PSA: Don't use vinyl skins with your Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    C6BCRpOWMAAY675.png

The Nintendo Switch is finally out, and players are having a blast with their new console. There's tons of new things to find out, as with any new system. However, some of those things aren't always good, as it seems that using vinyl skins for your Nintendo Switch can cause a lot of issues. Maufactorer "dbrand" has made an announcement: Do not use any sort of cover for your Switch at this time. They tested one of their vinyl skins on a unit, only to find that after removing the skin, the plastic from the Switch raises up and becomes warped and damaged. The company states that any adhesive-based cover for the Switch is dangerous, and will damage your console's appearance. If you purchased a skin from dbrand, they will be cancelling all orders, and refunding customers in full.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: Discussion Thread

In terms of other cosmetic related Switch news, be wary of docking your system, as you can really scratch it up that way, according to Glixel, and other users.

Last edited by Chary, Mar 4, 2017
    TCJJ, CatmanFan, maorninja and 14 others like this.

2. XxShalevElimelechxX

XxShalevElimelechxX GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Wow, this is just messed up... :P

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    Nice to see Dbrand is an honest company...
    They should cancel all the orders but let users purchase with knowledge about the issue, some people don't mind the damage to the joycons and don't plan to remove the skins...

But seriously, really nice they made this announcement and didn't just sell the stock they had..

kbmarinha, Kourin, maorninja and 10 others like this.
  4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
  5. Exavold

Exavold lol

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    lol
    Last edited by Exavold, Mar 4, 2017
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I knew that the plastics are dodgy the moment I picked up the system - something doesn't feel right about them.
    So that users see it and don't wreck their brand new consoles.

7. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Imacaredformy2ds and Exavold like this.
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Don't feel bad about trying to help, just treat this as an announcement and link to the discussion threads.

Subtle Demise, Chary and Exavold like this.
  9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  10. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Just bought a screen protector this morning 6£ from asda. Was gonna get a Hori one but they are 20£ lol and after getting one for my Vita I wasn't impressed at how thin they are.

Super lame though that Nintendos own shit can scratch the console. It's baffling design choices.

11. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I think it has a nice antique-ish "weathered technology" look to it. Nintendo should just sell them like that :P
    They had to keep the 3ds screen scratching tradition going.

HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  12. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Apparently the Hori don't stay on. When docked in, the heat is peeling the screen protector off.

cvskid and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  13. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Utterly fantastic. Was there no product testing until AFTER the console launch?

14. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    People are saying the officially licensed products by Nintendo themselves don't harm the product. I am using my PDP BotW screen protector, dock skin and joycon skin. Everything seems fine.

I've seen someone else say the dock gets hot on their Nintendo Switch. Does anyone elses dock get hot?

15. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Seems Nintendo didn't learn from the 3DS when it comes to scratching the displays.

Another thing is that I don't get it that people put vinyl skins on their controllers/joycons in this case.
    On the dock/console, okay, I get that, but the controller part...
    It fades away with time, leaving ugly smudges n what not!

cvskid and zoogie like this.
  16. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    I heard somewhere that the problem was actually with the type of glue dbrand use,because there was no problems with some other brands

17. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Are decal girls vinyl?

18. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    How hot does it get?

Or the other brands aren't reporting on it because they don't wanna lose customers.

Last edited by dimmidice, Mar 4, 2017
    HaloEliteLegend and maorninja like this.
  19. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Dunno, don't have a Switch.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Anyone pulled a switch apart to see if the mould markings reveal a type of plastic, or if the thing has some kind of odd overmould on it? I did not notice anything when I played with it during the demo beyond the texture of the stick. Some have said the plastic feels odd so it could well be something other than the usual HDPE or ABS we see in consumer goods*, and various adhesives and solvents do play differently with different plastics (try using superglue on clear acrylic/perspex/plexiglass). Surface roughness, crazing and the things described very much being an option if the adhesive bonds, or I suppose welds is a more accurate term, and is subsequently mechanically removed.

*step 17 on https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263 says PC-ABS aka polycarbonate-abs blend (not sure if the F stuff before refers to some glass fibre/ball reinforcement, you tend to see that more in higher end tools but it would not be entirely out of place for a controller subject to abuse) but that is one of the controllers rather than the body. Polycarbonate can be harder to join with some of the more conventional glues. Step 13 might have something on the side panel (also PC-ABS) but I am not sure if that is a separate component.

I held one on the demo in London (presumably having been on for a while by this point) and the back was hotter than some "gaming" laptops I have played with -- the fan and heatsink arrangement is not for show.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.