Hacking Project Idea : Super Mario Collection

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, I'm not talking about the "awesome" Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition, but about an fan-made alternative. Actually, this might be quite simple (theorically of course) to do, but I don't know how to program so I can't be 100% sure of what I say !
closedeyes.gif

The "game" would look like a pretty list of every published Mario games unti the Gamecube era, with for example the original boxarts associated to each game and the publishing year. Well, in fact it would be a bit like All-Stars but much more modern, something more beautiful and "youwillsaywow"-ful ! After clicking on a game, we would see its description with a retrospective, informations, pads which it can be played with, etc... The goal is to make what Nintendo SHOULD have made...
cool.gif

How would it work ? I thought actually about something like a global forwarder (something like PunEmu in fact, get the link : http://gbatemp.net/t269893-punemu ), where we could reach the games on a similiar way than in Wiiflow and other USBLoaders for example.

Firstly, I thought about a system able to boot every game on the "forwarder game" (let's giving it that name) with the Virtual Console format ; but it would have excluded all the excellent handled Marios, those who aren't downloadable on Virtual Console and also those who just can't be wad-injected (Yoshi's Island...). But I think I've found the solution on GBATemp and Tgames : autoboot roms emulator ! (you can read that on http://gbatemp.net/t229502-can-i-make-emul...roms?&st=15 , and on http://tgames.fr.nf/questions-aide-wii/inj...-wad-t6520.html and http://tgames.fr.nf/homebrew-wii/iso-homeb...035.html#p53537 if you can read (or google-translate...) french)

Concretly, it boots automatically a game with its own emulator, with three possible methods : a dol rechable by the HBC, a wad or an Iso Forwarder ! So with this system, we can boot NES, SES, GB, GBC and GBA games from a dol, a wad or a forwarder iso ! Unfortunatly, I didn't really understand the method of Tongpall and Patatoni (which is really simple according to them), but I mailed them so that a tutorial will be available soon. For the N64 Marios, the easier way would be to use the Virtual Console wads /isos (or their injected versions), because I don't know if a forwarder rom from Wii64 is possible to make. Separatly, we've solved the problem, I think, of the NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC and GBA Marios. The main problem comes now : the Gamecube Marios, how would it be possible to boot them ?

To make sure everything would work with these games, we will need to burn the "forwarder game" on a DVD (not necessary for those who have a Wode). In this case, the Gamecube Mario games will be able be reached with the classic Gamecube Launcher system, if presents on the same disk than the "forwarder game".

Now, let's talk about the contents ! I think that to be the most complete possible without putting every existing Mario game (at first, let's limite to the "real" Mario games !), we have to put these games at first :

- Donkey Kong
- Wrecking Crew
- Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. : The Lost Levels
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (and maybe Yume K?j?: Doki Doki Panic as a bonus ?)
- Super Mario Bros 3
- Super Mario Land
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
- Super Mario World
- Yoshi's Island : Super Mario World 2
- Super Mario 64
- Super Mario Sunshine

Well, it would be fun to add also the SNES version of Super Mario All-Stars, just to show how ridiculous the Nintendo official pack is !

That list could easily be completed with Wario and Yoshi games, which are historically very near of Mario :

- Yoshi's Story
- Wario Land : Super Mario Land 2
- Wario Land 2
- Wario Land 3
- Wario Land 4

We also just can't forget all these excellent Mario games, not related to the main series but also amazing :

- Mario Paint
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- Paper Mario
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- Paper Mario : Thousand Year Door

Excepting the Gamecube games (1.35 GB if not scrubbed), the other games would easily bring in the DVD...

It would be amazing if we could make that ! I don't think that the coding part would be difficult, because it would be something like a mix of an homebrew launcher, µloader (or any other usb loader) and Triiforce... On the other hand, it might long long to make... but f*cking interesting ! Indeed, if it's possible to make that with Mario, it would be also possible to make a the Legend Of Zelda Collection or A Metroid Collection, for example !

I'm not a programmer myself, but I need interested people that think themselves able to make this project possible to say it on the topic !

