PSA: Don't use vinyl skins with your Nintendo Switch

C6BCRpOWMAAY675.png

The Nintendo Switch is finally out, and players are having a blast with their new console. There's tons of new things to find out, as with any new system. However, some of those things aren't always good, as it seems that using vinyl skins for your Nintendo Switch can cause a lot of issues. Maufactorer "dbrand" has made an announcement: Do not use any sort of cover for your Switch at this time. They tested one of their vinyl skins on a unit, only to find that after removing the skin, the plastic from the Switch raises up and becomes warped and damaged. The company states that any adhesive-based cover for the Switch is dangerous, and will damage your console's appearance. If you purchased a skin from dbrand, they will be cancelling all orders, and refunding customers in full.

As for anyone who pre-ordered a Switch skin, we’ll be refunding your order in full over the next 72 hours. Upon execution, you can expect an email from our customer service robots confirming that the refund has been processed. If you pre-ordered a Switch skin alongside other item(s), you’ll receive a refund for only the Switch portion and the remaining pieces will ship normally.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Discussion Thread

In terms of other cosmetic related Switch news, be wary of docking your system, as you can really scratch it up that way, according to Glixel, and other users.

Last edited by Chary,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Nice to see Dbrand is an honest company...
They should cancel all the orders but let users purchase with knowledge about the issue, some people don't mind the damage to the joycons and don't plan to remove the skins...

But seriously, really nice they made this announcement and didn't just sell the stock they had..

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: Subtle Demise

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Just bought a screen protector this morning 6£ from asda. Was gonna get a Hori one but they are 20£ lol and after getting one for my Vita I wasn't impressed at how thin they are.

Super lame though that Nintendos own shit can scratch the console. It's baffling design choices.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I think it has a nice antique-ish "weathered technology" look to it. Nintendo should just sell them like that :P
Just bought a screen protector this morning 6£ from asda. Was gonna get a Hori one but they are 20£ lol and after getting one for my Vita I wasn't impressed at how thin they are.

Super lame though that Nintendos own shit can scratch the console. It's baffling.
They had to keep the 3ds screen scratching tradition going.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Super lame though that Nintendos own shit can scratch the console. It's baffling design choices.

Apparently the Hori don't stay on. When docked in, the heat is peeling the screen protector off.

DarkenedMatter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are saying the officially licensed products by Nintendo themselves don't harm the product. I am using my PDP BotW screen protector, dock skin and joycon skin. Everything seems fine.

I've seen someone else say the dock gets hot on their Nintendo Switch. Does anyone elses dock get hot?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seems Nintendo didn't learn from the 3DS when it comes to scratching the displays.

Another thing is that I don't get it that people put vinyl skins on their controllers/joycons in this case.
On the dock/console, okay, I get that, but the controller part...
It fades away with time, leaving ugly smudges n what not!

Reactions: cvskid and zoogie

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I heard somewhere that the problem was actually with the type of glue dbrand use,because there was no problems with some other brands

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Apparently the Hori don't stay on. When docked in, the heat is peeling the screen protector off.
How hot does it get?

I heard somewhere that the problem was actually with the type of glue dbrand use,because there was no problems with some other brands
Or the other brands aren't reporting on it because they don't wanna lose customers.

Last edited by dimmidice,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone pulled a switch apart to see if the mould markings reveal a type of plastic, or if the thing has some kind of odd overmould on it? I did not notice anything when I played with it during the demo beyond the texture of the stick. Some have said the plastic feels odd so it could well be something other than the usual HDPE or ABS we see in consumer goods*, and various adhesives and solvents do play differently with different plastics (try using superglue on clear acrylic/perspex/plexiglass). Surface roughness, crazing and the things described very much being an option if the adhesive bonds, or I suppose welds is a more accurate term, and is subsequently mechanically removed.

*step 17 on https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263 says PC-ABS aka polycarbonate-abs blend (not sure if the F stuff before refers to some glass fibre/ball reinforcement, you tend to see that more in higher end tools but it would not be entirely out of place for a controller subject to abuse) but that is one of the controllers rather than the body. Polycarbonate can be harder to join with some of the more conventional glues. Step 13 might have something on the side panel (also PC-ABS) but I am not sure if that is a separate component.

How hot does it get?

I held one on the demo in London (presumably having been on for a while by this point) and the back was hotter than some "gaming" laptops I have played with -- the fan and heatsink arrangement is not for show.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1