Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
500x_ps3_slim_npd.jpg
QUOTE said:
The newer, slimmer, cheaper PlayStation 3 outsold the Xbox 360 and Wii during the month of September, according to new data from the NPD Group, the first time the console has bested both of its console rivals in the U.S.

Sony's recent price drop was in effect for the full month of September, more than doubling month-to-month PS3 sales to the tune of 491,800. That's easily better than its nearest competitor, the Wii, which managed 462,800 units sold in the United States last month and well beyond what the Xbox 360 sold.

None of those consoles, however, managed to outsell Nintendo's DS platform, which continues its six month streak atop the NPD Group's hardware chart with another half-million plus sold.

Nintendo DS - 524,200
PlayStation 3 - 491,800
Wii - 462,800
Xbox 360 - 352,600
PSP - 190,400
PlayStation 2 - 146,000
Total hardware sales in the U.S. amounted to $472.28 million during the month of September, which runs from 8/30 to 10/03, according to the NPD Group's window. Speaking of NPD, here's what analyst Anita Frazier had to say.

"All three console manufacturers enjoyed the impact of lower prices on unit sales as the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 realized an increase over August of 87%, 33%, and 31% respectively, on an average sales per week basis (keeping in mind September was a 5-week month compared to 4-weeks in August)."

"Compared to last September, the PS3 was the big winner, more than doubling last year's sales," Frazier notes, pointing to last September's less than impressive fifth place finish for the PlayStation 3. "This portrays a very strong consumer reaction to the price decrease as August and September both realized a lift of more than 70% over the prior month."

Source

Dark_linis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Well, just 30k consoles ahead of Nintendo Wii. It's not THAT much
tongue.gif
and at this point, who's still buying Wii's anyway. I'd assume everyone and their grandmother had one by now.

still happy for Sony though. PS3 FTW!!!

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
why i dont know why the ds is still selling so heavily... i cant believe ppl love the PS2 so much as to still buy it... i bet u ppl would have loved it if ps2 still worked with the ps3
still this is great news and i see it more clearly since someone bought it here (in Africa) when it came out

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nice news for sony, perhaps it isn't only a effect of the price, but also of the design, i've seen the classical ps3 of a friend nowaday, and, ähm..its really to big, to shiny, to ugly, but the redesigned is cool, perhaps buy one if there will be a good bundle released

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: btw my updated location I listed isn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's very close to...