PS4 Code Execution + Basic Homebrew

amdKr4W.jpg

A few weeks ago, around the 19th of August, a developer known as CTurt managed to run unsigned code on his PS4 by using the Webkit exploit which was patched after 1.76. A couple weeks later, he announced that he managed to create the "first" PS4 homebrew: A version of Pong. Controlled by a Nintendo DS:

On release, CTurt mentions a few things about his basic homebrew. First, he's using a Nintendo DS because developers currently "can’t use the official controller library”. Secondly, the homebrew itself is being rendered in an HTML5 canvas, since developers have no access to PS4 rendering routines, which somewhat limits the current possibilities of this hack. He also announced he was working on getting a homebrew loader started as well, so others might enjoy his basic software. That is, if they've kept their PS4 on 1.76 or lower.

Pretty good first step in the PS4 world of hacking, right?

But that's not all folks, because a few days ago, CTurt has again announced and released another basic PS4 homebrew: A port of his own Gameboy emulator, Cinoop. Similar to his Pong release, this emulator runs through an HTML5 canvas and requires a Nintendo DS to control, but it's still quite impressive nonetheless.

As of now, the workings of the webkit exploit and the homebrew apps are limited to developers and very experienced users, and of course anyone above firmware 1.76 can't use the webkit exploit required, it's definitely nice to see something as "new" as the PS4 receiving some attention in the homebrew department already.

:arrow:Code Execution Source
:arrow:Pong Source
:arrow:Gameboy Emulator Source

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! I'm going to have to disable automatic updates on my PS4 then. :) I would LOVE to have CFW with FW Spoofing on this thing within the next few years! It's gonna suck when I can't play online when updates come out though before such a thing exists. :/

I did see this on Wololo a week back, though. The firmware requirement is uncomfortably low. :( Though it's really not any use to consumers right now.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow, the PS4 hacked? I thought that could never happen with this tight security today.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good work on achieving this.
Too bad that it's limited to canvas and that it's on a very low firmware version when it was announced compare to current one. Not a lot of users might still be on 1.76.

Good luck on your future projects :)

Reactions: VinsCool

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
and why is that??

Quit being very naive:rolleyes:. I'm taking the piss you fool, the PS3 hasn't been fully cracked and that is coming up to 10 years of its lifespan and CFW is only on 3.55 firmware based models and anything above that is ODE.

Don't expect anything PS4 related at all for a very, very long time and this homebrew proves nothing related to playing backups at some point.

Reactions: shaunj66
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quit being very naive:rolleyes:. I'm taking the piss you fool, the PS3 hasn't been fully cracked and that is coming up to 10 years of its lifespan and CFW is only on 3.55 firmware based models and anything above that is ODE.

Don't expect anything PS4 related at all for a very, very long time and this homebrew proves nothing related to playing backups at some point.
Honestly, the ps3 is blown wide open. More so than the 360, which is older, but still requires a good investment of time and money.

Sony may have patched any exploits out of later OFWs, but the fact is they can never release a firmware that can't be decrypted and made into a CFW. If there was enough interest, all it would take is another leaked service mode dongle and all ps3 systems would be "hackable" again.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Honestly, the ps3 is blown wide open. More so than the 360, which is older, but still requires a good investment of time and money.

Sony may have patched any exploits out of later OFWs, but the fact is they can never release a firmware that can't be decrypted and made into a CFW. If there was enough interest, all it would take is another leaked service mode dongle and all ps3 systems would be "hackable" again.

Each to their own, yet I wouldn't say it's wide open than a 360. Having to find an exploitable version, model and base firmware of 3.55 or lower is getting harder to find.

Yeah, it's all fine and dandy releasing the latest decrypted firmware, yet you still need a 3.55 installed version in order to use it. If you could buy any PS3 console now and not worry about it being on a lower firmware and still flash any CFW, then I'd say it was blown wide open.

Reactions: VinsCool and pelago
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Each to their own, yet I wouldn't say it's wide open than a 360. Having to find an exploitable version, model and base firmware of 3.55 or lower is getting harder to find.

Yeah, it's all fine and dandy releasing the latest decrypted firmware, yet you still need a 3.55 installed version in order to use it. If you could buy any PS3 console now and not worry about it being on a lower firmware and still flash any CFW, then I'd say it was blown wide open.
True, but the only thing more open is the Wii, and that's because they weren't really trying.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wait for the optional dev kit update to roll out, then do w/e you want :P. I imagine the development stuff will run in some sort of sandbox to keep people from accessing the full One hardware, but that would certainly be a good starting point :P. Execute code and try to develop an exploit to escape said sandbox and gain access to other stuff :P

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16