Professional Coke Fiend
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the Record I never owned a PS2(shame on me I know) I was just curious if there are any issues I should be careful of if I get a slim(by poss. trade)...

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Hmm... Cant you emulate PS2 on your PC? I dont really know if u should be careful of anything.. Get a memory card! That way you can save =) You might want to hack it though if you do not intend to get any games.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't get a v12, the lasers have a tendency to burn out. Other than that, I can't think of any other slim issues.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
Don't get a v12, the lasers have a tendency to burn out. Other than that, I can't think of any other slim issues.

Is there a way to tell what version it is? like by serial number or whatever?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
7000X is a v12 or 13. V13 are fine, but I don't think there is anyway to tell them apart other than opening them up. So just avoid 7000X models.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
InuYasha said:
Apparently it's a 90001 model silver slim model if that makes a difference...
You may be able to install FMCB on and and get a better use out of it.

To check:

For a SCPH-9000xx PS2 with a datacode of 8B and earlier will work. Datecode of 8C, the bios must be version 220, not 230. Bios version can be check in uLaunch

If you can't, then I'd suggest either a mod chip if you have the time or SwapMagic.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No hardware issues on the 9000 series as far as I know. Although did you intend to mod it? as you didn't mention it in original post. If you do, then just be aware fmcb won't work on 9000 series with a date code or 8C or above

see here

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/scph-9xxx...ormation-63103/

Can still chip them or use swap magic though.

Bah beaten to it
biggrin.gif

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
7000X is a v12 or 13. V13 are fine, but I don't think there is anyway to tell them apart other than opening them up. So just avoid 7000X models.

Even though its irrelevant to the OP, V12 were the first slims available and have a 56k modem while most if not all V13 does not.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ohmy.gif
, didn't know the slim had a modem at some point in some markets. 56K modem never got release here in any form (slim or the network adapter did not have it here).

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
ohmy.gif
, didn't know the slim had a modem at some point in some markets. 56K modem never got release here in any form (slim or the network adapter did not have it here).

Hmm, I guess this doesn't apply everywhere. This is what I go on when I am looking for V13 to use for hard drive mods. The modem is internally socket-ed and is right next to the Ethernet port. On the V13 there is just a hole in the shielding and a missing socket, and possibility other components for it. Oh another thing I noticed is that V12 has a rectangle sticker with four dots and push, to indicate where to push down to close the disc lid. Example. The V13 and later do not have this sticker. This is from personal observation, I have no clue how accurate it is either.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
No hardware issues on the 9000 series as far as I know. Although did you intend to mod it? as you didn't mention it in original post. If you do, then just be aware fmcb won't work on 9000 series with a date code or 8C or above

see here

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/scph-9xxx...ormation-63103/

Can still chip them or use swap magic though.

Bah beaten to it
biggrin.gif

No current plans to mod it(but may look into that in the future not sure),it has been offered in a trade for my gamecube and some games,basically I missed out on the whole PS2 era cause I was really into the nintendo brand,but looking back on it I missed alot of games I would of enjoyed...so i've been watching some DQ8 videos latly and thats probaly be the first game I get...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you've got no plans to mod it, then 9000 series should be fine. Latest model, so hopefully not seen too much usage
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes