Hacking Programming Chiip help

roush97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to programming chips. I've made my programmer, dongle, and downloaded necessary software. I'm still waiting for my ATmega8. How do I enter a shell command (I'm not great with computers)? Is this something I do from the cmd.exe prompt or is avrdude a program that actually opens up and has menus, etc? Is there a step-by-step guide to using avrdude to program Chiip? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

roush97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so now I'm pretty sure that avrdude is not for Windows. I have WindowsXP. Which program should I use, which one is not too complicated?? Is there a tutorial??

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There is a AVRDude for Win XP and you do enter the avrdude command on the console (cmd.exe). You used to be able to download it from the chiip site, but I don't know where you can get it from now. Here's a step-by-step instruction:

1. Open a console.
2. Change to the folder where you extracted the avrdude and *.hex file to.
3. Enter the command.
4. Observe the output saying you did it and you're done.

rrburkha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use openwii 2.2

you can download a batch file that has already been compiled from their website. all that you have to do is click on the file, then enter your chipset and region and it will program the chip automatically.

dohclude

Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
rrburkha is absolutely right. I have used openWii on my Chiip for several months and I've never had a problem yet, works even better than retail modchips. And with the latest 2.2 you can even do upgrade by DVD-R. Forget the Chiip firmware, it's garbage in comparison.

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, for starters or if you're having troubles, you could try the Chiip FW once. The LED and its blink codes have been incredible helpful for a friend of mine. The LED stated that there's something wrong with the I or C line and behold: the I line connection was ripped off inside the plug. But if everything's working fine, use whatever you want to. But it would be interesting to know, whether OpenWii is making use of the LED, too?

roush97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me if I can program my ATmega8L with the sp12 programmer using a usb to parallel adapter cable? My laptop has no parallel port and my out of date home comp. just crashed. My chip will be here Friday... I hope I can still program it!!

roush97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, soo... I've read there is a usb to parallel adapter that will work, but every adapter I find says it's for "most" printers. I'm pretty sure these will not work. Is there one that will work, and where can I find it?? Please help! Thanks

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@rush97: I don't know and can't recommend one and I believe you'll never find an adapter saying it's guaranteed to work perfectly with all printers, or the manufacturer will get sued to pieces. Because (and I can guarantee you that) somebody will dig out some 8 needle printer weighing 100 pounds back from the times where houses where built around computers and the most simple pocket calculators where bigger than todays desktop PCs (some of you guys my age might remember those)
lecture.gif
And this particular printer will not work with the adapter and then the manufacturer is a liar and a fraud, because he deliberately dupes people into buying the faulty product with his made-up promise. Poeple like him also beat up their wife and kids. Evil lurks everywhere! What makes you so sure it won't work? And if it doesn't, return the damn thing, get your money back and try the next.
blink.gif

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If one of those adapters is cheap then buy it and try it out. Or even return it if it does not work.

If it works for most printers I don't see why it will not work for the Chiip programmer.

Tomito

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
When I try to program my chip and insert the command: avrdude -p m8 -c sp12 -U flash:w:chiip-v1_0_beta5-atmega8.hex -U lfuse:w:0xE3:m -v appears a error that reads:
"avrdude" it's not recognized like an internal or external command or program.
Any help it's much appreciated.

Tom

roush97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I program my ATmega8L with Windows ME. When i run giveio.bat... it won't work. It says it's not supported on this system. Any help/advice would be great. Thanks

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to program my chip and insert the command: avrdude -p m8 -c sp12 -U flash:w:chiip-v1_0_beta5-atmega8.hex -U lfuse:w:0xE3:m -v appears a error that reads:
"avrdude" it's not recognized like an internal or external command or program.
Any help it's much appreciated.

Tom
Are you in the same folder as the avrdude.exe file when you type that command?

Tomito

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I get figured out my problem, there wasn't a EXE file in the folder, I downloaded the program from another source and it did came with an EXE file in the folder, I alreay programed mi chiip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/5fQHvL6iO5k?si=1qrkapNMcghUj07-