Hacking (PSA) Stop the Gatehate

Froster

Your Music Producer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Did you even read the OP? It was meant to STOP the fighting.
I've read the entire op and what I read was some kind of hate on cfw 'cause "gateway started all this,stop hating them"and an indirect complaining about he bought it. So it's kinda the same I think. Complaining about being a buyer won't give you money back.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
buyer's remorse is one hell of a drug
I think it depends on when they bought it. If people are still buying Gateway now, then that's a mistake. But if like me they bought it long before open source CFW was available, well I got plenty of usage out of the thing and don't regret my purchase at all, but also recognise that the scene has moved on and I'd only be missing out if I didn't move on with it. To an extent, I understand people who are happy with what they have because it 'just works', but also feel that their complacency and willful ignorance is causing them to be left behind from all the major developments in the scene.

Reactions: ihaveahax

gohan127

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got many good experiences thanks to gateway. Maybe their time has come to an end, maybe not. But i certainly would not bash them. i still remember the good old days!
and gateway haters have always been here, remember how they came and went when SKY 3DS came out? I'm sure after some time passed they all wished they had bought a GW instead.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I got many good experiences thanks to gateway. Maybe their time has come to an end, maybe not. But i certainly would not bash them. i still remember the good old days!
and gateway haters have always been here, remember how they came and went when SKY 3DS came out? I'm sure after some time passed they all wished they had bought a GW instead.
Then more time passed, and they were glad they didnt?

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try again.
Installing: 10 - 15 minutes assuming you have a good internet connection.
Copying: Over 20 minutes since most people don't have good computers or MSD Card adapters.

Not to mention that installing it is safer, cheaper, and doesn't require access to a computer and SD Card adapter. You can also have a DS flashcard in your 3DS that would normally be taken up by your Gateway card, along with the second SD Card you have to buy for it.
that's too unreal.....
a 2GB rom shouldn't take that long.... trimmed is around 1.7 GB
a garbage card reader normally has a 4MB/s wrtiing speed. (that's around 8 mins)
generally, should be around 10MB/s (4 mins). good one can be #0MB/s

assuming you can download the 4GB 3ds rom at a 6MB/s, 12 mins. + decent writing speed sd card (30MB/s, 3 mins) = around 15 mins ideally

cdn installtion: limited I\O + an average downloading speed = around 20 mins. (duel to the limited I\O, downloading speed beyond a certain level won't make any difference on 3ds.)

consider all the factor, cdn seems better. Well, for money burner, 3ds is better.... (oh:ninja:, no.... money burner purchase the game, no needs to download:))

Reactions: Davidosky99

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Try again.
Installing: 10 - 15 minutes assuming you have a good internet connection.
Copying: Over 20 minutes since most people don't have good computers or MSD Card adapters.

Not to mention that installing it is safer, cheaper, and doesn't require access to a computer and SD Card adapter. You can also have a DS flashcard in your 3DS that would normally be taken up by your Gateway card, along with the second SD Card you have to buy for it.
Then you never seen a shitty internet connection before. And wifi is always slower than cable internet. And install it isn't safer, and you don't have to pay for .3DS either. It doesn't require Internet all the time either because I can store it on my phone/laptop/ect... and get them on the go. And I can use both the card with just one micro sd just fine. What do CFW have to play NDS? More FC? :lol

With things like Freeshop and CIAngel, this point doesn't work anymore. With either of those, you can download and install ORAS in maybe 10-15 minutes. I doubt the download speed from whatever shady site is hosting a .3ds file, coupled with time required to write the file to your SD card, beats either of those applications (And if it does, it's not by very much).

The only benefit to Gateway nowadays is cheat support and extended storage. That's literally it.

You still take my sweet 10-15 min while I can drag it from my computer to my sd card in like 1 min, or less. And If I need to uninstall it for space, 10-15 min again, and again, and again. Good thing I don't have to re-download my .3DS all the time.
over and over again.

Here in the USA, I just bought a 32GB microSD card for 12 dollars. With time, I expect flash memory to continue to drop. I honestly don't see why people complain about paying for flash memory, when a huge majority of users don't even buy their games. At least put that money towards the hardware.

Anyways, I like my Gateway for cheats. I will say this again. NTR Cheats would have probably eclipsed and leapt over GW's cheats, had NTR been an open-source project. Anyways, for being free, you can't complain, especially for non-GW users.

However, I am not blind to GW's shortcomings, like their horrible GW-A9LH. At this point, I just stay out of threads of GW users who tried installing GW-A9LH and it ended up horribly. Since I feel those GW users want to brick even though GW has said that only advance users should even be using their GW-A9LH Installer.

That is still 12$ for it, and throw away everything I got so far. Here in Vietnamese, I can buy a 2TB Mobile HDD that have all my game with me every where i go.

