this thread to say that no, B9S is not behind these problems, and that the cause is most likely the Luma3DS CFW in its latest versions.

Explanation:
Boot9Strap cannot cause any problem once inside of the 3DS. Boot9Strap is only an exploit or entrypoint, exactly like ARM9LoaderHax or even menuhax, oot3dhax etc., which allows the CFW to boot. When you 3DS boots, Boot9Strap only searches for a boot.firm file to run, and that's all. Once boot.firm, which contains your CFW (for example Luma3DS), is launched, B9S doesn't act anymore. You could called B9S the front door of your house, the latter being your 3DS's CFW.

The crashes and how to remedy to them:
The latest versions (v8.0 and v8.1) of Luma3DS, a common 3DS CFW, have as a new feature called Rosalina. But due to the fact that the latter is still a highly experimental beta feature, it has been known to cause a lot of ARM11 crashes, mostly in-game. The only faulty software here is Luma3DS AND NOT by B9S, since the latter has stopped running since you've booted the device.
If you encounter a lot of these crashes, it is advised to try and switch to the special Luma 3DS 7.1 "legacy" Rosalina-free build made compatible with the latest version of B9S.
You can also try the excellent Rei-Six CFW too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game