PS Vita 1st Gen , board replaced - no sound from speakers

90Ninety

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I picked up a water damaged PS Vita , the Mainboard had corrosion (the button/ controller boards looked fine .) , so I replaced the mainboard . I have installed the mainboard and everything works fine exept , the sound does not go to the speakers - just the headphone jack

I checked the speakers they get 8 Ohms , I check the ribbon connectors they are ok .. Did I get a faulty replacement board , or could it be the controller boards? I ordered some spare green boards just in case these were water damaged too

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Water damage can be anywhere on the board, even if it's not easily visible it doesn't mean it might not be damaged.

Best thing to do, is testing and discarding of damage each zone of the board and daughter boards. Also don't forget to check/test the flex cables.

If you have a microscope at hand take your time and use it to check them throughly.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I picked up a water damaged PS Vita , the Mainboard had corrosion (the button/ controller boards looked fine .) , so I replaced the mainboard . I have installed the mainboard and everything works fine exept , the sound does not go to the speakers - just the headphone jack

I checked the speakers they get 8 Ohms , I check the ribbon connectors they are ok .. Did I get a faulty replacement board , or could it be the controller boards? I ordered some spare green boards just in case these were water damaged too
It's possible you have a damaged headphone jack, it should be fairly simple to solder on a replacement.
I had a DMG game boy with an oxidized headphone jack, and it was always detecting headphones being plugged in, so there was no sound through the speakers.
What I ended up doing was desoldering and disassembling the headphone jack (removing the metal pins) and using a fiberglass brush to scrub off the oxidation on each pin. So I didn't have to buy a replacement. It was a slow and fiddly process, but works perfectly to this day.
There's no guarantee that your issue is the headphone jack, it could be another component. But the headphone jack is in a vulnerable position, so it is a likely culprit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.