Hacking (PSA) Stop the Gatehate

Deleted member 386348

local death grips enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Waiting for the thread to be locked, because of how shitty the community is sometimes. Sure, Gateway is obsolete and the only use for it anymore is cheats, and .3ds support (even though .cia is safer but longer install). You don't need to be an asshole about it.

Leave your insults elsewhere, and leave gateway behind like CFW has. They're obsolete, stop shitting on them and move on.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, technically, you don't have the access to modify system titles in the Wii, so Nintendo isn't in the wrong.
What Sony did with some PS3's (an update caused some PS3's to completely stop booting) was entirely Sony's fault for not thoroughly testing their FW update

Reactions: ihaveahax

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a GW owner I understand why not to buy one now, but they are not terrible to have. Plus it's like having two SD card slots for games.

.....just don't use their A9LH right? Everything else is cool.

NiggomBiggom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting for the thread to be locked, because of how shitty the community is sometimes. Sure, Gateway is obsolete and the only use for it anymore is cheats, and .3ds support (even though .cia is safer but longer install). You don't need to be an asshole about it.

Leave your insults elsewhere, and leave gateway behind like CFW has. They're obsolete, stop shitting on them and move on.
i'd really rather it doesn't because the message i've laid out in the op is pretty good, and if it does get locked the thread will fizzle out. the people who have read the op seem to understand that i'm actually making valid points, whereas everyone else just wants to go out of their way to completely miss the point, be ignorant and preach their elitist thoughts in a thread that didn't ask for them. it's not what i want to deal with, but if that's the case then by all means, so be it.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With things like Freeshop and CIAngel, this point doesn't work anymore. With either of those, you can download and install ORAS in maybe 10-15 minutes. I doubt the download speed from whatever shady site is hosting a .3ds file
google drive and mega are shady sites now?
thats funny because I max my 85Mbps connection on them

coupled with time required to write the file to your SD card
what like 30 seconds?

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
outside .3DS loading the only other real use these dayswould be new "Primary" Exploits when the otherwise saidgame instantly Skyrockets to 200+$ like its doing on ebay/Amazon. *cough-freakyformsdelux* so to say cards like Gateway/Sky3DS are completly Useless/Obsolete today isnt completly true. Have i bought one? No Will i? Not Gateway but for the case of a backup method or for Exploiting a New 3DS should people haveto replace their existing ones?.. never hurts.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
outside .3DS loading the only other real use these dayswould be new "Primary" Exploits when the otherwise saidgame instantly Skyrockets to 200+$ like its doing on ebay/Amazon. *cough-freakyformsdelux* so to say cards like Gateway/Sky3DS are completly Useless/Obsolete today isnt completly true. Have i bought one? No Will i? Not Gateway but for the case of a backup method or for Exploiting a New 3DS should people haveto replace their existing ones?.. never hurts.
That only applies to a Sky3DS//Sky3DS+. Gateway won't work if you are not on 9.2.

NiggomBiggom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
about the whole bricking wiis thing. it's the same case as gw's. people import wiis from korea for cheap prices and region change them, rather than buying from a place where nintendo would make money. it affects sales, just like the supercard dstwo+. that's why they intentionally bricked anyone who used them. for those of you who didn't read the op:
System Menu 4.2E/U/J and higher call a new ES Ioctlv(0x45) which got added in IOS70. On older(check!) IOSs this Ioctlv always returns -1017.

IOS tries to encrypt a certain byte pattern with the Korean key and then compares it with hard coded values, if the result matches it returns 0 which will then trigger the error in the System Menu.

D

Deleted-379826

First off hate is never and should never be an option for ANYTHING. No one and I mean no one deserves hate. Hate is never good energy and never solves or helps anything. It destroys, DESTROYS. So yes OP is correct why all the gatehate there should never be ANY. What is okay though is opinions. Now we can all agree that as of today Gateway isn't the top notch thing people have or should pay for. Yes we can go on quite a bit like in the OP mentioning for example brick code. No one deserves to be hated upon, it was their choice and opinion. That's like saying you would shoot someone because they bought apples instead of bananas and you LOVE bananas and think it's better health wise. Which if you think about it is stupid as hell. So what is okay would be someone saying: "Hey you know Gateway isn't really too great anymore and you should maybe try the free options (insert facts and stuff here)" instead of: "HEY YOU WANNA GET SHOT OH YEAH I'LL COME FOR ¥OU IF YOU DON'T STOP USING GATEWAY!". So you can easily nicely give opinions which can really help them and influence them to become superior, IF THEY WANT. Instead of shoving things down a (usually noob's) throat! Your opinions aren't always right to everyone though which is okay. Basically you people need to learn to be nicer and you aren't always the smartest or right.:teach:

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you never seen a shitty internet connection before. And wifi is always slower than cable internet. And install it isn't safer, and you don't have to pay for .3DS either. It doesn't require Internet all the time either because I can store it on my phone/laptop/ect... and get them on the go. And I can use both the card with just one micro sd just fine. What do CFW have to play NDS? More FC? :lol
YES, IT IS SAFER! WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP SAYING THAT?! The average user does not know about private and public headers, and they will get banned online, simple as that. And you might not have to pay for the .3ds files themselves, but you do have to pay $80 for a Gateway card to play them. Whereas .cia files don't require any special hardware at all. With CFW, you don't have to carry around a Gateway card and additional SD Card with you at all times in order to play games. And what does Gateway have to play NDS games? Nothing! As apposed to CFW, which has that port of DSemume or whatever it's called and compatibility with almost any NDS flashcard, which you can get for less than $10, along with having your NDS games show up on your home menu. Just accept it. CFW is far superior to Gateway.

Reactions: alex61194

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We wouldn't have 98% of the gateshark codes we have if it wasn't for gateway. The only reason I still use mine is for the cheat support. NTR isnt nearly as good and probably won't ever be. Until that day comes, don't be talking about CFW being 3x better at "everything."

EDIT: How is it unsafe? You must not have read OP. If you use the card the way it's meant to be used and don't use a knock off, then there's no way you'll brick. CFW is technically unsafe with your logic because you can brick due to user error as well as with Gateway.
And we wouldn't have boats if it weren't for rafts. Does that mean you should cross the Mediterranean on a wooden raft? Of course not! Do what's easiest and most efficient! There have been a couple of reports of people who get bricked by Gateway for no reason. And you also don't have to worry about getting banned online for not knowing what public and private headers are.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You need to open it everytime to install new games yes.
I don't also like to install. Mayby a few but not all I want to play.
You need to open what to install new games? I dont think it works how you think it works. As far as not wanting to install games to your home menu? Fair enough I guess

NiggomBiggom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES, IT IS SAFER! WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP SAYING THAT?! The average user does not know about private and public headers, and they will get banned online, simple as that. And you might not have to pay for the .3ds files themselves, but you do have to pay $80 for a Gateway card to play them. Whereas .cia files don't require any special hardware at all. With CFW, you don't have to carry around a Gateway card and additional SD Card with you at all times in order to play games. And what does Gateway have to play NDS games? Nothing! As apposed to CFW, which has that port of DSemume or whatever it's called and compatibility with almost any NDS flashcard, which you can get for less than $10, along with having your NDS games show up on your home menu. Just accept it. CFW is far superior to Gateway.
i'm not sure if you understand how extremely easy it is to get a private header. all you need is literally one game to dump, extract the header and boom you're done. gateway provides a user manual, if you didn't know, and they have a self contained tool that they include in their releases. not to mention you can dump your cart with gateway's menu. you don't even need the card for it. there hasn't even been a case of a ban since spring of 2015, at that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...