Hacking (PSA) Stop the Gatehate

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure if you understand how extremely easy it is to get a private header. all you need is literally one game to dump, extract the header and boom you're done. gateway provides a user manual, if you didn't know, and they have a self contained tool that they include in their releases. not to mention you can dump your cart with gateway's menu. you don't even need the card for it. there hasn't even been a case of a ban since spring of 2015, at that.
That may be true, but with CFW all you need to do is open up an app, select which games you want, and they install, online ready.

Reactions: alex61194

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So i guess a RXtools/gateway user like me, is an heretic to a lot of people that answered the post x), narrowminded people everywhere, they can't stand people that have something just different than them "YOU MUST HAVE THE SAME IDEA THAN ME BECAUSE ITS THE RIGHT ONE !"
Gosh, there is more toxic people here than in the whole CSGO matchmaking...

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Something works for me? Great. Something different works best for someone else? Great.
What I use doesn't affect others and what others use doesn't affect me. We each get on with whatever it is that we were doing.
That should be the end of the story.

Why some people feel the need to get offended by others for using something different to them, and go out of their way to shame, flame, and cause arguments online is beyond me. The whole master-race/circlejerk behaviour is just counterproductive and can harm actual development of the scene. It's okay to have an opinion on things and it's okay to not always think the same as someone else, so long as you don't try to make someone feel bad for not thinking the same as you.

Last edited by NekoMichi,

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And we wouldn't have boats if it weren't for rafts. Does that mean you should cross the Mediterranean on a wooden raft? Of course not! Do what's easiest and most efficient! There have been a couple of reports of people who get bricked by Gateway for no reason. And you also don't have to worry about getting banned online for not knowing what public and private headers are.
Gateways cheat system is better though. And no one uses .3DS anymore, even with gateway.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What if I told everyone... you can dislike something without spreading hate and starting flame wars.
Sounds too good to be true. This is gbatemp.

Frieren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gateways cheat system is better though. And no one uses .3DS anymore, even with gateway.
Cartridge dump is a .3ds file. All original scene releseases (besides eshop games) is a .3ds
.cia is just a cutted .3ds You can convert .3ds into .cia, but you can't convert .cia into .3ds

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cartridge dump is a .3ds file. All original scene releseases (besides eshop games) is a .3ds
.cia is just a cutted .3ds You can convert .3ds into .cia, but you can't convert .cia into .3ds
you can convert CIA to 3DS for GW, just there's no easy way to since its not common or something. CIA is an entirely different format, not just a "cutted" .3ds

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
And we wouldn't have boats if it weren't for rafts. Does that mean you should cross the Mediterranean on a wooden raft? Of course not! Do what's easiest and most efficient! There have been a couple of reports of people who get bricked by Gateway for no reason. And you also don't have to worry about getting banned online for not knowing what public and private headers are.

Bricks with gateway date far in 2014 I think, then you up the price of the card each post, first 60 then 80, I payed 50 dollars for mines in 2013 and 2014, you treat the regular user as a moron that has pentium 2 with USB 1.0, my sd card copies 16-20 me per second do it takes 200-240 seconds to copy a 3ds files, people know 3ds files as is are not safe and if they don't have a header they cannot even go online, you get banned for 2 weeks for using a public header that you need to inject yourself because most of the 3ds files don't have them in it, downloading and installing a cia takes far more time than getting a good sd adapter and copy it yourself with your header, gateway is behind cfw, yes in some aspects, but for the end user those things dont matter, you could have both worlds and be happy, I am happy because I still use 3dz with private headers and cheats with the gateway menu, those are pretty far superior than ntr. Also if the regular user is that useless, then downgrading, using all the aspects of the cfw would be a step they cannot make, if they can downgrade, they can use a private header

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricks with gateway date far in 2014 I think, then you up the price of the card each post, first 60 then 80, I payed 50 dollars for mines in 2013 and 2014, you treat the regular user as a moron that has pentium 2 with USB 1.0, my sd card copies 16-20 me per second do it takes 200-240 seconds to copy a 3ds files, people know 3ds files as is are not safe and if they don't have a header they cannot even go online, you get banned for 2 weeks for using a public header that you need to inject yourself because most of the 3ds files don't have them in it, downloading and installing a cia takes far more time than getting a good sd adapter and copy it yourself with your header, gateway is behind cfw, yes in some aspects, but for the end user those things dont matter, you could have both worlds and be happy, I am happy because I still use 3dz with private headers and cheats with the gateway menu, those are pretty far superior than ntr. Also if the regular user is that useless, then downgrading, using all the aspects of the cfw would be a step they cannot make, if they can downgrade, they can use a private header
But the average user is a moron. At least on GBAtemp.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a Gateway card is dangerous, pointless, and unsafe
i've had mine for years and have not run into any issues. "pointless" in today's standards maybe (with how easy setting up cfw is), but how about a few years back when cfw literally didn't exist?

gateway feeds me updates > i use my gateway. until that stops, i see no reason to switch to cfw

also, uhh, why waste the energy getting mad about this in the first place? it's so much nicer to relax and say "well, they'll use what they want to use, and i'll use what i want to use"

Last edited by frogboy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...