Hacking (PSA) Stop the Gatehate

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Gateway isn't a game. I can know it has issues and is inferior to cfw without using it whereas a game is subjective. Please think.
i am thinking,did you tried the GW when it first released?
have you tried the cheat engine?
the simplicity of using .3DS games without installing and uninstalling?

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said no one should throw it away. I just don't see a problem with recommending people don't use it or buy it.

Reactions: gohan127 and aos10

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm,what?

Since when you need to buy and play a game to criticize it?

DOIOUv3.jpg
I love super paper Mario so much :D

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Sky3DS+ so I can sympathize with rom loading to an extent. but overtime, using things like tickets/freeshop/etc over loading roms has become easier and faster than just throwing roms onto a microsd card.

cheats sound good but they are hardly worth $80 for a card.

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
What I see most of the posts is that like 5 persons are flaming hate, what I would recommend of you make a post about gateway, just block the people that only says that gateway is shit, they will brick you ASAP, that cfw is superior, or that toss it and burn it(people really say it) because they won't contribute anything positive in your posts and probably you won't ever need those people, it's my opinion that this method will solve the flaming wars in the long run

Reactions: NekoMichi

gohan127

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i only replied to this treat to say thank you to the gateway team for the years of good support. it might be the end for them now, maybe. but as most people point out, all you read these days is gate hate.

Reactions: Swiftloke

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it was inevitable. So guys, every ninty handheld up to and including the DS have been flashcard land. Flashcard was the only way to go in "dumb" (BIOS only) handhelds, but with the 3DS, ninty also allowed digital version games for the handheld. That's new and revolutionary because if we take control of how the system decides to boot and install those titles (which we have) we are able to go independent from those flashcard companies. If you planned the purchase of a ninty handheld on behalf of piracy, usually you can find yourself looking at flashcard's prices. Since the Golden GBA times, the price on each flashcard has skyrocketed from about 15 EUR to an oustanding 85 EUR of the sky3ds+. That feels almost like a scam. Specially those times when you can just do it for free (as in free beer!).

Why to go independent you say? Mainly because you can. I always felt more clean a softmod (hack) than a hardmod (flashcard). Said this I think everyone has right to his own opinion and I do not condone gateway user's bashing.

NiggomBiggom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it was inevitable. So guys, every ninty handheld up to and including the DS have been flashcard land. Flashcard was the only way to go in "dumb" (BIOS only) handhelds, but with the 3DS, ninty also allowed digital version games for the handheld. That's new and revolutionary because if we take control of how the system decides to boot and install those titles (which we have) we are able to go independent from those flashcard companies. If you planned the purchase of a ninty handheld on behalf of piracy, usually you can find yourself looking at flashcard's prices. Since the Golden GBA times, the price on each flashcard has skyrocketed from about 15 EUR to an oustanding 85 EUR of the sky3ds+. That feels almost like a scam. Specially those times when you can just do it for free (as in free beer!).

Why to go independent you say? Mainly because you can. I always felt more clean a softmod (hack) than a hardmod (flashcard). Said this I think everyone has right to his own opinion and I do not condone gateway user's bashing.
i understand, i don''t care whether people like or dislike gw, the problem was the circlejerking, really. this is a great example of a non hate-filled opinion.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Gateway IS obsolete, and Gateway deserves the hate it gets. And their implementation of A9LH is garbage. I mean, write-protect the NAND if NATIVE_FIRM isn't running? Essentially, GW-A9LH ties you down to Gateway. if you lose/break your cart, guess what happens?...

Pretty sure a hardmod can't write to a write-protected device.

Reactions: Lumince

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway is easier for me to use, which is why I still use it. I'd rather not wait to have to install a game for me or the little ones to play. I haven't been following all of the news with A9HL and stuff, but as of right now, Gateway is more convenient for me.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway is easier for me to use, which is why I still use it. I'd rather not wait to have to install a game for me or the little ones to play. I haven't been following all of the news with A9HL and stuff, but as of right now, Gateway is more convenient for me.
I relate to this. It's also faster to load a rom onto my gateway than install a CIA in any shape or form. Gateway is crazy convenient for this reason.

Still no reason to buy one in the current generation of exploits, but if you already have one no need to ditch it.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The only advantage I see in Gatewait is the use of .3ds and .3dz ROMs, but even then, the Sky3DS does it for your backups . Honestly - CIAs are much more convenient - you don't need to take ANY carts with you.

IAmLeggings

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway once had a place, but that time is far gone. Especially with the new FBI and ciangel, you can't even make the claim of "oh but .3ds is easier hurrrrr", because it's not, it's much more time consuming without even considering patching the header. I'm not gonna flame on brickcode, because it's their code, they can do what they want. But there is no reason to run gateway anymore, it's obsolete and should be treated as such.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway IS obsolete, and Gateway deserves the hate it gets. And their implementation of A9LH is garbage. I mean, write-protect the NAND if NATIVE_FIRM isn't running? Essentially, GW-A9LH ties you down to Gateway. if you lose/break your cart, guess what happens?...

Pretty sure a hardmod can't write to a write-protected device.
Who ever said it wasn't though? Did you read the op? He even addressed the A9LH implementation. op's purpose wasn't to preach the mighty words of Gateway or sell their product, it cleared up many misconceptions for people who don't use Gateway, and it had reasons why people should stop circlejerking.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To each their own, if I had paid for a gw I would use it too. They use their gw and we use cfw.
Who the f***'s business is it of mine to hate on what someone else uses? I'm happy on 11.0 sysnand a9lh+luma cfw...but if some other joe wants to use gw...what do I care? My 3ds, 2ds, and n3dsxl are my only business. Keep your nose out of other people's.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Who ever said it wasn't though? Did you read the op? He even addressed the A9LH implementation. op's purpose wasn't to preach the mighty words of Gateway or sell their product, it cleared up many misconceptions for people who don't use Gateway, and it had reasons why people should stop circlejerking.
They brought it upon themselves.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I actually have legitimate criticism. They are extremely slow on the draw and still tend to hold onto older ideas like emuNANDs. It took them months to build something free CFW users had the entire time. And that lack of CFW sysNAND really sucks.
This is something that honestly can't be avoided when talking about Gateway. I mean they do have great features like .3ds support and cheats, but those long waits between updates and lagging behind in features is a legitimate complaint.

Still, we can all take time to remember one thing. At least Gateway tries, unlike the Supercard Team. First their card just lazily stole community plugins, then they lazily slapped on a Gateway feature. After that, they straight up stole ReiNAND, made it closed-source, and made it shit.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1