Hardware [Project/experiment] Ideas on how using external motion sensor ?

Magatsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, before starting I want to clarify that this topic is only at the state of an idea and is for experimental purpose.

To begin, I got a deficience called cerebral palsy (the motion part of the brain is not fully fonctionnal thus resulting in incapacity to walk and use arms correctly). As a disabled gamer, I feel more and more concerned in accessibilty in gaming. I'm a gamer since my young age and so I've been used to play normaly with classic game controller even if my hands don't do 100% of the job they should. I can use a keyboard and a touchpad with no difficulties (I'm an IT engineer - java development -).

Now that my backgroung have been explained, I can bring the subject.
With the emergence of motion gaming, accessibilty in gaming is becoming a bigger issue as disabled gamers mostly can't use them, I know it by experience. Recently, I've been playing several games on my switch (I'm an hardcore nintendo fan), and have been found frustrated at some moment, which lead me to think about a project to change things.

Basicaly, what I would like to achieve is disconnecting the motion from the gamepad and have it on something else. To see a practical use case : Aiming in splatoon 2. The muscular retractions of my hands prevent me to use the right sticks and the shoot button at the same time, which is very impractical, so I use the motion aiming (which btw is undred time better than annalog stick), the problem is that I can't use it correctly because I can't grab the gamepad (it's put on my lap), I achieve to move it a bit and play, but I got an "average" level, and sadly I'm the kind of guy who wants to perform.

So the idea was : maybe if I could disconnect the sensor chip, reconnect it with wires and put it in a head band, I could use my head to aim. Yeah I would look silly, but who cares.
Of course, this could be used in any game using the motion aiming (hello BotW).

The problem is, I don't know how to do it. I have few ideas but it seems really complicated. The first one was like I said earlier :
disconnecting the chip and use wires. Problems : the chip is **** small and it would require good skills and tools to reconnect the pins without messing up.

Second idea : The pro pad got 2 "motherboard", 1 for the buttons and 1 for the sticks and all the chipset (nfc, bluetooth, motions sensor, ...), the idea here would be to put the 2 board outside the pad. Problem : the 2 boards are connected with a flat 14 pin wire and I can't find one long enought to replace the small one in the controller, plus, it would need to disconnect the joysticks from board 2 and reconnect them with wires.

Last idea : Find a kind of software hack to bind 2 controllers on one channel, one controller would be static and record the input, the second one on the head and sending motions (I know this would look really silly but hey, it's science).

In the end, I don't know what to do and how, so I decided to ask here, maybe some genius would find something :)
Thx for reading me, c ya.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's one bad nightmare