PSA: Brickers Abound

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Sep 2, 2019.

1. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Verify wiibrew edits
    Only source anything from there outside of what already exists

That's basically all you'd have to do in terms of mitigating something like this. There's probably like 6 teenagers that are bored enough to waste time attempting anything significant with this, the public release would amount to Discord trolls, again, with literally nothing else to do.

If you're trying to mass brick a bunch of consoles, try making it for something that's in active development and not a $20 box that any person with half a brain has been able to mod for the entire decade. You'd at least have some credibility as a fuckstick, not just a fuckstick.

EDIT: You're only keeping this private for 1 week? Come on guys, gotta be more confident than that :D

Last edited by lisreal2401, Sep 2, 2019
    Forgotten_Email likes this.
  2. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    As I said, these people have released malware before, so we have to treat any threat they make seriously, particularly when they're aimed against our community specifically. It doesn't hurt to be safe - verifying before installing should be normal practice anyway. We don't want to spread any form of panic, but you can't be too careful, can you?

3. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    It is not only the bricking Thing....

FEAR is the weapon put on by these people.

To achieve:

All are unsure,nobody does not longer have the confidence in Modding their Wii´s...
    This kind of...:(

IncredulousP likes this.
  4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Edgy kids.
    Parents should've slapped more sense into them, their parents should've slapped more sense into their parents.

gamesquest1 and IncredulousP like this.
  5. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    That's hilarious, have they not heard of audiophile for example? The phile part means love. The phile in pedophile is also love/attraction, pedo is child, child-love. :rofl2:

Zense, duwen and KiiWii like this.
  6. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    It's weird.

That DS bricker was literally nuked off the Internet for years, but resurfaced once bricking stuff = fun...

god dammit

7. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't necessarily condone completely nuking these things because there's often a lot to be learned from them, they should simply be kept in containment by responsible parties. In the case of closely-knit communities like the Homebrew community stuff like this gets universally snuffed out pretty quickly. That's admirable, to be sure - people look out for each other.

Benja81 likes this.
  8. Elemi

Elemi Cute and wholesome~

Feb 29, 2012
    United Kingdom
    L o c a t e d
    Ok, so now the Wii homebrew scene is akin to going to illegal raves and dropping random pills a stranger is selling, could be ecstacy, or could be the last pill you ever take.

Cool, might as well call it all gurnbrew.

Broduskii and Blake5100 like this.
  9. Gimzie

Gimzie professional moron

Aug 6, 2016
    United States
    gonna have to put up some wii memorials for this one

really though, as serious as these malware shenanigans are, the way this post is written sounds like a textbook villain of a movie/video game, it's almost hilarious.

Zense likes this.
  10. Nimrod-002

Nimrod-002 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    Morocco
    oh no, next they will be coming after my gameboys

Exists, Victorum, tangotnt and 7 others like this.
  11. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Their approach certainly sounds like a plot by Dick Dastardly. It's almost cartoonish, I don't understand why their group would "hype things up" like this besides the obvious intention of spreading terror. Now, we're not particularly terrified - we trust our users will heed the warning and won't install any odd binaries they got from a guy in a trench coat behind the dumpsters.

Victorum and CallmeBerto like this.
  12. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    You're underestimating the userbase...

In all honesty, the users with some know how will stay away from it, it's the noobies that will come flooding in.

13. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Okay, I’m not a developer. Nevertheless: Bricking a Wii to a point where only restoring a NAND backup with something like an Infectus/NAND programmer can help seems plausible to me. I hate something like that.

Posting this warning on the front page is a good thing
    . But it’s also giving those idiots their five minutes of fame.

If any of those malware authors reads this: I feel bad for you! If you feel the necessity of spreading FUD and/or malware you must have a miserable live.

14. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    On the bright side, most of us are not so quick to getting homebrew as soon as they release. If there's something up with one, there will be comments, which is why you always check the comments first if there is any. It sounds wrong, but there will most likely be someone who takes the fall first. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I specifically don't use any names in the post, the Google bot also ignores text in quotation tags, so I'm giving them zero publicity, since I know that's precisely what they desire. They're not getting it from us, their SEO will gain nothing from our little PSA, it's aimed to warn our users only. :)

MarKSlasH, Zense, Treeko and 2 others like this.
  16. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    I have a weird feeling that they used the Wii references as disguise, so be careful with any new homebrew (whatever the platform) that surfaces after the 7th, I bet my pocket's money that it will be aimed to the switch scene.

Victorum and Zense like this.
  17. Gimzie

Gimzie professional moron

Aug 6, 2016
    United States
    wii terrorism is something fierce, ey?

18. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    I cannot believe what I am reading. the darkside of homebrew?

alexander1970 likes this.
  19. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    That's very good! Thank you for the explanation.

20. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    It's almost like a catch-22. You want to let people know so they avoid it and deal wisely, but if you do, you also have the unwanted effect of publicizing them.
    EDIT: frickin' ninjas man

I would argue and say that it's good for the newer users at the least.

Last edited by Kyouken, Sep 2, 2019