XP
Country
Canada

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well more like, damn wtf my local drug dealer told me to go steal drugs from a different dealer as he had none of his own, and the bastard who i was taking from beat me up, what a bastard i only wanted to take his stuff without paying him, its not my fault my dealer told me to go take it and pay him for the privilege , and its not my dealers fault for trying to make me take it, its the guy defending his stuff.....how dare he

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: porkiewpyne

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well more like, damn wtf my local drug dealer told me to go steal drugs from a different dealer as he had none of his own, and the bastard who i was taking from beat me up, what a bastard i only wanted to take his stuff without paying him, its not my fault my dealer told me to go take it and pay him for the privilege , and its not my dealers fault for trying to make me take it, its the guy defending his stuff.....how dare he

Its kind of like that,except that some people have no idea that DStwo can brick their system.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Its kind of like that,except that some people have no idea that DStwo can brick their system.
yeah well that's the point yeah gateway are shitty for beating people up and sure they could have just said "excuse me mate stop trying to take my drugs", but supercard shouldn't be sending them to take someone elses code when they have no idea what sort of protection is in place....well actually supercard did already have a good idea of what gateway does to people trying to take their FW as their own, so they willingly sent their users to get beat up, its nice to see how little they respect their users

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah well that's the point yeah gateway are shitty for beating people up and sure they could have just said "excuse me mate stop trying to take my drugs", but supercard shouldn't be sending them to take someone elses code when they have no idea what sort of protection is in place....well actually supercard did already have a good idea of what gateway does to people trying to take their FW as their own, so they willingly sent their users to get beat up, its nice to see how little they respect their users

I just can't fathom giving money to a sketchy company that bricks cards. Was this ever done with DS cards?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I just can't fathom giving money to a sketchy company that bricks cards. Was this ever done with DS cards?
well there was flashcard bricking, and console bricking with fake game releases, but not flashcards bricking consoles for using clones

iirc there was a similar thing in the PSP scene though with people repacking CFW's as their own, but that had a secret recovery mode and was mainly just a scare tactic to scare off the guys making copy CFW to garner donations for someone elses work, that was actually kinda funny iirc you had to make a file on your memory stick that said something like psphacks.com-are-theiving-scumbags.txt or something along those lines to recover your console

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SC team updated their download page and told people on their forum not to use 1.04 with GW 3.5.1. Guess it is legit. I haven't had a brick though. And since I own a Gateway, I don't feel the least bit guilty. The stuff DSTwo+ can do in DS mode rocks! Yes, even better than the original DSTwo.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Except the fact that they explicitly warned people about it. It's just that some people chose not to listen. At least during the first brick wave, you could somewhat excuse them for not knowing but this time, all the cards are laid out on the table and a conscious decision was made.

Reactions: Exavold

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except the fact that they explicitly warned people about it. It's just that some people chose not to listen. At least during the first brick wave, you could somewhat excuse them for not knowing but this time, all the cards are laid out on the table and a conscious decision was made.
Not everyone that bought the card is a gbatemp member.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not everyone that bought the card is a gbatemp member.
That is beside the point. If they did do any form of research, something will crop up and they'd most likely end up here anyway. If one does not want to do research prior to a purchase, then there is nothing else that can be done.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is beside the point. If they did do any form of research, something will crop up and they'd most likely end up here anyway. If one does not want to do research prior to a purchase, then there is nothing else that can be done.

What you are saying sounds preposterous. When I buy a product from a store I just use it and think nothing of it. You are justifying people losing destroying other people's property. I personally don't care since I use CFW,but I do think it is absurd what some of the people here are saying. Imagine if a grandpa bought this for his grandson.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What you are saying sounds preposterous. When I buy a product from a store I just use it and think nothing of it. You are justifying people losing destroying other people's property. I personally don't care since I use CFW,but I do think it is absurd what some of the people here are saying. Imagine if a grandpa bought this for his grandson.
Sure, if it's something that anyone and their grandmothers can find at every corner of the street. Flashcarts aren't quite like that. Hell, if good ol' gramps knows about this sort of slightly shady market AND manage to purchase something online, then he can surely use google if nothing else, no?

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, if it's something that anyone and their grandmothers can find at every corner of the street. Flashcarts aren't quite like that. Hell, if good ol' gramps knows about this sort of slightly shady market AND manage to purchase something online, then he can surely use google if nothing else, no?

He could but it's unlikely he would. Who's going to assume what they are buying is faulty? I think it would be a lot more reasonable if they only bricked the flashcart and not the 3ds.

Powermad80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ultimately I understand Gateway's actions, swinging the brick-hammer to crush the copycats, but I still think it's really dumb to be so harsh. It's like was said earlier in the thread, you aren't winning customers by destroying their device. All ethics aside it's just bad business when you could opt to just block the clone from working without damaging the system and potentially have a new customer. Same end goal is accomplished but with the removal of collateral damage. Whether it's just a block or a brick, the end result for the clones are all the same - people don't use them anymore since they don't work.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@funnystory: You are missing my point. It's never about assuming your product is faulty. It's about making an informed decision. How many people will simply go into a store and buy something like a phone or other tech items on a whim? Knowing nothing about the thing you are about to purchase? In this day and age, we have reviews for almost every single thing. Restaurants have Yelp!. Apps have it on their pages in the appstores. Youtube videos have their own rating system (albeit not perfect but I digress). There is nothing else manufacturers can do short of advertising the weaknesses of their products on TV etc and even then, somebody will cry because they claimed to not have seen it and what not. That's like me whining about holidaying in North Korea or Syria because it turned out to be a hellhole.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you need to go to Gateway's page in order to download their launcher.dat? Gateway warned everyone. Not just GBATemp. The consumer is at fault for not completely reading the article.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1