PS3 Slim or PS3 Phat?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by TwinBlades, Dec 23, 2009.

Dec 23, 2009

PS3 Slim or PS3 Phat? by TwinBlades at 5:11 PM (1,164 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. TwinBlades
    OP

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    I was wondering which one would be good? Both for $299 CAN, the Phat comes with 3 games (Uncharted 1, Killzone 2 and Infamous). While the Slim just comes with nothing besides the controller and etc.

Does the phat have any hardware issues? I've heard and read that the Phat one had some issues "Yellow Light of Death" and that it only happens 0.5%

2. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    No real difference except that it was possible to install Linux on the PS3 Phat, the Slim have some USB Ports less and they take out the Card Reader i think

3. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    The slim doesn't suffer from the YLOD or overheats as easily as the Phat, and it's basically noise free when it's on, i can't even hear mine when it's turned on, compared to my Phat which was like a monster truck.

4. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    It was only the launch models anyway that ever suffered from YLOD, bar a few cases here and there.

The Phat isn't that noisy at all, people love to dramatise. If it's a better deal, get the Phat. Nothing wrong with it at all.

5. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    What you mean by card-reader? And ya I've decided to get a slim cause I found a better deal for slim at another store XP.

Thanks guys for the help

6. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Yeah, also, Slim's only have two USB slots and don't have the alternate slots for SD's, and such. And my Phat was always really noisy.

7. mew512

Member mew512 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i got my slim for 200 GBP last month and then got some older games (littlebigplannet and ratchet & clank tools of destruction for really cheap) i got the slim because it uses less power bigger hardrive for music films photos etc and is great fun if you want to save money in the long run ps3 slim is better because of something like 30% less power usage then the phat that way you save money for games [​IMG]

8. pcmanrules

Member pcmanrules GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I just bought a Slim last week and i'm loving it, it's quiet and always works. It was only the early models of the PS3 phat with memory card readers, they removed them like the PS2 hardware. Why would you need more than 2 USB port's anyway? Couldn't you just use a hub if you were that desperate?

9. pcmanrules

Member pcmanrules GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Oh yeah i forgot to mention the PS3 phats are way more expensive in NZ. But yeah, less power consumption is really good and you can spend the spare on games like I did (Wow LittleBigPlanet is awesome and the Ratchet and Clank's). So yeah go with the PS3 slim for a bigger HDD.

10. TwinBlades
    OP

Korea, South
    Thanks for all your help [​IMG] hope we can play on PSN soon XP

11. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Have you heard if there were any plans for PS3 Slim exclusive features, like there are on the PSP Slim? Or does the fact that the PS3 has non-removable storage (the hard drive) as opposed to just NAND prevent that?

12. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    For ps3 slim --- save electricity bill.. ps3 phat --- waste electricity bill.

It is good that it has the "half" power because the fan won't be so loud as the old ps3 and of course its better than the old one. The slim is lightly than PS3.

Other reason you should get SLIM:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/ps3-sli...2-compatibilit/

Where the Slim and its 45nm Cell processor really shine is in the electrical efficiency department. While the results won't be as drastic as when compared with the newer "fat" models, Sony's cut power consumption nearly in half since its initial, 90nm CPU iterations. The results are pretty universal across all applications, with the lone exception being a statistical tie when the models are plugged in and idle. Also reduced is the noise of the machine, and in repeat tests, we stand by our initial results: it's about 2 to 3 decibels quieter on average during gameplay, and up to 10 decibels quieter while watching Blu-ray movies -- nothing to write home about while running missions in Infamous, but during the quieter, more suspenseful moments of Watchmen, there wasn't any loud whirring noises this time to ruin the mood. And regardless, any iteration of the PS3 is gonna be remarkably quieter than the Xbox 360.

The actual temperature hasn't seemed to fluctuate, at least in our experiences: when placed side-by-side on the same shelf under near-identical situations, both consoles hovered at around 106 degrees Fahrenheit when running Folding@Home or playing a Blu-ray disc. Kind of a bummer, but with our electricity bill now marginally lower, guess we can't complain too much here.

13. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    You can't be so sure. The Slim has not been out long enough to establish if it is YLOD prone or not. It took at least 2 years for the older models to die most of the time, how can you judge the Slim when its not been out for 3 (4?) months?