Hacking PS4 5.05 exploit programs/applications

tinpanalley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I don't know what they're called. But my questions are about all the ones that show up when you go into the folder for your firmware.
1. Has someone just got a site that explains what they all do?
2. Why are there more than one to run to run pkgs? HEN, mira, vortex, etc etc. What are they all, why are they different and why are some prefreable to others?
3. Isn't there any way to run these exploits off our system? Do we have to connect online to access and run them? Wouldn't the ultimate in safeness be to avoid going online at ALL with our consoles when we do this stuff?
4. Will it never be possible to run games from higher firmwares? Or is that something being worked on as we speak?

Thank you!!

Lunalik

A Person That Exists
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. I don’t really understand your first question.
2. There are different CFWs, because there is more than one person (or team) in this world. HEN is recommended.
3. By using a the Al-Azif exploit (public or self hosted), you are blocking literally everything but the exploit. You are more or less offline. Coldboot CFW (automatically booting of the system) is underway if that’s what you are asking.
4. CFW will eventually work on on newer versions, but it will most likely never work on the latest version at said point of time. Before CFW was a thing I updated to 5.05. When CFW got released, even though nobody said 5.05 would get anything, but I still waited, because they would do something eventually. I believe they are working on figuring out a kernel hack on 5.5x (not sure if they found one), but be patient.

tinpanalley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. I don’t really understand your first question
A site that explains what all the different programs do in the menu when you choose your firmware version.
Coldboot CFW (automatically booting of the system) is underway if that’s what you are asking.
I'm asking what I said, a way to run HEN or Mira from the internal hdd rather than having to connect so that we're not dependent on an online connection.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There's nothing at the moment that can be called CFW for PS4. For FW 5.05 there are two version of the same HEN (Homebrew ENabler): ps4-hen-vtx and Mira HEN. The first started IIRC from idc's implementation (https://twitter.com/3226_2143) for FW 4.05 (for FW 4.55 there is an independent implementation from m0rph3us1987 other than the Vortex one). Mira HEN objective is to have a full toolchain for applications development and deployment without using Sony copyrighted tools.

Also, the Mira project has persistence in the todo list (last objective), but they are in no way implying coldboot exploits. Forget about it. ^__^

I'm asking what I said, a way to run HEN or Mira from the internal hdd rather than having to connect so that we're not dependent on an online connection.

As it was said dozens of times, current JB entrypoint is a defect in the browser WebKit module, you don't necessarily need to be online to exploit it but it still needs to load a webpage in the browser (and the browser is castrated to not load webpages from the filesystem).

Things aren't going to change unless someone find another entrypoint, that means an input channel where the user has control of the content (for examples: images, audio files, video files) and out of the box the choices are quite limited.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to not find a web browser out of the box in the next console iteration, maybe available for installation from PSN... ^__^;

Lunalik

A Person That Exists
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A site that explains what all the different programs do in the menu when you choose your firmware version.
I’m not sure such website exists, it would be helpful though. And that is what coldbooting is.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
You do know the exploit can run offline since about a week ago, right?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-5-05-exploit-be-ran-offline.507670/

All you need to do is connect once. And then never manually clear the PS4's browser cache. Shut down the PS4? No problem, open the browser, which will open the last loaded page (i.e. the page with the exploit), and that's it. It only takes a few seconds more than an actual coldboot implementation (if one ever comes out).

tinpanalley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You do know the exploit can run offline since about a week ago, right?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-5-05-exploit-be-ran-offline.507670/

All you need to do is connect once. And then never manually clear the PS4's browser cache. Shut down the PS4? No problem, open the browser, which will open the last loaded page (i.e. the page with the exploit), and that's it. It only takes a few seconds more than an actual coldboot implementation (if one ever comes out).
For some people, that had been causing "Kernel Panic" killing people's save files.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not sure such website exists, it would be helpful though. And that is what coldbooting is.

None of the PS4 exploits can be considered cold boot, they all require user interaction to patch a running system. Even if the exploit was hosted on the PS4 (which technically the cached exploit is) then it's still not coldboot.

3. Isn't there any way to run these exploits off our system? Do we have to connect online to access and run them? Wouldn't the ultimate in safeness be to avoid going online at ALL with our consoles when we do this stuff?

You can either use something like an ESP8266 to create a wifi hotspot that doesn't have access to the internet, but can host the exploit.
Or you can go onto your router and block your PS4 from accessing the internet & host the web page on a device on your network. That way the PS4 can access files on your local network, but you can't install game or os updates.

4. Will it never be possible to run games from higher firmwares? Or is that something being worked on as we speak?

I would guess that there will be an exploit for a higher version of the firmware at some point, whether we'll ever be on the current version of the firmware is another matter. I don't know if anyone is working on anything right this second, but there is reason to believe that there is an exploit for a later version of the firmware in private hands.

What tends to happen is they have an exploit that allows them to dump the kernel, then they try to find an exploit that has already been patched in the absolute latest firmware. That way they protect the unpatched exploits.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack