PS4 Code Execution + Basic Homebrew

amdKr4W.jpg

A few weeks ago, around the 19th of August, a developer known as CTurt managed to run unsigned code on his PS4 by using the Webkit exploit which was patched after 1.76. A couple weeks later, he announced that he managed to create the "first" PS4 homebrew: A version of Pong. Controlled by a Nintendo DS:

On release, CTurt mentions a few things about his basic homebrew. First, he's using a Nintendo DS because developers currently "can’t use the official controller library”. Secondly, the homebrew itself is being rendered in an HTML5 canvas, since developers have no access to PS4 rendering routines, which somewhat limits the current possibilities of this hack. He also announced he was working on getting a homebrew loader started as well, so others might enjoy his basic software. That is, if they've kept their PS4 on 1.76 or lower.

Pretty good first step in the PS4 world of hacking, right?

But that's not all folks, because a few days ago, CTurt has again announced and released another basic PS4 homebrew: A port of his own Gameboy emulator, Cinoop. Similar to his Pong release, this emulator runs through an HTML5 canvas and requires a Nintendo DS to control, but it's still quite impressive nonetheless.

As of now, the workings of the webkit exploit and the homebrew apps are limited to developers and very experienced users, and of course anyone above firmware 1.76 can't use the webkit exploit required, it's definitely nice to see something as "new" as the PS4 receiving some attention in the homebrew department already.

:arrow:Code Execution Source
:arrow:Pong Source
:arrow:Gameboy Emulator Source

Moraduke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really hoping with the recent fail0verflow/Linux breakthrough that the PS4 gets hacked wide open this year like the PS3 eventually did. I know it will happen eventually with 30+ million systems out there.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on