And to be fair, they did said it was beta testing (yeah, I know, just reason for their incomplete, soon™:lol:), but using Luma3DS with GW is possible so I don't think it that bad, like how you think NTR isn't that bad.

gohan127

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then more time passed, and they were glad they didnt?
I guess, the 10 game limit was funny to read about, sky then sold the new blue button sky which did not have the 10 game limit anymore and now they have the sky 3ds+ which is the 3th card now? gateway still works all the way back from hardware v1 the support iv'e gotten over the years for the product i bought all the way back in 2013 is really good considering the scene were in. on my NDS i was used to shorter support times, i still got 3 generations of NDS flashcarts lying around.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I guess, the 10 game limit was funny to read about, sky then sold the new blue button sky which did not have the 10 game limit anymore and now they have the sky 3ds+ which is the 3th card now? gateway still works all the way back from hardware v1 the support iv'e gotten over the years for the product i bought all the way back in 2013 is really good considering the scene were in. on my NDS i was used to shorter support times, i still got 3 generations of NDS flashcarts lying around.

I bought my 3DS fairly recent (a month ago) and ordered my N3ds online, and at the same time ordered a sky3ds+ online, by the time me sk3ds got here I was already on a9lh / cfw and havent had use for the sky3ds once, though I am still glad to have it in case I need an exploit to get into a future a9lh install on some other device. I certainly dont blame people who bought their card ages ago, and just want to keep using them until they no longer fulfil their needs, but to people saying how risky it is to downgrade and install the a9LH.. it really really isnt. SOME risk, of course, but very little.

Reactions: gohan127

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't post this shit on gbatemp forums. If you want to rant, make a blog post, make a video, hell, open a text editor and rant. if you want to make a change, don't add to the toxicity. This post will do nothing besides have people hate on you.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't understand why you're defending a flashcard that has the potential to destroy your 3ds when one certain file is edited in just the slightest, that could also mean if the launcher is corrupted even a little.
According to some hackers who reverse engineered it, it's highly unlikely the brick code will trigger from a corrupted file anymore. It was the case when they first added it, but after a couple reported bricks from GW users using the original launcher.dat they changed it and there have been no reported bricks from it from GW users since.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go back to your own site, stupid Gateway sales representative. Gateway cards are pieces of shit, along with their entire company. Whether the whole CFW community is just as shitty is a different discussion. Using a Gateway card is dangerous, pointless, and unsafe. Everything that Gateway does, CFW does 3 times better. While it may be true that they were around first, and there is nothing wrong with being grateful for that, they are just flat-out obsolete.
We wouldn't have 98% of the gateshark codes we have if it wasn't for gateway. The only reason I still use mine is for the cheat support. NTR isnt nearly as good and probably won't ever be. Until that day comes, don't be talking about CFW being 3x better at "everything."

EDIT: How is it unsafe? You must not have read OP. If you use the card the way it's meant to be used and don't use a knock off, then there's no way you'll brick. CFW is technically unsafe with your logic because you can brick due to user error as well as with Gateway.

Last edited by DarkFlare69,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't hate Gateway, I just find them disappointing and rather useless when there's just better options. I mean, I could spend upwards to 80$ on a flashcart that is extremely slow on the draw (took them months make a broken A9LH build) and still uses emuNAND's. Or I could just pay nothing and use a free CFW that uses cutting-edge software.
If they were a bit faster and caught up to the freeCFW market, they would be worth it. But how I see it, they just a reminder of the past.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a proud owner of a JapN3ds with A9HL/Luma3ds, As well as a USA Emunand and gateway. I use the USA Emunand as my primary, and I can boot into it with both normal boot, and gateway. I admit, I stopped downloading/using .3ds files a long time ago, but the gateway card has many alternative uses, for example, CHEATS! and LANGUAGE Emulation, Its fun and very useful, I really dont have any hate towards it and I use it quite a lot to cheat on games. I'm never selling my gateway.

NiggomBiggom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can't believe how fast this thread turned into flamebait. i'm not defending my purchase, i'm not saying gateway is obsolete, i'm not saying any of that. all of this dumb bickering is what i'm trying to combat against. no one read the damn op, so they feel entitled to instantly come to the reply section to shell out every snarky comment they can to shittalk gw owners. it's honestly just like i cited, toxicity.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can't believe how fast this thread turned into flamebait. i'm not defending my purchase, i'm not saying gateway is obsolete, i'm not saying any of that. all of this dumb bickering is what i'm trying to combat against. no one read the damn op, so they feel entitled to instantly come to the reply section to shell out every snarky comment they can to shittalk gw owners. it's honestly just like i cited, toxicity.
It's mostly people who have never used or even looked at a gateway saying most of this stuff and having their opinions based on what the previous person said

Reactions: gamesquest1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0