PSA: Brickers Abound

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    At the very least that's what it's supposed to do, but I additionally spoilered it now as well. Nothing we can really do about it, the word will spread either way, but I won't give them the satisfaction of mentioning them by name.

2. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Ironically, this breathes new life into the Wii.

3. hamohamo
    This message by hamohamo has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Sep 2, 2019, Reason: That's a bit extreme.
    Sep 2, 2019
  4. AceX

AceX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Ikr, I also don't understand why they'd warn people.
    [​IMG]

Ushiara, Forgotten_Email and Zense like this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Sshh, don't give them ideas...

6. Forgotten_Email

Forgotten_Email Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Manchester, England
    I still don't get why people do this (unless they're stealing keys or something so they can bypass bans). It's pointless and all you do is get yourself a horrible reputation.

DinohScene likes this.
  7. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    I'm pretty sure I've encountered some open-source malware on Github. Just because it's on Github, doesn't mean it's safe.

8. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    That's why I said official (official repository).

9. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    They warn people to create fear confusion and or misdirection its no different than when the Irish Republican Army used to plant bombs then phone the police 15 mins before the bomb went off.

They would say something like we have placed a bomb in Trafalgar Square you have 15 minutes.

This would create instant fear and panic/confusion as the police scrambled to clear out the place the bomb was planted.

75% of the time the bomb would be in the place they said. And 25% of the time it would be somewhere else (thus the misdirection)

I can easily see them talking about attacking the Wii and bam they realese shit that bricks the Switch cause everyone is completely focused on the fact they said they were going after the Wii.

Bottom line be very careful over the next few days/weeks whatever system you are downloading homebrew for

10. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Now that's a waste of time

11. bodefuceta

bodefuceta GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    Brazil
    I wonder if there are any curated lists of wii homebrew.

12. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    We also suspect that there might be some misdirection going on, which is why we strongly advise using common sense and good judgement when installing Homebrew on *any* system. If it doesn't seem right, don't risk it. :)

Subtle Demise and AmandaRose like this.
  13. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    Totally what I'm thinking. They are aiming anything else but the Wii, cause is dead. They most likely would be interested in a recent system, and one well documented, so 3DS and/or Vita aren't out of the scope.

AmandaRose and BLsquared like this.
  14. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    who's still putting new files into their wii's? my wiiu's is already golden. I guess this could affect somebody just starting out in the wii scene lol.
    Still, it just sounds like some troll seeking attention.

15. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    The United States of America
    @Foxi4 Thank you for your amazing service in bringing this to light. This does sound a little..off, though, as other have said.
    From my experience, I'm sure you'll be able to dig something up on what's going on. I'm just glad I haven't added any new homebrew to my Wii in years.
    My 3DS, however... I really hope that's not the real target.
    Wait.
    Those are all features the 3DS also has, right? And it's a bit more popular right now.
    Hmm.

Dartz150 likes this.
  16. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    For those who develop homebrew/programs: It is possible to make a sort of timebomb that triggers a brick code at an specific date? If so, is possible it could be hidden on an already existing homebrew?

Just imagine an specific fork of Luma 3DS having such thing. Oh my.

17. BLsquared

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    And didn't the 3DS CFWs just go through a wave of updates within the past few months?

18. |<roni&g

|<roni&g GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    United States
    UK
    Lol sad morons, sad sad sad. They will never get into my Wii n that’s a fact jack.

19. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    Yeah, also, a lot of users have cutsom forks from other people, for example, the Majora's Mask restoration project uses a Luma fork that supports BPS/IPS patches (I have that installed), and I think that a well known Mario Kart 7 Hack uses the same.

Anyway, the source for those is public, so anyone could spot something fishy just by looking at it... but I don't know how many people drops by to read someone elses code on github and try to verify if anything weird is going on.

BLsquared likes this.
  20. BLsquared

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    Honestly, we need to figure out their motive for this. Because this could be a member that contributed the changes as a hidden attack.
    But until we have evidence, we're just hypothesizing and freaking over possibly nothing...maybe

Dartz150 likes this.
  21. Larsenv

Larsenv Dr. Wii, Ph.D

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    DFW
    I have known about this before this PSA was posted, since I've been involved in the Wii scene. (In November, it'll have been 7 years since I started. Wow!)

As far as we know, it's one idiot doing this for attention. It started when he linked a fake Pong game in a Discord server that in reality corrupts your Wii Menu. We have no idea who this guy really is, he seems to be using a throwaway account. We have reported his GitHub and taken steps on Discord to make sure this isn't spread.

Thankfully, there have been no reports of someone's actual Wii being bricked. If it was bricked, then you might lose your save files and Miis without a backup, but you can buy a new one for as low as $30 on eBay.

Last edited by Larsenv, Sep 2, 2019
  22. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'll be sure to keep my eye out on the Wii forums on September 7th. I doubt that this is actually real and it's just trolls looking to get a reaction.

If that's the case then they've certainly done a good job looking at the thread.