Project Stellar, a new OG Xbox modchip with insane expandability

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Conveniently not mentioned, eh?
(There's actually at least one very good reason not to, namely never advertise what you cannot in good faith guarantee especially as a small electronics manufacturer, but still...)

Further, this seems to be a proprietary design with proprietary firmware, that for the same reason may or may not have availability issues like the HyperBoot, or turn out an exit scam* like the PS2NetBox - not something I would put significant money in for benefits I find uninteresting and are apparently more related to the clone kernel!

* = never heard of its author, so no real prejudice against whoever may well be a reputable person - but given we, of all forums, got a finance section it might be worth remembering past performance is not an infallible indicator of the future, see the first name I dropped for one example

Now if it had Hitachi compatible LCD support?
...well, not even that, sorry - there are better value deals to get that :) :(
I was thinking about the same, it cost more than console😝

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Friend, it's time to buy a ps5 already)))
Nah, its gonna take a while before the PS5 is fully hacked and is capable of booting ISOs. Proof-of-concept exploits, although neat, are rather worthless. :/

• Love
Reactions: DebianLoriX

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
That's a 128MB ram update - which is only usefull for a few non xbox games and emulators and for dev purposes. modchips are cheap as chips and most xboxes can be soft modded, the onboard hd mod is good though., However you can get an xbox to hdmi adapter for about £5, I made one with a wiitohdmi adaptor and get 1080i, 720p and 480p output from it with a great picture. As for bios to flash on to a modchip or softmod, cerbios is great and can use massive hard drives and compressed iso files and it's free.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
That's a 128MB ram update - which is only usefull for a few non xbox games and emulators and for dev purposes. modchips are cheap as chips and most xboxes can be soft modded, the onboard hd mod is good though., However you can get an xbox to hdmi adapter for about £5, I made one with a wiitohdmi adaptor and get 1080i, 720p and 480p output from it with a great picture. As for bios to flash on to a modchip or softmod, cerbios is great and can use massive hard drives and compressed iso files and it's free.
yeah, I says the same 100 USD for a chipmod, it cost lots more than console today!

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
yeah, I says the same 100 USD for a chipmod, it cost lots more than console today!
The ram update in those photos is nothing to do with the modchip - so I don't even know why those photos were posted.

https://hackaday.com/2022/06/06/original-xbox-v1-6-ram-upgrade-stacks-tqfp-chips/#:~:text=RAM upgrades for the original,running alternative OSes like Linux.

https://quade.co/2018/xbox-128mb-ram-upgrade/

As for the modchip - any softmod or modchip can run cerbios - which is free....

If you want hdmi - that can be achieved for about £5., So 100usd for something that can be achieved for next to nothing seem pretty excessive unless of course the software made for that chip is amazing.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only the best modchips like the Xecuter and SmartXX goes for a shit ton of money. I highly recommend the Xenium or the Cheapmod Mini if you're looking for a cheap alternative. ;)

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Only the best modchips like the Xecuter and SmartXX goes for a shit ton of money. I highly recommend the Xenium or the Cheapmod Mini if you're looking for a cheap alternative. ;)
There's also this open source version of the xenium:
https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium

Personally I have the Xecuter 3 in my Crsytal OG Xbox, and the crystal front panel that TX released with the lcd screen + bios bank buttons to switch between the bios images. The same as this one -
CrystalPanel.thumb.jpg.5aedd2830f0eb3124c9841e6241ea9c1.jpg

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by SylverReZ,

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also a humble tsop flash works fine for cerbios assuming you aren't on a 1.6 console.
I don't really find TSOP mods to be reliable in my honest opinion. If you're not careful flashing a BIOS, say a BFM BIOS or that its corrupted, then you will most certainly brick your Xbox. Personally, I find modchips to be incredibly reliable since the BIOS is stored on a separate chip and doesn't tamper with the on-board TSOP.

Reactions: mrdude and BaamAlex

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really find TSOP mods to be reliable in my honest opinion. If you're not careful flashing a BIOS, say a BFM BIOS or that its corrupted, then you will most certainly brick your Xbox. Personally, I find modchips to be incredibly reliable since the BIOS is stored on a separate chip and doesn't tamper with the on-board TSOP.
True you should always check checksums on bios files before hand with tsop mods, i have back up methods if it fails to flash but some don't have the hardware needed for that.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Just recently this happened.

He's a biggest dick to the community for sure, trying to kill the OG Xbox as a whole.

How do you know that's true though? It could just be that someone has a beef with MakeMHz and is trying to stitch him up. Where's the proof and what's MakeMHz side of the story? The world and internet are fully of crazy people that make stuff up all the time. (Just visit the politics section on this forum for proof of this). So far all we seem to have is a he said/she said sort of scenario. Also where's the DCMA? - post it so we can read it.

Last edited by mrdude,

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan