Project Scorpio to be revealed on April 6

C8k7JHyXcAA_KJl.jpg

Microsoft Xbox's latest console, codenamed Scorpio, will be getting some light shed on it soon. Digital Foundry, who you might know from their framerate analysis videos, will be getting an exclusive reveal which will go live on their parent site, Eurogamer. The reveal will happen on Thursday, April 6, at 2pm UK time/6am PST.

:arrow: Source

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Microsoft has accepted that their video game console is pretty much just for multiplatforms and the usual Halos, Gears and Forzas. I mean, those that are into those three games will surely love gaming on the Scorpio.

Here's hoping that Sony or Nintendo revive Scalebound and make that game happen. Platinum Games isn't some dev team you just toss away.
It must be on Switch, I would love to play it on portable :wub:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Looks stunning. I'm a little disappointed about the lack of customisability or modularity, but the specs speak for themselves - it's an absolute beast of a console.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

It must be on Switch, I would love to play it on portable :wub:

It would be a blast to have it on the Switch and it'd fill the gap until the next Zelda's on the Switch. :)

Looks stunning. I'm a little disappointed about the lack of customisability or modularity, but the specs speak for themselves - it's an absolute beast of a console.

I agree but the games are only multiplat titles mostly.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware can only get you so far. Its the software that matters.:teach:

Bingo. There's a reason why we still go back and play retro systems like the NES, SNES, Genesis, Playstation, N64, etc. But don't go back to other systems like the Sega Saturn. If your system doesn't have a collection of good games, then your great hardware is only going to get you so far.

Also, very glad to see they didn't go modular with the system, no reason to needlessly make the console landscape even more messy with more differences in compatibility, especially when Microsoft has to know that Sony will inevitably make a PS5, no one wants to have to buy the Scorpio and a couple of modules to get on par with whatever Sony has cooking up next (plus that would inevitably cost way more than just buying a new successor).

Last edited by duffmmann,
Reactions: DrkBeam
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Meanwhile Nintendo will try to reach 1 teraflop on 2019, back on topic the Scorpio will have the best performance on multiplatform games in this Gen, imo ps4 have great exclusives
So far, PS4 has the best console exclusives. Even Nintendo can't beat that.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile Nintendo will try to reach 1 teraflop on 2019, back on topic the Scorpio will have the best performance on multiplatform games in this Gen, imo ps4 have great exclusives
On 2019? what are you crazy? They wont get that far until 2054

On a serious note, i think this is really bad news for third party titles on swtich, since developers (mostly western ones) will focus on scropio and that means games will have to be downgraded even more if they decide to port them on swtich... even now they will have to downgrade them a bit for ps4/ps4 pro.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

On 2019? what are you crazy? They wont get that far until 2054

On a serious note, i think this is really bad news for third party titles on swtich, since developers (mostly western ones) will focus on scropio and that means games will have to be downgraded even more if they decide to port them on swtich... even now they will have to downgrade them a bit for ps4/ps4 pro.
Devs follow where the money is, 'cause they don't make games for free. The Switch is most likely going to take a hit due to PS4 Pro + Xbox Scorpio as it already is.

Reactions: DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devs follow where the money is, 'cause they don't make games for free. The Switch is most likely going to take a hit due to PS4 Pro + Xbox Scorpio as it already is.
That's the thing. The money is already on ps4/pro and now it will likely go to scorpio, leaving nintendo alone or with the worst ports as always...

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think they'd take a bigger hit if Microsoft and Sony lift the restriction that all titles built for the PS4 Pro and Scorpio must still be compatible with the PS4 and Xbone respectively. But I also don't see them lifting that restriction anytime soon since they don't want to anger the owners who bought the original hardware before the improved revision. I can see that restriction being lifted mind you, just not yet, maybe in a year to 2 years from now.

D

Deleted User

Oh, I thought that the One S was what Project Scorpio was supposed to be. I feel a little dumb about that now. I probably thought that because I hardly follow what's going on with Microsoft since I don't own any of their consoles yet.
If things don't change in the Nintendo camp, not only they won't be making systems, they'll be making games for Sony and Microsoft systems.
In all honesty I don't think I'd really mind that. Having PS exclusives and Ninty games on the same console sounds like it'd be kinda cool.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bingo. There's a reason why we still go back and play retro systems like the NES, SNES, Genesis, Playstation, N64, etc. But don't go back to other systems like the Sega Saturn. If your system doesn't have a collection of good games, then your great hardware is only going to get you so far.

Also, very glad to see they didn't go modular with the system, no reason to needlessly make the console landscape even more messy with more differences in compatibility, especially when Microsoft has to know that Sony will inevitably make a PS5, no one wants to have to buy the Scorpio and a couple of modules to get on par with whatever Sony has cooking up next (plus that would inevitably cost way more than just buying a new successor).
The Saturn rocks, you're nuts, man. ;)
I agree but the games are only multiplat titles mostly.
Who cares if they're exclusive or multiplatform, are they good? I hate exclusive content, the idea of nobody being able to enjoy something except for "me and my console bros" is stupid to me, and celebrating it is even dumber. If the console's good, it shouldn't need exclusive content to prop it up. Exclusives are all scams by definition - "Hey, you want to play the next Pokemon game? Better buy the latest 3DS!", as if one had anything to do with the other. Console manufacturers are using their IP's to sell you on their consoles instead of just making their consoles great in their own right, which is backwards thinking. They're hooking you on Product A by presenting how great an unrelated Product B is, and I have no idea why we find that acceptable - in fact, it's encouraged. It's the reason why they can get away with half-baked designs in the first place, nobody wants to "miss out on the exclusives". Ideally exclusives wouldn't exist - they're detrimental to the end users, people who just want to enjoy video games without getting sold a bunch of stuff they don't want. I wish we lived in a world where hardware and software were considered separate realms, but I guess life can't be perfect.
In all honesty I don't think I'd really mind that. Having PS exclusives and Ninty games on the same console sounds like it'd be kinda cool.
I'd miss Nintendo's consoles in the same way I miss SEGA's, they have a specific charm to them due to Nintendo's specific design quirks. That being said, it's preferable to going completely under.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they'd take a bigger hit if Microsoft and Sony lift the restriction that all titles built for the PS4 Pro and Scorpio must still be compatible with the PS4 and Xbone respectively. But I also don't see them lifting that restriction anytime soon since they don't want to anger the owners who bought the original hardware before the improved revision. I can see that restriction being lifted mind you, just not yet, maybe in a year to 2 years from now.

Nah. More like 3 years. By then the next xbox one model will be out and the S models will be discontinued. Look out how fast the original models stopped production after the S model came out. I don't see the S models lasting more then 1.5 to 2 years after the Scorpio models hit the selves.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah. More like 3 years. By then the next xbox one model will be out and the S models will be discontinued. Look out how fast the original models stopped production after the S model came out. I don't see the S models lasting more then 1.5 to 2 years after the Scorpio models hit the selves.

I doubt it'll be that long. In terms of console cycles, where the Xbone and PS4 stand, their proper successors would probably be released in 2019 or maybe 2020. So if Microsoft does lift their restriction on no exclusives on the Scorpio before coming out with a true successor to the xbone, if they want to really capitalize on the opportunity, then I think they'd want to lift that ban somewhere within the next 2 years, else it will all just be a missed opportunity as Sony will be on the PS5 and Microsoft will already need to be releasing a new system to catch up to whatever the specs are that the PS5 will be packing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P