Thank you, and Merry Christmas !
yaywii.gif

Main topic here : http://tgames.fr.nf/homebrew-wii/projet-su...tion-t6609.html

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping this was a thread about an actual project in recreating super mario all stars in the nsmbwii fashion...

Just this...

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this would require the use of illegal roms, which you aren't allowed to have on gbatemp

why not make it yourself? You say it isn't hard.

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
monkat said:
I was hoping this was a thread about an actual project in recreating super mario all stars in the nsmbwii fashion...

Just this...

I've ever heard of something like that in the last few weeks...

Fishaman P said:
Should have labeled the title like [IDEA].

Lol, perhaps it would have been better, yeah. ^^

QUOTE(person66 @ Dec 25 2010, 05:49 PM)
this would require the use of illegal roms, which you aren't allowed to have on gbatemp

why not make it yourself? You say it isn't hard.

My idea is just to create the "fowarder game" and to explain people how they would put their how games into the DVD before burning it.
smile.gif

And I said that I just THINK that it's simple, I'm not sure at all. And I'm also not a programmer at all, that's the main problem...

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This would have work in this way:

I'm currently working in project X. It consists of X. I have currently completed x% of the game. These are screenshots of the work done so far. However I need people to help me in X thing. If someone is interested in this project you can PM me.

If you had made a statement like that the topic would be more appealing however jumping here and saying I don't know programming and I want (10 paragraph) of this does not motivate anyone.

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just forgot to write Super Mario Bros 3, sorry !

And I know my post isn't not really motivating, but it just seems really interessant to me... I know people love to read "OK guys, here's my program, everything has already be done, you just have to download it and to take a beer during the installation" (so do I !), but it's not the way it works... Unfortunatly, I'm not a programmer, but I have ideas, and I think it would be stupid to shut up just because I can't realize my ideas by myself...

FullMetalEnginee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While it's a neat idea if it's easy to do. I would still prefer playing EVERY single one of those games in an emulator with save states and upscaled graphics.
I can still play the gamecube versions as is... if only someone could get that usb loader for GC released
tongue.gif

QueenKong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Of course a computer will always be the best to play to old video games, but just imagine something like a Super Mario Collection or a Zelda Collection, with an handsome menu...
cool.gif

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QueenKong said:
Of course a computer will always be the best to play to old video games, but just imagine something like a Super Mario Collection or a Zelda Collection, with an handsome menu...
cool.gif
I'd like to disagree with that. The best way to play old video games is on the original hardware.

However, I'd support a project like this by helping to put together the "extra" content, i.e. the non-game content. But as it stands, until someone gets together a group, there is no project.

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not just decide which Mario game that you want to play at the moment, and launch the corresponding emulator, and then that game? Project done..
Since you can only play one at a time, grouping them together is kind of useless

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The "game" would look like a pretty list of every published Mario games unti the Gamecube era, with for example the original boxarts associated to each game and the publishing year. Well, in fact it would be a bit like All-Stars but much more modern, something more beautiful and "youwillsaywow"-ful ! After clicking on a game, we would see its description with a retrospective, informations, pads which it can be played with, etc... The goal is to make what Nintendo SHOULD have made...
cool.gif

How would it work ? I thought actually about something like a global forwarder (something like PunEmu in fact, get the link : http://gbatemp.net/t269893-punemu ), where we could reach the games on a similiar way in Wiiflow and other USBLoaders for example.

Well I can only say how I'd do it.

First of all I'd put the WOD thing on the back burner. That would only be really cool for few and an annoying extra step for most. How many wii's can't read DVD's at all? That number is only going to get bigger.

Second, I'd mod the emu's (well one to start with) to take some arguments. First step get it to load a rom and start it straight off. Then one that really simplified the menu's (you're only dealing with one game at a time), and then one that set a custom theme/background. It might even be possible to get these accepted as patches upstream so as soon as the emu got updated it worked with the FE.

Then I'd write a re-loading stub so you don't have to go launch the FE every time you exit a game. I'm not sure if you could fit one that can load off of USB into 6k though so that could take some work and might have to be given up on and add another argument to make the emu load the FE at exit...

Then I'd start on the FE itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: like who the fuck cares about NES Golf