PS4 9.00 Stuck in Safe Mode

MH83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been messing with this for the last 2 days and want to make sure I'm not missing anything simple before I break open my PS4. I've tried searching around but I don't see any other threads with this problem that weren't fixed by things I've already tried.

I'm on a model CUH-115A PS4, running OFW 9.00. I was able to successfully apply the jailbreak, run an fpkg I already had, and dump a few games, convert to fpkg and play these as well.
I was in the process of dumping another game using the dumper on karo host and I noticed an notification for 'Not enough system memory'. I dismissed the note and the process seemed to continue just fine. Sometime later I noticed the PS4 was frozen. I removed the USB I was dumping to and my PC showed it had completed the dump. I can't remember if holding the power button down shut it off or if I had to unplug. When I tried to turn it back on it ran the file system check and then rebooted to Safe Mode saying 'cannot start the PS4, connect DualShock' and then after hitting home button on DS it went straight to a screen saying to Connect USB for reinstallation for version 9.00 or later. I hit cancel here and the PS4 turned off. I was able to boot it into the normal safe mode and tried all the options with no luck.
I tried both the recovery and ofw downloads of the 9.00 firmware. It goes through the process of installing the update but then after it restarts... PS4 logo for a few moments then restarts back to safe mode asking for USB with 9.00 firmware.

I'm not sure where to go from here and was hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable than myself may have suggestions.
Hoping this isn't too wordy, just wanted to give as much info as possible to avoid the back and forth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, I know I don't have a PS4 myself, BUT I'm still gonna try to help. If it IS the HDD just shitting the bed, just follow this official guide from Sony on HDD replacement. Heck, you could probably even use an SSD!

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps4-upgrade-hdd/

After that, just reinstall 9.00 and any homebrew you had, and it should be good.

Reactions: KiiWii and MH83

MH83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was worried that might be the case. I have another PS4 that's OFW 10.00 and got this one just to play around with. Haven't had it but for about a week. I do notice the drive on the 9.00 sounds a bit more... rough... I'll start looking for a new drive. Worst case I just end up upgrading my 10.00 HDD...

Thanks!

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was worried that might be the case. I have another PS4 that's OFW 10.00 and got this one just to play around with. Haven't had it but for about a week. I do notice the drive on the 9.00 sounds a bit more... rough... I'll start looking for a new drive. Worst case I just end up upgrading my 10.00 HDD...

Thanks!
Don’t upgrade, just put in a new hdd and reinstall 9.00.

Reactions: ILuvGames

MH83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don’t upgrade, just put in a new hdd and reinstall 9.00.
Right, not upgrade my 9.00 to 10.00 just 500GB to 1TB inside my 9.00 PS4. I thought if you had 10.00 already there was nothing you could do to downgrade to 9.00 doesn't it store the highest FW version somewhere other than HDD? For my 9.00 PS4 does it need to be the same size disk for some reason?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right, not upgrade my 9.00 to 10.00 just 500GB to 1TB inside my 9.00 PS4. I thought if you had 10.00 already there was nothing you could do to downgrade to 9.00 doesn't it store the highest FW version somewhere other than HDD? For my 9.00 PS4 does it need to be the same size disk for some reason?
Huh? If your ps4 is on 9.00 and the HDD is acting up there is no reason to update. Just swap the HDD and use 9.00 OFW recovery pup.

MH83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? If your ps4 is on 9.00 and the HDD is acting up there is no reason to update. Just swap the HDD and use 9.00 OFW recovery pup.
Yeah, I get you. I was talking about upgrading the capacity of the HDD not the firmware. I've got two PS4s. One is 9.00 and one is 10.00. I was saying if the 9.00 still won't work I'll just use the new HDD in something else, like the FW10.00 or my laptop. Thanks.

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.